Author Topic: Civilian Industries  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Neceros (OP)

• Petty Officer
Civilian Industries
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:04:52 PM »
Hello!

I heard that 7. 2 contains the ability to turn off civilian fleets.  Does this mean it stops them from being able to create new lines, or lines & ships, or all activity entirely?

I would personally enjoy if I could have more control over the civilians, as in creating the new shipping lines manually, not automatically. 
Also, I don't like that it stops the auto-days when civilians make or refit/scrap ships.  I don't really care if they do that.

Thanks!
-N

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
Re: Civilian Industries
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 11:43:02 PM »
I would personally enjoy if I could have more control over the civilians, as in creating the new shipping lines manually, not automatically. 

You can do this already.  You may have to be in SM mode, but there is a button to add a shipping line on the shipping line page.

Adam.

Offline Neceros (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 01:53:38 AM »
I meant in lieu of automatic.   I don't want them to make their own lines.   I want them to stay quiet and do nothing if I set them to do so.   My poor CPUs

Edit:

Actually, thinking about it, it's the civilian colonies I don't like.  I don't like the civ colonies at all.  I'd get rid of them if I could.  I like the shipping lines, though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:55:33 AM by Neceros »
-N

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:25:46 AM »
I meant in lieu of automatic.   I don't want them to make their own lines.   I want them to stay quiet and do nothing if I set them to do so.   My poor CPUs

Edit:

Actually, thinking about it, it's the civilian colonies I don't like.  I don't like the civ colonies at all.  I'd get rid of them if I could.  I like the shipping lines, though.
"Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
Once you've mulled on the matter enough, toss some nukes at them if it doesn't make you feel bad.

In pre-emptive terms, I think you can stop the formation of civilian colonies by dropping some colonies on any mineral-bearing asteroids. I heard around that it stops civ colonies from forming, though, I may be wrong.

It'd be nice, though, if civilian colonies were instigated by a process, where they would have a petition that you could either accept or deny. If you accept, they'll use civilian shipping to move the components of the colony over, rather than just automagically appear on the spot.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 12:04:02 PM »
In pre-emptive terms, I think you can stop the formation of civilian colonies by dropping some colonies on any mineral-bearing asteroids. I heard around that it stops civ colonies from forming, though, I may be wrong.
You're not wrong.  I often check for important resources in a system and reserve any particularly good bodies for my own use, even if I don't plan to put mines there immediately.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 04:08:30 PM »
For a CMC you have two options at present, firstly you can simply abandon them whenever you want as per one of your own colonies. The second method would be an RP solution, I would guess that any civilization that forbid the formation of a CMC would be somewhat despotic and quite heavily militarised. As such simply create a second player race and SM them both ground forces and transport ships, then when a CMC is established use this second race as your "peace keepers", send them to take over the colony and afterwards simply gift it to your main race empire. Then you have yourself a nice free automated nationalised mining colony.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 04:23:06 PM »

Edit:

Like it was said above, you can already create new Shipping_Lines. You can also achieve better control over your civilian by offering Civilian contracts or by establishing large civilian sector (many colonies with about 15mil+)

But all the above will eventually strain your CPU, while Civilian mining complex are the least CPU intensive and are a great way to generate extra wealth\res income if you need it. If you use the hide CMC from the economy screen its almost as if they aren't there, or you can simply use the Abandon colony.

Offline Neceros (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 06:58:47 PM »
Quote from: Mor link=topic=8403. msg87555#msg87555 date=1456957386
Like it was said above, you can already create new Shipping_Lines.  You can also achieve better control over your civilian by offering Civilian contracts or by establishing large civilian sector (many colonies with about 15mil+)
Great information! I already knew it, but hopefully it helps others.

Quote from: Mor link=topic=8403. msg87555#msg87555 date=1456957386
But all the above will eventually strain your CPU, while Civilian mining complex are the least CPU intensive and are a great way to generate extra wealth\res income if you need it.  If you use the hide CMC from the economy screen its almost as if they aren't there, or you can simply use the Abandon colony.

Oh really? Okay, I really don't mind the CMCs then too much.  I suppose you are right that the shipping lines take up the CPU.  I need a new CPU I guess.
-N

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 01:11:39 AM »
For a CMC you have two options at present, firstly you can simply abandon them whenever you want as per one of your own colonies. The second method would be an RP solution, I would guess that any civilization that forbid the formation of a CMC would be somewhat despotic and quite heavily militarised. As such simply create a second player race and SM them both ground forces and transport ships, then when a CMC is established use this second race as your "peace keepers", send them to take over the colony and afterwards simply gift it to your main race empire. Then you have yourself a nice free automated nationalised mining colony.
Oooh, I like this idea! Very flavorful, and can even be phrased amiably. For instance:
Illegal "civilian" mining operation, violating national law in which certain locations must be locked down from civilian operations or similar due to them being either military assets or otherwise a threat to national security. On top of that, they're trying to bribe the government by throwing a portion of their profits at them! Unacceptable.
As a result, your empire sends PMCs branded as "Space cops" to deploy ground units on the colonies in question, seize the illegal assets, and secure the location.
Just another day on the space frontier, partner.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 01:14:33 AM »
Oooh, I like this idea! Very flavorful, and can even be phrased amiably. For instance:
Illegal "civilian" mining operation, violating national law in which certain locations must be locked down from civilian operations or similar due to them being either military assets or otherwise a threat to national security. On top of that, they're trying to bribe the government by throwing a portion of their profits at them! Unacceptable.
As a result, your empire sends PMCs branded as "Space cops" to deploy ground units on the colonies in question, seize the illegal assets, and secure the location.
Just another day on the space frontier, partner.

Why not just buy the minerals?

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 01:18:21 AM »
Why not just buy the minerals?
Because they don't belong to the people you're buying it from! It's an illegal harvesting operation taking place on government property. They must be shut down, ere the many commercial groups begin to think the might of the government holds no sway against them. It is important, as you, the player, stand between hostile aliens, and the total extinction of your species.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 02:09:01 AM »
No, they're contractors at that point. :)

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 02:23:24 AM »
I'd love to make slave labor out of them and turn it into a penal colony, but there is no population involved here and once reconquered wouldn't the CMC continue operations as before?

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 02:59:40 AM »
I'd love to make slave labor out of them and turn it into a penal colony, but there is no population involved here and once reconquered wouldn't the CMC continue operations as before?

If they do revert back to a standard CMC then you just need to SM in x10 automines per CMC once you capture the colony.