Author Topic: Ground Combat value  (Read 1290 times)

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Ground Combat value
« on: January 26, 2017, 11:54:44 PM »
I am in the process off defeating 2 enemy fleets above their homeworld, everything is fine, until I saw the total value of troops on the planet... 3665 :o  But how much is that in battalions? If they have researched ground unit strength that will give a clue, but almost 4000? I have about 13 divisions with a unit strength of of 30 but I am beginning to think I cant invade before I drop some bombs on them, and I don't want that, they have big populations and that means big taxes ;D ::)
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline iceball3

• Captain
Re: Ground Combat value
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 12:37:25 AM »
I am in the process off defeating 2 enemy fleets above their homeworld, everything is fine, until I saw the total value of troops on the planet... 3665 :o  But how much is that in battalions? If they have researched ground unit strength that will give a clue, but almost 4000? I have about 13 divisions with a unit strength of of 30 but I am beginning to think I cant invade before I drop some bombs on them, and I don't want that, they have big populations and that means big taxes ;D ::)
30 total, or 30 each?
That said, I'm not sure how much damage bombardment does when you discriminate between planetary firing and contact firing, however, if you want to make invasion a possibility, I'd suggest setting up particularly large invasion fleet, with many, many troop transports, and a slow stream of size 1 missiles to soften up the ground forces until you can actually fight them (make sure you're targetting the ground force's active sensor contact.

Assuming that troop value is equal to combat strength, I'd wager that makes the total amount of ground units on that planet anywhere between 100 and 400 troops, maybe less than 100 if they have decently high tech levels.

I wonder, do NPRs have to pay maintenance on ground troops? I'd be unfortunate if they didn't.

Offline NuclearStudent

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 01:44:33 AM »
Well, the removal of xeno scum requires payment in blood.

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 02:50:11 AM »
30 total, or 30 each?
That said, I'm not sure how much damage bombardment does when you discriminate between planetary firing and contact firing, however, if you want to make invasion a possibility, I'd suggest setting up particularly large invasion fleet, with many, many troop transports, and a slow stream of size 1 missiles to soften up the ground forces until you can actually fight them (make sure you're targetting the ground force's active sensor contact.

Assuming that troop value is equal to combat strength, I'd wager that makes the total amount of ground units on that planet anywhere between 100 and 400 troops, maybe less than 100 if they have decently high tech levels.

I wonder, do NPRs have to pay maintenance on ground troops? I'd be unfortunate if they didn't.

I have researched my combat potential to 30, in the process of increasing it to 36 in about 8 months time. So when I get all off my troops on ground I will have some 260 battalions... For RP my divisions is built on "modern" divisions.

Armored Division 4 Brigades of 2 armored Battalions, 1 mechanized battalion and 1 artillery battalion in each armored brigade.

The mechanized divisions have  2 mechanized Battalions, 1 armored Battalion and 1 artillery battalion in each mechanized brigade

Marine Divisions are have 4 battalions of marine drop troops in each brigade

Total invasion forces is: 1 marine division, 10 armored divisions and 2 mechanized divisions, I can add 3 armored and 2 mechanized divisions from other duties in the empire but that will take some time.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:02:26 AM by ExChairman »
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 03:49:40 AM »
OOOHHH I noticed that my laser armed battle cruiser can do some damage, the atmosphere is only 0.70 so my fast firing 12 cm lasers will be able to loosen things up a bit, after they destroyed the 100+ fighter circling the planet... ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:10:19 AM by ExChairman »
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Offline ORCACommander

• Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
there may be some holed up in PDC's as well, be sure to get some engineers