Author Topic: Special Ship Class  (Read 1888 times)

Offline siath (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • s
Special Ship Class
« on: January 08, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
I would like to see a special ship class you select like you do tanker.

Call it 'Survey'.
It would classify a ship as a survey vessel that would then get special conditional orders to allow it to have a survey team assigned (loaded, multiple teams?) and take them around and let them team survey objects (moons, planets, and asteroids).

Maybe as a limitation is should have to be a certain tonnage (HS) like 500 - 600 tons or something.

The following users thanked this post: Havan_IronOak

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
Re: Special Ship Class
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 03:00:18 PM »
No, bad idea. Bad idea.

Any ship can board\unboard teams AFAIK. If you want to have conditionals involving teams, they should be available to every ship.

Offline siath (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 03:08:12 PM »
I figured there was a reason these conditionals weren't in yet.  This is why I suggested a special ship, however either way works.  Conditionals would be nice for this task.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:00:15 PM »
I think it's a great idea. Call them courier ships, and allow any team to call the nearest courier ship to take them where they want to go; you would still be able to pick up a team with any ship manually.

Of course, at the moment only geology teams need to move around a lot. Diplomatic teams can talk to the scary aliens from home just fine, and I believe the espionage teams just need to be taken to an alien colony once. (I guess that counts as moving around a little bit.)

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 02:41:08 AM »
I love this idea.

I'm creating and disbanding geo-survey teams a LOT in my current game. Their low rate of success makes its less than fun. It really seems like the kind of thing that should be automated.  BTW... if you really want this considered, I understand that it needs to be posted to the official suggestion thread. http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8107.0
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:42:44 AM by Havan_IronOak »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 06:25:38 AM »
I'm creating and disbanding geo-survey teams a LOT in my current game. Their low rate of success makes its less than fun.
Why? You do know you can just transport them around with any ship. Plus, it really wouldn't work as well as you think.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 08:20:22 AM »
Also while it can be breaking to RP if used on tiny far off comets at the edge of known space, you do not actually have to transport a team at all. Simply make a colony on any body you want then on the F2 screen select that colony and add a team there using the team tab. I have no problems with this as I only do a full ground survey on a body that is already being setup with mining equipment and so I consider that the team could of simply got a lift from one of the civilian transports taking the colony equipment there.