Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 169075 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Semi-Official 7.0 Suggestion Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
Option to randomly select a name from a list instead of going in list order.

The Class, Ship and Shipyard windows now have a Select Name option in addition to the normal Rename. Select Name opens a window with a LOT of names from which you can choose.

There are two sections. In the first you select a Theme and see all the Class and System names. In the second you can see all ship names from each ship name category. Whichever name you click last is shown at the bottom. When you press Select, your ship or class is renamed accordingly.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 11:25:57 AM »
In terms of the image packs - that is something I haven't looked at in a long time. If someone has a list of the correct images for each planet, I can update the database accordingly.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
A check box in the Research tab that automatically allocates the maximum research labs to the selected scientist (while honoring the amount available)

Added for v7.1

It will be set to maximum for scientist or maximum available, whichever is lower.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:42:27 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 11:41:09 AM »
My suggestion is that the unrest notifications shouldn't break automatic turns unless the unrest rises past a threshold, perhaps just 1%.  That would help for the usual case where the civlian lines alternately add colonists and infrastructure to a planet, causing the unrest to rise and fall my tiny amounts.

At the moment, unrest doesn't end automatic turns. I've just checked the DB and it is flagged as a 'No Interrupt' event.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 03:08:46 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8107. msg83654#msg83654 date=1450633269
At the moment, unrest doesn't end automatic turns.  I've just checked the DB and it is flagged as a 'No Interrupt' event.

I guess it's something else then :)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 04:39:47 PM »
In terms of the image packs - that is something I haven't looked at in a long time. If someone has a list of the correct images for each planet, I can update the database accordingly.
The best I can do is images of every object over 1000 km diameter that's been visited by a probe, will that do? XD
 Though for OCD I intended to include more of the smaller moons which had good pictures too, I'll get right on that.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 09:55:12 AM »
Could the Technology Report window show unresearched racial techs as well?

Also, I think the realistic promotions feature ought to consider unfilled positions when assigning promotion points. For example, brigadiers who could command a division which currently has no commander should get extra points (or perhaps should just be promoted outright) so that eventually that position can be filled.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »
It'd be nice if you could designate a common system as neutral, regardless of other relations between races.

I.E. Sol is neutral with 6 empires on it. Outside of Sol, relations are as normal, war/peace/etc. In Sol, peace is maintained.

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 02:17:37 AM »
Minor thing, would it be possible to display the total amount of PPV in a task group, maybe in the History/Officers/Misc tab with the fleet tonnage?

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 02:15:51 PM »
I'd like to see the ability to name colonies.  I have a power on a planet that has taken multiple colonies from various other nations and it is getting hard to determine which prior colony is which.
Move foward and draw fire

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »
It would be nice to have the current date somewhere in the Player Race Production Overview window (ctrl+F8), and the "Queue Yes/No" row in all the tabs, not just imminent events.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 12:27:55 PM »
For those of us who actually cart teams around, it would be extremely nice to have a "pick up all teams" and "drop off all teams" commands in the task force window.

Because you know, manually clicking 10 times or so pick pup, pick up, pick up, pick up... pick up and then drop off, drop off, drop off, drop off".... is horrible XD

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2015, 01:40:21 PM »
Indeed. I've always thought that it would make more sense if we gave the teams automatic survey orders the same way we can give a survey tg an automatic order to survey things. If we could give our courier ships automatic orders to pick up teams and ferry them to their destinations, it would simplify things greatly.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 09:15:31 PM »
Are conventional tech NPRs still unable to advance to transnewtonian? Is it possible to add an option allowing them to advance, or maybe add a spacemaster command to do so.
I do appreciate the idea behind low tech races that are stuck in the dark ages, and in fact my next game relies on them being unable to advance. However it would be good if they can upgrade at some point, even if it's using SM mode.
Specifically it might be useful when running a conventional level game to have NPRs that start on a similar footing and advance in a similar way to players.
Also in relation to this, maybe new slightly downgraded from level 1 techs could be introduced to allow low tech races to actually have conventional militaries and sprawl through their own system.
Specifically smaller versions of ICBMs with speed greater than 1 for ships, low tech sensors, rail guns, microwaves, maybe an advanced conventional engine that has greater thrust to weight.
Maybe even low tech infrastructure. Give them something to do while stuck at low tech.
Related to this, I recall that at least one of the production settings for creating a new empire doesn't actually change how productive the empire is. I believe wealth alters income, but production efficiency just changes starting industry without altering per factory production.
It would be nice to have options that change industrial output, research, population growth, per capita income, mining production. Etc for find grained control of races.
I'm specifically hoping for a way of changing research percentage so I can make a game drag on for decade at low tech levels, I can do it in a way using only human controlled empires,  but of course NPRs wouldn't follow my self imposed restriction.
In relation to this too,  assuming these options are added and would also be available on the create new empire screen that pops up when you make a new empire, how about an option to allow that empire to be sited on a homeworld in a new randomly generated system rather than on a soecific body. You can already add specifically crafted empires to certain worlds, or have completely random NPRs, why not a combination? Although the same thing is achievable by merely spawning a new system, adding the NPR then uh... Forget the system exists?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:34:11 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 11:02:58 PM »
I am a fan of Marc's ideas. I really like the idea of being able to finely control the nations more. For a real world example look at China vs the US, China has close to 4x the population but not 4x the wealth, or industry, or research capability. Right now a higher population empire will be stronger than a lower population and there is no real way to simulate less advanced nations like the Third World or anything.