Author Topic: My ship broke ... what now?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Detros (OP)

• Commander
My ship broke ... what now?
« on: February 12, 2017, 03:39:53 PM »
During prolonged Task Force Training another part of one my ship broke.
Code: [Select]
A Owen Engineering 144 EP Nuclear Pulse Engine on Stevenstone has suffered a maintenance failure.
Insufficient maintenance supplies were available to effect a repair.
(Cost of repair:  64,8. Available maintenance supplies: 29).

As Stevenstone has slowed to 1 km/s due to damage, it has been detached from FF Stevenstone - Flock 01.
OK, the only engine is broken and we need more maintenance supply points. Being the lead ship of its class it was the oldest one.

So I looked around and these are the possibilities. Am I right?
  • Scrap - Delete her TG, thus deleting her too. Build new one.
  • Autorepair - Let her repair herself. Damage control ship component can speed the process. For that it would apparently need twice as many MSP than is the cost of maintaince in case of failure.
  • Shipyard repair - Shipyards can repair broken components, using minerals. To get it faster to shipyard one could also use a tug boat.
  • Hangar repair  - Hangars and boat bays can repair docked ships using carriers pool of MSP. In versions 7.1+ doesn't work in PDCs.

Autorepair would be best but summary from class design says
Maint Life 2.26 Years     MSP 123    AFR 98%    IFR 1.4%    1YR 33    5YR 488    Max Repair 64.8 MSPSo even though I have flagged this class as "Supply ship" in the Class design which allowed other ships from her flock to resupply her - so FF Stevenstone is now at 123/123 MSP - it can't repair itself because Stevenstone class does not have enough storage for 2x64.8 = 129.6 points. It would be good if this was actually noted in the event report...

Managing to get anywhere with its pitiful 1km/s speed and land there would be problematic. As FF Stevenstone broke in the area of asteroid belt behind Mars I may help her to catch any body if I just turn the rotation of asteroid in game settings. Then I could ship minerals and constructors  to that asteroid, make a shipyard and... eh too much for one ship.

I don't posses tech needed for tugging yet.

So it seems to me from all those options I the most viable is to design and build a ship with enough hangar space and go collect poor FF Stevenstone. Or?

Offline TT

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Re: My ship broke ... what now?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »
Hello Detros,

You have a couple of options.  You can tug your ship to a planet that has a ship yard and repair her at the shipyard.  If you have a carier large enough to carry her, you can also have you ship land on the carrier and then fly her back to the planet.  I thik you'll be able to repair the engine once it is in the carrier.

A good rule of thumb is to alway try and have more than one engine on anything that is not commerial. That way you can always get home. Good luck

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 07:39:03 PM »
I wouldn't feel too bad using space master to either alter the design to give it more msp or to jump it back to earth, since it's your first run-in with this mechanic.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Detros (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 08:08:08 PM »
I wouldn't feel too bad using space master to either alter the design to give it more msp or to jump it back to earth, since it's your first run-in with this mechanic.
But I have just ordered the sign "42 years without SM and counting" for anniversary celebrations...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:30:31 PM by Detros »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
Rush build a ship with a huge hanger I guess?
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Detros (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 08:31:51 PM »
No colony nearby, tug tech not researched ... yes, carrier way it is.

Lisimba class Carrier    9 950 tons     149 Crew     1139.4 BP      TCS 199  TH 216  EM 60
2170 km/s     Armour 2-41     Shields 2-400     Sensors 8/8/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 0
Maint Life 3.4 Years     MSP 394    AFR 144%    IFR 2%    1YR 52    5YR 777    Max Repair 121.5 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Flight Crew Berths 204   
Hangar Deck Capacity 5000 tons     

Hicks-Cross 216 EP Ion Drive (2)    Power 216    Fuel Use 18,51%    Signature 108    Exp 7%
Fuel Capacity 500 000 Litres    Range 48,8 billion km   (260 days at full power)
Lees-Kent Gamma R400/240 Shields (1)   Total Fuel Cost  10 Litres per hour  (240 per day)

Wilkins-Spencer Thermal Sensor TH1-8 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  8m km
Wilkins-Spencer EM Detection Sensor EM1-8 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  8m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 08:43:16 PM »
This is why you always have two engines.

Offline Tor Cha

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 11:32:17 PM »
Sorry But Having a Bit of a Problem with this!
Why Not Have a Sm Freighter With Lots maintenance Supply's, do an Underway Transfer and then the Ship would be able to Repair itself( right?) Or am I Missing Something??
true It has to be a Mill Freighter But I Make a Sm One to do Rush Supply runs to Ships in the Outer reaches of the System, that way I do not always Have to Have Huge maintenance Stores On Slow Moving Or Long Duration Ships/Bases.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 01:55:49 AM »
The ship doesn't quite have enough MSP storage to allow for repair of the broken component.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »
General rules of thumb for military designs designed to last a long time in space:
1) Have at least 2x the value of the max repair cost in msp stored.
2) Have its maintenance life longer than its intended deployment time and/or fuel range.
3) Always have a backup plan ready (tug, small repair carrier, supply ship, etc).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Detros (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »
Yes, in the end I have just refitted it, giving it bit more MSP (enough for possible repair), more armor and new sensors. 20 ships done in like year and half, thanks to help of our construction facilities prebuilding most of the needed stuff.