Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 172630 times)

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #495 on: October 02, 2016, 07:17:42 AM »
Here's a few:

How about an option to pause moon motion, but leave planetary motion on? After all, moons follow their planets around and have relatively tiny orbital diameters. It wouldn't break my suspension of disbelief any more than halting asteroids. :)

How about the ability to scrap PDCs, getting back some of the resources used to make them?

How about being able to chain up research in valid prerequisite order? I mean, to be able to say, up front, that you want to research, say, Mining Rate 500, then Mining Rate 600, then Mining Rate 720, etc, without having to use work arounds like top-queueing.

Actually not sure if this isn't in, but I haven't found it: How about ships being able to target their own current position/task group? For example, if I had a bunch of orbitals and tugs in the same Task Group, I would like to be able to select that in the location list, so that I could tractor the orbitals right from there.

Not so much a suggestion, as an inquiry: Is the database properly indexed? The other day at work, we had a major slowdown handling user requests, because there weren't proper indices in our database for the queries that the users were making. Adding them (an index each for every problematic query, with all the fields from the WHERE clause for that particular query) reduced request time by an order of magnitude.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #496 on: October 02, 2016, 04:54:57 PM »
Some minor (or major) suggestions:
- It would be nice if we could choose which events do break the auto cycle
- when Leader Auto Assign is turned on there should be either an option to NOT scrap the unused officers OR get a list where you can confirm if you want to scrap them (also it might be handy if we could choose the length of the "scrap them after x years")
- choosing the name visibilty on the system map PER object or task group could be handy (I for one have a PDC_Group on every planet which I don't need to see the name of; I know it is there)
- having a general parameter which influences the population growth per game would also be nice. To me it feels like the pops are growing way to fast (at least for my playstyle)

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #497 on: October 03, 2016, 03:07:08 AM »
Ooh, ooh! Auto-assigning civilian administrators, please?

Or at least a specific event type that says "an administrator with an actual job died, please replace him", so it looks like something other than officer health update spam?

Offline bitbucket

• Chief Petty Officer
  • b
« Reply #498 on: October 04, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »
If we really want to go for accuracy here, maybe we could tweak Earth's initial atmosphere a little bit.

This is what we're actually breathing right now:

It warms the planet 0.11° C but that really shouldn't matter, and human baseline tolerances don't need to be changed.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #499 on: October 04, 2016, 12:39:49 PM »
A nice addition to the Auto-Assign Feature would be defining which type of leader a position should be filled with. The most automatic part is good, but there are several positions which are not filled by the automatic routine - obviously because the position can be filled with a different fitting variety of leaders, depending on taste. So why not giving a "job description" for those positions, so the auto routine can fill them according to the job description?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #500 on: October 08, 2016, 11:25:32 PM »
Why is it that mining is free without any cost to wealth? That doesn't make much sense IMO.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #501 on: October 09, 2016, 02:17:25 AM »
Why is it that mining is free without any cost to wealth? That doesn't make much sense IMO.
Whats going to take payment, the planet? Seriously though, it does make sense because the mines are government owned, so they get a majority of the minerals extracted without needing to pay. This also helps to explain why civilian shipping lines don't use apparent minerals to build and why they pay you when they build ships. Because the numbers present in the geosurveys are representing the government share of the minerals.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #502 on: October 09, 2016, 05:03:44 AM »
Increase a probability for any JP to open at more massive stars, not only closest ones.
Jump net maps with real stars option will be much more spectacular.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #503 on: October 09, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »
Whats going to take payment, the planet?

Generally speaking millions of people don't work for free  ;)

I just found it very inconsistent that having say 30 million workers mining don't cost any wealth at all, but all other manufacturing actions from F2 Summary ( except financial centers whose purpose is to generate wealth ) where people can be employed will cost you wealth.

Actually double-checking now it seems that Fuel Refinery Workers also work for free...

And it would also make sense if unemployed workers ( available workers ) generated less tax due to unemployment subsidies.

For consistency both Fuel refinery and mining workers probably should need wealth to operate.

are representing the government share of the minerals

It still doesn't make sense this would apply only to mining/fuel refineries. There must be civilian research and construction going on as well outside the government share to an equal degree that there is mining!

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #504 on: October 09, 2016, 04:14:18 PM »
Another idea.

It would be interesting to see a size/cost breakdown of category of systems somewhere in shipdesign. This I think also could help newer players create more balanced designs.

For example:

Offensive Systems: 20%   (weapons, active sensors, fc... )
Defensive Systems: 18%    (armour, shields, CIWS, passive sensors... )
Propulsion Systems: 31%  (engines)
Endurance Systems: 31%  (fuel, engineering, crew quarters... )

Or they could use the 5 categories in the Components list (Weapons & FC, Defences, Engines, Sensors, General).

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 04:16:30 PM by alex_brunius »

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #505 on: October 10, 2016, 12:16:11 AM »
Heat-generating installations to warm up the really-cold places. There are some bodies, which while habitable, are just too damn cold, even with greenhouse factor 3. I figure enough fusion plants working the heaters might help.

Alternatively, mirrors elsewhere that redirect light to a given planet. Could even be cooling down that place, and warming up the target.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #506 on: October 10, 2016, 03:44:23 AM »
Heat-generating installations to warm up the really-cold places. There are some bodies, which while habitable, are just too damn cold, even with greenhouse factor 3. I figure enough fusion plants working the heaters might help.

Alternatively, mirrors elsewhere that redirect light to a given planet. Could even be cooling down that place, and warming up the target.

The issue is that unless there is an atmosphere the heating will just radiate and dissipate out into space instantly. It's like trying to heat a house without walls, where the surroundings are -273 degrees cold...  ;D So if such heating is available it would need to scale off atmosphere too anyways ( not a replacement for atmosphere ).

Mirrors to redirect sunlight from one body to another probably also is not feasible even with Sci-fi tech unless they are very very close, (say closer then our moon) due to light scattering and such on interplanetary scales.

So this part Aurora got somewhat accurate (where manipulating atmosphere is the way to change temperature).

Actually the cost of heating via fusion plants would probably be as expensive as doing orbital habitats... So you could just go for these instead and RP that they are powerplants used for heating. ( if you want to heat a -250 degree body without atmosphere ).

I guess you could hollow out and heat the insides of an asteroid for example (where walls act as insulators), but the cost of heating would probably be pretty minor in comparison to the hollowing out part, so it's probably included in the underground infrastructure cost already.

But what I would like to see the most when it comes to terraforming is that surface area on the body impacted how much atmosphere is needed, and that surface area also limited how much population you can have at colony cost 0. After a few hundred million for moons and some billions for Earth type planets you would have used up all "easy" space for farms, nature preserves, manufacturing, housing, services and such, and have to use infrastructure / Skyscrapers to fit more population.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:54:47 AM by alex_brunius »

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #507 on: October 10, 2016, 04:10:23 AM »
I meant the sunlight redirection to be in conjunction with greenhouse gases. So those walls around the house are there, it's just that the heat that gets there is insufficient (but already considerably amplified).

Offline totos_totidis

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #508 on: October 10, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »
I think that bioweapons should be added.  You could use them to kill the population of a planet without damaging the surface structures.  Also each species would need different biological agents to kill it.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #509 on: October 10, 2016, 09:19:28 AM »
I think that bioweapons should be added.  You could use them to kill the population of a planet without damaging the surface structures.  Also each species would need different biological agents to kill it.

I remember reading that the reason this is not inplemented is because it would remove the need of ground combat to capture enemy planets somewhat intact.

And I kind of agree it's would make the game too easy.