Author Topic: Questions about "Minimum Rank and Class Priority"  (Read 2549 times)

Offline obsidian_green (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • o
Questions about "Minimum Rank and Class Priority"
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »
Under the "DAC/ Rank/ Info" tab in "Class Design" we're able to set the "Minimum Rank and Class Priority", which should allow for the auto-assignment of officers to ships. From forum searches I gather the wiki is wrong about the higher number assigning the higher priority, but lower numbers apparently don't prioritize ships either. Does anyone know the actual methodology auto-assign uses to match commanders to ships? Is there a knack or trick other players have of making auto-assign an opportunity rather than a burden?

Assuming there's no simple way to fudge Minimum rank and Class Priority, can I turn off auto-assignments and still expect officers to be relieved from their ships when their tours are over? My plan is to manually assign important commands (basically make choice picks of R3s and make sure all R4s and above go to appropriate commands) and then hit the "Auto Assign" button to take care of the rest. Will I have any problems with that? (I ask because I won't get info until two game years have passed---the length I set for tours.)

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Questions about "Minimum Rank and Class Priority"
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:58:10 AM »
I use the auto assign myself and it works ok.  It does require you check what it did though as I often find officers where I would rather not have them.

I have used often and sucessfully the assignment of a rank to a ship class.  All my ship classes with jump engines (a fair few) require a commanding officer of Commander rank (R2), and a smaller number of classes require R3.  So far this has allways resulted in these ships having officers of those ranks commanding them.   You have to assign the rank requirement intellegently, but it works.
Ex from the NCN:  The Altair class Jump Ship requires R2 but the CLE Warder class is R1.  Both ships are the same size but I want to be able to use any officer with the warders and only Commander and above with the Altairs.  So far this has always worked.

For senior officers, the NCN uses a commadore or captain with each squadron.  Those officers are assigned to the Squadron and then I click "do not end tour" at this point.  I have to manual move them around should I wish to.  This is the best solution I found as otherwise the automatic process messes up my command structure.  Basically I assign Captain and above and let the automatic handle the lower level officers.  It works without much intervention beyond checking things out and sorting out the odd thing it does I don't want done.

Since I started using the "do not end tour" my amount of mucking about has dropped significantly.  I have substantially more issues with my ground force officers due to my personal decision that engineering brigades need brigadiers not colonels to command them.

The priorities within a rank I have never used so can't comment on how they work.   

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »
Clearest example of my problem might be the R4s (Fleet Captains in my setup) automatically assigned to 10,000 ton frigates (that can be commanded by R2s) while my 40,000 ton dreadnoughts that actually require R4s go without captains. I don't mind doing things manually, but knowing the processes of auto-assignment as it relates to class priority might help me get a little utility out of it.

Offline hyramgraff

• Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:29:47 PM »
Clearest example of my problem might be the R4s (Fleet Captains in my setup) automatically assigned to 10,000 ton frigates (that can be commanded by R2s) while my 40,000 ton dreadnoughts that actually require R4s go without captains. I don't mind doing things manually, but knowing the processes of auto-assignment as it relates to class priority might help me get a little utility out of it.

Having the ship require an R4 might be the cause of the problem that you're having.  The automatic assignment rules first check ships that require an R3 commander, then R2, and then R1.  You can read the assignment priority here: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Leaders#Automatic_Assignments.

The following users thanked this post: obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:56:46 AM »
Thanks, that seems like a winner. I read that wiki page, but the explicit check for R3, and not higher, didn't register with me. It does make me wonder why I'm even allowed to set the rank field higher than R3.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »
It's so that the automatic assignment system does not place a high-ranked commander for your special ships.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »
I've read that page several times now and I see no statement that R4 is not checked and that it only checks for R3.   I think the dreadnaught issue is pretty much the same one I see with Ground force officers where I find Major Generals unassigned.  It often messes up and doesn't assign most of the brigadier generals even though I have a large number of brigade HQs (more than generals eligible for command).  I've no idea what the logic behind the assignment procedure is beyond it seems to try to fit officers with the right skills in the right places.

