Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 445774 times)

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #960 on: August 21, 2017, 09:13:40 PM »
This showed up on HN the other day, and I immediately thought of Aurora: https://common-lisp.net/project/mcclim/static/media/screenshots/u68N7VD.png

It's not nearly as complex as Aurora's map, but it has a nice and simple way of drawing ownership as an area on the map.

MJOne

« Reply #961 on: August 22, 2017, 12:13:28 AM »
Hi

I think its too messy and very disco-like. 
I like the plain old one better, its easy to read and no unneccesary blings.

Aurora should not become graphic heavy, as it is that keeps the creator focus on the best aspect of the game, gameplay.

Offline Felixg

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #962 on: August 22, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »
Steve

I love the concept of titans, they are awesome, but please, change the names you have there for them.

Instead of going with names from GW who are lawsuit happy go with something like

Scout, Tactical, Strategic titans
or
Scout, Battle, War titans

Just something that isn't so immediately recognizable as 40k.

Offline ChildServices

• Hegemon
  • Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #963 on: August 22, 2017, 09:56:20 PM »
I love the concept of titans, they are awesome, but please, change the names you have there for them.
Just something that isn't so immediately recognizable as 40k.

Ikr. It seems really out of place when all of the other ground troops have generic names.
Aurora4x Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Q5ryqdW

Cold as steel the darkness waits, its hour will come
A cry of fear from our children, worshipping the Sun
Mother Nature's black revenge, on those who waste her life
War babies in the Garden Of Eden, she'll turn our ashes to ice

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #964 on: August 23, 2017, 04:07:43 AM »
What exactly is sky scrapper size ground vehicle doing that would be consider scouting?

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #965 on: August 23, 2017, 06:36:00 AM »
Looking over small mountains?

Offline dukea42

• Leading Rate
  • d
« Reply #966 on: August 23, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »
Skirmish Titan? 

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #967 on: August 23, 2017, 05:21:49 PM »
Frankly, you could scrap the Titans and it doesn't seem like the game would grow worse for it. It'll work in some games and contexts, but not really in most.

The following users thanked this post: MagusXIX, ChildServices

Offline lennson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #968 on: August 23, 2017, 06:40:17 PM »
More advanced ground units could play a more important role if they were expanded to have some amount of ground to space capabilities. As it is a invading ground force is rather helpless without support from space against a counter attack from space. As far as I know there is no way presently to way drop into place ground to space defenses since a PDC needs to be assembled.

This would be a lot more complicated than what is currently on the table but the point is there could be value to increasing the role of ground units.

The following users thanked this post: MagusXIX, serger

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #969 on: August 24, 2017, 12:23:45 AM »
Well, any expansion of the ground warfare section is only good, as it's really barebones right now. That said, I think the different Titan sizes need something to differentiate them a bit more. Currently, it's a case of 'build the biggest titan you can build and only build that, as it's most space efficient.' Perhaps some sort of triangle, where light titans do more damage to heavy titans, heavies do more damage to mediums, and mediums do more damage to lights, so that there's a reason to build and deploy mixed forces?

The following users thanked this post: MagusXIX

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #970 on: August 24, 2017, 12:48:33 AM »
Auch... Please, rename it to battleoids or some another generalized name...

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #971 on: August 24, 2017, 04:42:14 AM »
I'm going to be naming mine Gundams, so that's not a problem for me, but the default does seem rather out of place.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #972 on: August 24, 2017, 05:23:35 AM »
I mean game-build (default) name, not gamer's customization.

Generally speaking, there are many such irritating interface inexactitudes in Aurora by now. Not all Aurora fighters are fighters (there are small crafts indeed - including recon and survey boats, team and rescue pinasses, fighter-tankers, etc.), not all Aurora missiles are missiles (there are ship ordnance indeed - including mines and buoys), etc., etc.

But old, established inexactitudes are not the same as new one, that is very easy to avoid.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #973 on: August 24, 2017, 10:55:44 AM »
As far as I know there is no way presently to way drop into place ground to space defenses since a PDC needs to be assembled.
PDC's can be quite small, and can be assembled by construction brigades.  If you bring some CB's along with your invasion, you could throw down a few ~5000 ton PDC's in a few weeks.

Offline Profugo Barbatus

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #974 on: August 24, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »
Quote from: Gyrfalcon link=topic=8497. msg103964#msg103964 date=1503552225
Well, any expansion of the ground warfare section is only good, as it's really barebones right now.  That said, I think the different Titan sizes need something to differentiate them a bit more.  Currently, it's a case of 'build the biggest titan you can build and only build that, as it's most space efficient. ' Perhaps some sort of triangle, where light titans do more damage to heavy titans, heavies do more damage to mediums, and mediums do more damage to lights, so that there's a reason to build and deploy mixed forces?

It'd be a bit weird for a force of light titans to be able to compete against heavy titans.  Rather than trying to juggle titan vs titan, why not refocus the balance.  The heavier titans become progressively less effective at their ground unit combat, as they sacrifice agility and lighter, more agile weapons for their heavy armor and heavy weapons to focus on killing other titans.  So light titans would be vastly more effective at overrunning ground units, Medium titans would strike a balance between titan combat and infantry combat abilities, and heavy titans would be entirely geared towards destroying other titans, even at the risk of leaving themselves less capable at clearing out normal units.  This leaves lighter titan classes with a combat niche even as the larger ones are unlocked, while still driving players to develop heavier titans to try and neutralize the enemy titans quicker.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue