Author Topic: Intel Gathering Through Commerce Harrasment?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline seinwave (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
Intel Gathering Through Commerce Harrasment?
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »
I read that officers aboard NPR ships that have been captured will sometimes divulge information on their race's ship classes or a tech.  If NPRs assign officers to commercial ships, wouldn't it be possible to raid said ships with FAC-delivered Marines to gain intelligence? Pretty much it would go like this:

1.  Sneak a stealthy (e. g.  low signature) assault ship holding Marine companies and a rapid shuttle into a developed enemy system. 
2.  Use very large passive sensors on the assault ship to detect enemy shipping.
3.  After observing which planets ships seem to go between, set up on one of these shipping lanes and wait for a freighter to approach.
4.  Once a freighter has approached, use the drop-ship to initiate a boarding attempts at high speeds.
5.  Once the Marines have (hopefully) captured the ship from the civilian crew, you should get intelligence (if the dice rolls well, of course). 
6.  Transfer Marines back to assault ship, do whatever with the freighter (destroy it, stash it away, etc. )
7.  Run away fairly fast as the enemy race probably would have realized you are there by this time.
8.  Wait an appropriate amount of time and return.

Of course, speed would be extremely important or you would probably be blown out of the sky.  I haven't tested this myself but I may be in a position where this would be highly effective.  Can you see any glaring mistakes?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Intel Gathering Through Commerce Harrasment?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
Of course, speed would be extremely important or you would probably be blown out of the sky.  I haven't tested this myself but I may be in a position where this would be highly effective.  Can you see any glaring mistakes?

My recollection is that landing casualties go WAY up with target ship speed.  So even if you've got a fast little fighter trying to board a slow civie freighter, you might still run prohibative losses.

The other one is a standard recommendation - put the passives on a different ship than the boarder.  Basically, all you want on the boarder is engines and drob bays - anything else will slow it down and increase its signature....

John

Offline seinwave (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »
Yeah, I was planning to have the assault ship have all the sensors and the dropship just be a really fast (~20k km/s) FAC for the actual drop.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:55:17 PM »
I'm guessing you've read this thread.

At that speed for the drop ship any target going 1000km/s or slower will avoid loses on the drop.

Offline seinwave (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:57:39 PM »
I think I could whip up a 20k speed gunship pretty well.  Problem would be damaging the ship quickly; maybe some meson cannons on the assault craft?

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:20:06 AM »
Why would you want to damage the craft?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:44:21 AM »
You want to damage a ship you intend to board to reduce their speed.  Your drop capsule troops suffer loss based on the difference in speed between your target and the ships with the drop capsule.  To have no loss from the drop you need to be going 20 times faster than they are.  For example I have some FAC's with drop capsules that go 10,000km/s  If my target is going 5000km/s then only about 25% of my troops will survive the landing.  If instead the target was slowed to 1000km/s I would have 50% and if they were going 500km/s then most of my troops would survive the landing.  As you can see slowing down a target can be very important. 

Brian

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22:08 AM »
I think I could whip up a 20k speed gunship pretty well.  Problem would be damaging the ship quickly; maybe some meson cannons on the assault craft?

Again, put the mesons on a different ship than the sensor ship.  You only need a single BAPS (Big-A** Passive Sensor) for the pirate squadron; you might want to tune the number of meson shooters.  And there will need to be at least one active sensor somewhere if you're going to fire on the target.  Again, you only need one of these and it doesn't have to be too big (since it can have a really high resolution) so you can probably just stick it on the sensor platform.

John

Offline seinwave (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »
Oh damn, I did a test run on this, captured ship, but now I can't figure out how to get the Marines back off it.  Is there some way to transfer between ships?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »
Oh damn, I did a test run on this, captured ship, but now I can't figure out how to get the Marines back off it.  Is there some way to transfer between ships?

Look around in The Academy and Bugs - I have a pretty strong recollection that I've seen this problem go by before.  Have you tried putting the drop ship and the (captured) target in the same TG?  If you do, then I think you should be able to load the drop capsules again (but this might be the bug).

John