For your DN commanders I'd suggest just use "do not end tour" being checked and your problem is solved.  My senior officers I manually assign to tasks; that procedure is the one that works best in my experience.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 12:19:39 PM »
It doesnt bother to assign ground officers that dont have training to BHQ, since all BHQ does is train.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 12:50:39 AM »
That may be the case but if they are assigned to one that ends up in combat they gain the skill.   And the BHQ does more than train as a part of the HQ commanders combat bonus is added to the sub commanders combat bonus...or at the very least it affects the stats of the HQ.   Anyway for me, the ground commanders cause me more trouble via auto assignments then do my ship commanders (after figuring out when to turn on "do not end tour" at least).  I'm basically only fine tuning the system at this point.

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 12:57:43 AM »
It's so that the automatic assignment system does not place a high-ranked commander for your special ships.

But it will take those same R4s and R5s and assign them to ships I don't want them commanding. Now that I've lowered the ships I do want them commanding to R3 requirements, I hope the better commanders of higher rank get assigned (because those ships are larger and more heavily armed). If not, I just have to manually reassign officers after the big batch promotions.

I've read that page several times now and I see no statement that R4 is not checked and that it only checks for R3.

From the "Leaders" wiki page, it's hidden so you have to click "show":

Code: [Select]
Auto-assignment takes place for ships, fighter squadrons and ground units without commanders, using the following sequence (required bonus in parentheses):  Survey ships with R3 requirement (Survey Bonus)
 Armed ships with R3 requirement (Crew Training)
 Unarmed ships with R3 requirement (Crew Training)
 HQ assignments (Ground Unit Training)
 Survey ships with R2 requirement (Survey Bonus)
 Armed ships with R2 requirement (Crew Training)
 Fighter Squadrons (Crew Training)
 Unarmed ships with R2 requirement (Crew Training)
 Survey ships with R1 requirement (Survey Bonus)
 Jump Gate Construction Ships (Factory Production)
 Terraformers (Terraforming)
 Fuel Harvesters (Mining)
 Mining Ships (Mining)
 Salvage Ships (Factory Production)
 Assault Divisions (Ground Combat)
 Armed ships with R1 requirement (Crew Training)
 Infantry, Garrison and Engineers (Ground Combat)
 Unarmed ships with R1 requirement (Crew Training)
It really does say R3. The assumption that the logic would apply to higher rank grades was all on me.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:59:26 AM by obsidian_green »

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 02:17:53 AM »
Got hit by batch reassignments (had assigned a lot by hand and didn't want to screw up my role-playing) and I can confirm that R4s and R5s are assigned to the bigger/badder warships consistent with the class priorities I set ... when the minimum rank for those warships are set to R3. Set it above R3 and the ship will not be automatically assigned a commander, but the R4 and R5 commanders you might want to assign to them will be assigned to other ships instead. I think this could be used as way to prevent fighters from being assigned commanders---could allow for a command variant fighter with identical specs, but with "minimum rank and class priority" set for it to be the only fighter in the squadron auto-assigned an officer.

So, to recap, if you want the auto-assignment to crew your best capital ships with R4s and R5s (maybe important for those who customize their rank titles), make sure the minimum rank is set to R3 and adjust the class priority accordingly (lower is better).

(I gave myself gaps between ship types so I could even prioritize between older and newer classes within a type. For example, dreadnoughts and carriers get class priority 1-4, destroyer-types 4-9, frigates 10-14, etc.)

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »
i like to use negative priorities so that it doesnt screw things up when i miss setting up a freighter

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:10:57 AM »
What effect do negative priorities have?

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
What effect do negative priorities have?

As standard, Aurora sets the priority of all new classes to 0.

When allocating COs it does so on the basis of increasing value (ie lower is better as opposed to what it says on the Wiki).

if you set the priority of a class to a negative value then it will be selected before all of the ones that just get created without assigning a specific priority.
Slàinte,

Mike