Author Topic: MSSTDFMT.DLL  (Read 6314 times)

Offline Orieni01 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • O
MSSTDFMT.DLL
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:59:10 AM »
I don't really know why this isn't stickied somewhere, but I am running W7 as an administrator and have the missing dll issue.   I've downloaded the file from the internet and placed it in the Aurora folder and the system32 folder and the syswow64 folder, tried regsvr32 to tell the system it is there and nothing works.   What is the next thing to try? 

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: MSSTDFMT.DLL
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »
I don't really know why this isn't stickied somewhere, but I am running W7 as an administrator and have the missing dll issue.   I've downloaded the file from the internet and placed it in the Aurora folder and the system32 folder and the syswow64 folder, tried regsvr32 to tell the system it is there and nothing works.   What is the next thing to try? 

Make sure you didn't install Aurora in Program Files.  I don't recall this causing problems with MSSTDFMT.DLL, but am mentioning it because it's the other common pitfall and I can't think of anything else to try.  Only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have the right version for your CPU - there might be a difference between 32 and 64-bit versions....

John

Offline Orieni01 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »
I did not install it into program files.   It is actually in a separate folder off of my desktop.   

So far I've not been able to prove there are 32 and 64 bit versions, and found at least one site which acts like, but does not say outright, that they are the same.   Most, of course, are trying to get the reader to do a free download of a program which will check out your files for free and then fix them, which I note does not say it is free.   

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »
Make sure not to download anything from those dll sites unless you're 200% sure that it's not exactly the DLL and nothing else. Recently supposedly registry fixer have turned up all over the internet that try to sell you various crap after "finding" three gazillion of registry errors on your OS.

On a previous install my aurora worked after I had put the DLL into the game folder, but the last time I installed nothing helped until I downloaded and installed the 'shutdown timer' program mentioned in a related thread. The program didn't do anything malicious, I uninstalled it afterwards, but it registered the DLL in some way my regserv attempts could not. Don't ask me why I had to run an installer instead of regserv, but now it works like a charm.
Link to the thread (and the program that made aurora work for me again): http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1715.msg21036.html#msg21036

Offline Orieni01 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »
Neat!  It works.   First time I've ever seen the system view.   Thanks.   Now, if I can't get the scores of mineral packets orbiting the sun into my planet, I can at least magic some there.   

Offline Tuck Davis

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 01:23:48 PM »
I necro this thread because it is still helping people (like me) .  .  .  .   even works on windows 10 :D

BIG thx :)