Author Topic: A Conclusive Tech Tree (Ongoing)  (Read 28511 times)

Offline Turmoil (OP)

• Petty Officer
A Conclusive Tech Tree (Ongoing)
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:53:46 AM »
So I have been playing Aurora for about a year, and got frustrated with the fact that there were no tech trees other than the outdated wiki.   So I got access to the database and started building one on my own.   One problem though: It's massive.   I split it into several smaller trees, and am working on each tech category one at a time.   I am including the first few (3) that are 100% complete, and I will put up the rest as I finish them.   They are flowcharts in PDF pages, so the quality of the image will be pretty low, but decent enough to read.   I have included all technologies, including those which are already researched at the beginning of the game (such as the base genetics in the biology tree).   Each tech comes with the cost in parenthesis, example: Capacitor Recharge Rate 1 (1000) <-- the cost is 1000 RP.   If anyone wants an altered version of the trees, for example one with all pre-researched techs removed (I know somebody will recommend this), let me know.   If an idea has enough support, I will do it.   I would prefer not to have too many changes, because this is hard work.   The info comes *directly* from the database, with all cross-references taken into consideration, so please bear with me.   I have been at this for 3 months and only have 3 out of 9 (I think) complete.   I have uni to worry about as well, so work is painfully slow.  

Finally, I hope you all appreciate this, and feel free to transcribe it to the wiki or do whatever, as long as you attribute.   Of course, Steve has the final word considering I am using his database for the source, but so far he is fine with these being released.  

Update for v6.2 - I have the first two categories done, and a new format based on feedback from the community. I've taken down the old versions since they are now outdated and I don't want to confuse people. The new version is basically the same thing, just with a new color code, and better organization. I intend to have the next two up in a few days, but as many of you probably guessed, my schedule isn't too reliable. Without further raving on my part, here are the Power & Propulsion and the Sensors & Fire Control trees for v6.2

Added energy weapons. Chances are most of you will be reading this a few hours from now, so welcome to 2013!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:49:26 PM by Turmoil »

The following users thanked this post: SenniTreborius, Eschar

Offline Victuz

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: A Conclusive Tech Tree (Ongoing)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:01:29 AM »
God Bless you.
For a person like me who literally just started playing the game and has no real idea what a lot of the techs do this is fantastic!

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:10:23 AM »
Great job! I've spent some hours on the wiki a few weeks ago, but I didn't update the tech tree info; actually, I wasn't aware that it's outdated. I'll post it on the wiki later.

One small thing: could you mark the tech for a default TN start? Perhaps just a different color for the text boxes.

Offline Turmoil (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »
I actually was thinking of a way to mark which techs each start gets, like a green for all techs given to pre-newtonian and a red for anything additional to that in a TN start. . .  Or something like that.

And to the new guy: that is precisely why I did this, because when I started, there was no way to tell what each tech did and how they interacted.  For example, in the Propulsion section, power plants and engine techs cross-react.  I didn't know that.  And I still don't remember the tech prereqs for advanced sensors, but the tech tree for that branch answers that question.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:21:52 AM »
I've stickied the thread.

Steve

Offline Turmoil (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 12:51:45 PM »
Thanks, Steve.  I'm almost done with the missiles/kinetic weapons tree.  I think I already mentioned this, but I'm in uni so I only have about 4-8 hours per week, as opposed to almost 16-20 on vacation (since I still have no job, which I'm hoping will change soon. . . )

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »
One thing I noticed, which is kind of sad, is how extremely linear the tech tree advancement is.  I always knew this but now that it is in graphic form it becomes extremely obvious.  Something to think about for future updates would be some technologies that are dependent on the development of other technologies to be unlocked.  Thereby creating an actual tree as opposed to the current string.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
I'm not sure if that would be better than the current system. Too many dependencies and you force placers to adopt the same research strategy each time instead of being able to ignore a branch completely, as it is now.

@Turmoil: could you mark plasma torpedoes and other special tech as not being research-able?

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
You could still follow a single branch if you wanted to do so.  Kinetic, energy and missile technologies do not readily overlap.  I was thinking more along the lines of new components becoming available once you have reached Kinetic lvl X and Tracking lvl X, or missile lvl X and engine lvl X.  You know, branches?

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »
Great!

But, could you set the lines of Trans-newtonian Technology and perhaps Cargo Handling System to a different colour? They mess up a lot of other lines in the techtree.

edit: The same thing is suggested a few posts back. Ignore me please :P

Offline Turmoil (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
This week I won't be doing any work.  I spent 20 hours this weekend alone on filming projects for school, and I have to spend this week editing the videos.  Next week I will start on the next tree.

@Zook: I'm confused.  What do you mean by "special techs"? In the research database, the only techs that need to be removed are "RD" which are the racial techs.  Maybe you or Steve can explain what you're trying to tell me.

@xeryon: There are branches, sort of.  Check the first tech tree (I think its the first).  A few techs don't get enabled until another line reaches a certain point.

@Dutchling: I can try, but I'm not sure if the lines will actually be able to change colors.  I remember trying something like that, and ended up changing half the tree! It's a delicate process :P I'm sure there is a way to do it with one of the hundreds of controls on the program, so when I do the next version of the trees, I'll play with the program.

Finally, my opinion on the tech tree redesign: I personally like the linear system.  For one, it makes designing a tree easier (example, the overlap between the Power System and Engine tech took me twice as long to do as the rest of that tree, because I had to constantly resize everything. ) and also because it makes tech easier to manage.  For example, if I wanted to improve my laser's speed, I don't want to waste time also increasing its power output.  That's obviously a terrible example for many reasons, but you get the idea: I would like to focus on one aspect of my technology without having to spend time on the others.

I hope the current techs are helping everyone visualize and better plan their conquests, I am going to play a little to relax for what's left of my weekend before I have to start the editing.  Enjoy your spoilers!

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »
I meant that e.g. the plasma torpedo tech is available only when you capture or steal it from others.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 03:59:04 AM »
Is the only way of getting your hands on advanced railguns by salvaging it from precursor sites and ships?

Offline Turmoil (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »
I wasn't aware there were techs like that.  The database has no special notes on those, so it would require checking in SM mode on the game.  I'll go through it on the second version.  Or someone who knows the system could put the notes down here.

Also, I'm not even sure if I will finish before 6. 0 comes out, so if Steve beats me to it, I'll just finish the first version and start over for 6.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »
I wasn't aware there were techs like that.  The database has no special notes on those, so it would require checking in SM mode on the game.  I'll go through it on the second version.  Or someone who knows the system could put the notes down here.

Also, I'm not even sure if I will finish before 6. 0 comes out, so if Steve beats me to it, I'll just finish the first version and start over for 6.

Anything labeled "advanced" is scavenged tech only. Except plasma torps as noted earlier.