Author Topic: Multiple engine types?  (Read 5246 times)

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
Re: Multiple engine types?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 09:34:31 AM »
Just make engine power modifiers slightly more expensive as a trade-off for allowing a x2EP engine to only consume as much as a x0.5EP engine if you dial the task-group down to 1/4 of full speed, instead of just consuming a quarter of normal consumption. I highly doubt rockets actually work that way in real life, but at least this way nobody needs to add any more buttons to the UI or any more mechanics that I need to use my calculator for.
Rockets don't work that way, but that's essentially what I'm suggesting doing, only we justify it by pointing out that the game's fluff states that the ships move in a fluid medium in the TN universe, and in a fluid, the resistance is not constant with speed.  Instead of fuel consumption per unit power changing and power per unit speed staying constant, power per unit speed changes and fuel consumption per unit power stays constant.

Edit: Anyway, I don't like the comparisons to sea ships. TN elements might give the motion of this game's starships fluid-like characteristics, but these "ships" are still single-stage rocket vehicles and not boats. iirc the space shuttle itself only had one type of main engine (three of them), and anything else that it had was either intended to be jettisoned or it was a manoeuvring thruster.
They're not really rockets, and certainly bear no resemblance to the space shuttle.  Also, I've done spacecraft designs with multiple types of proper engines, although they were for SF and not intended to be built.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 02:36:59 AM »
It's certainly possible, it is just rarely done.  Most spacecraft aren't intended for combat use.  Usually the (relatively) low thrust high efficiency engines are all anyone ever wants or needs.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 04:49:41 PM »
Though I love the idea of hang a "cruise" drive, and a "combat" drive (with a comparable efficiency dropoff)

More than anything... wouldn't it totally eff up balance?
Even if your "afterburners" are something built into the engine but run off a separate tech that gets higher... What's to stop players from making fighters, with maxed out engines, that then have another stage above that. They'll be able to outrun missiles like nothing (though that would be entertaining). And late tech ones will be speed of light. Actually even normal ships would be able to readily close the gap with missile speeds.

But if you take that away, make it so that even with the "combat" setting, you can only max out at 3x normal powermod for your tech... Now you're just going to make all your warships move at fighter speeds while in combat, and fighters will slip into total worthlessness.

Personally I've always thought that everything in game is a bit too fast though. And the disparity between ship speed and missile speed was too small at the low end, and way too high once you start getting 6x mod missiles. Missiles themselves are a little odd, as speed is so much more important than maneuver rating, since it protects the missiles from defenses, while maneuver doesn't. I mean who actually puts maneuver into their ASMs, as the 10 points they have by default are almost always more than enough. And missile armor's continued worthlessness doesn't help.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »
What's to stop players from making fighters, with maxed out engines, that then have another stage above that.

Wasted mass.

If you put two sets of engines on a ship, and only one set is running, then the ship will be slower not faster in either mode of operation than if it had only that set of engines.  If both sets can be used simultaneously, then again its top speed will be slower than if you had dedicated the same amount of mass to using "fast" engines.  And if you make the fuel consumption of engines vary non-linearly with power output, you're changing fuel consumption/endurance, not speed.  In other words, I don't recall seeing anyone proposing a different power/weight ratio for engines in this thread; it's just a proposal for making endurance longer when a ship is "cruising" (slowly) between stations.

John

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »
I believe he was referring to one of my overdrive proposals. Though I did mention limiting it to the max power level you have researched anyway.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "