Author Topic: Commander Location  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Commander Location
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 01:59:33 PM »
With regard to the various suggestions regarding abstracted relocation times; my first thought was that this was a lot of work trying to check if the bonuses of a newly assigned commander were active yet, or he was still in transit. The post above made me realise it is a lot easier than that.

If a commander is 'assigned', I create some form of interim assignment record which touches nothing else in the game except flagging the commander as unavailable and recording the intended assignment. In effect, the commander vanishes for a while. When the transit time is up, the new assignment takes place at that point. Until he arrives, the assignment hasn't happened.

Of course, this could get a lot trickier with automated assignments as suddenly thousands of commanders will be running around the galaxy with no one in charge of anything :). Perhaps automated assignments are instant (planned ahead of time by the Administratum) while manual player assignments have transit times.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 02:03:27 PM »
With regard to the various suggestions regarding abstracted relocation times; my first thought was that this was a lot of work trying to check if the bonuses of a newly assigned commander were active yet, or he was still in transit. The post above made me realise it is a lot easier than that.

If a commander is 'assigned', I create some form of interim assignment record which touches nothing else in the game except flagging the commander as unavailable and recording the intended assignment. In effect, the commander vanishes for a while. When the transit time is up, the new assignment takes place at that point. Until he arrives, the assignment hasn't happened.

Of course, this could get a lot trickier with automated assignments as suddenly thousands of commanders will be running around the galaxy with no one in charge of anything :). Perhaps automated assignments are instant (planned ahead of time by the Administratum) while manual player assignments have transit times.

Yeah. That makes alot of sense.

Another thing that needs to be handled is what happens if the location is destroyed or lost before arrival, in which case the commander in transit probably needs to be sent back home again ( could be instant ).

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 07:14:50 AM »

Biggest issue I see with this is that the command slot might look unoccupied while the new commander is in transit, so player (or auto-assign) might try to assign a 2nd commander.  I was thinking more in terms of having a Boolean as private data in the commander (plus a "previous location/assignment" record in case bad things like the target command being blown up happen).  If the Boolean is set to "InTransit", then commander's bonuses are all zero, the commander is immune from bad things happening, and the commander's name property/get method would tack (In Transit) on the end.  Other than that, none of the clients of the commander object would change.  Of course that's assuming you've got the code set up that way - the above is just an idea :)

John

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »
Basically keeping it as it is would be best. There is definitely no need for more micromanagement in Aurora  ;D
Like the idea of a travel time when re-assigned (as well as it happening instantly when auto-assigned). This does not add new micromanagement but increases realism.

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »
Having an XO would alleviate the issue of a vacant slot.  Let the XO be the CO temporarily until the new CO arrives, and the XO's bonuses count toward ship performance.  As far as showing the command slot as vacant or not, just list the new CO, but grayed out with (in transit).

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 07:13:14 AM »
That would also come in handy storewise when the CO is killed during a fight an the XO takes over command...  :D "Make it so, Number One."

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 07:04:05 AM »
Somehow I missed this thread, I like these changes, especially the commander transit time thing, I used to micromanage commander reassignments with shuttles but that's a hell of an effort for no real gain.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
Yep... I missed this one too... :)

I would like if ships had XO commanders listed and that lower ranked officers... especially the lowest rank could randomly be killed on ships that are damaged. Depending on the number of crew on said ship.

I assume that lower ranked commanders with no direct assignment are actually enlisted on military ships in some form some of the time.