Author Topic: Naming prefix and others tricks  (Read 1354 times)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Naming prefix and others tricks
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:40:02 AM »
Hey,

I have recently adopted a naming convention prefix to my ships and was wondering what were the tricks you were using on your side.

Ships under 500 tons ("fighters") get a * before their name.
PDCs get a +

This way, when looking at the 40+ classes of ships, fighters, PDCs, I can identify at a glance what is what. Sometime I get some doubts. Is Hermes a fighter or a small jump tender? Now I know much better (and faster).

2nd bonus, in the ship classes window, when you click on the drop down list, all your fighters are grouped together, then all ships, then all PDCs. Very useful!

And you, do you use some tricks like that?

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Naming prefix and others tricks
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 11:43:11 AM »
"F/...-..." - fighters, "V/...-..." - corvettes (FACs and so on), "P/...-..." - PDCs, "O/...-..." - orbital platforms.
Large auxiliary ships have abbreviated hull type name prefixes (such as COMSUR-... or HETUG-...) to distinguish them from warships (that have usual class names, such as Courageous class, Dragon class and so on).

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »
you can also just use blanks to put something earlier in the list.  i like to use "  Low Orbit" or "  Solar System" for organizational reasons, for example.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
I obsolete classes fairly regularly to avoid clutter issues, so I don't really use a naming convention for classes. For TGs, I do use the empty space trick to ensure that most-often used TGs remain on top.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 04:15:27 AM »
I'm now prefixing the hand made components with nicks, like [ENG] for engines, etc. Because with all these company names as prefixes to components*, it becomes difficult otherwise to know rapidly what is what, when you look at the component list in the industry window.

* Boken-Steinberg Aerospace Engineering 12 EP Ion Drive

And then when it is an obsolete component, but still somehow usable (like I have a stockpile or I have not yet designed a new one even if I have the tech), I'll use parenthesis... Like
(ENG) Boken-Steinberg Aerospace Engineering 12 EP Ion Drive
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:17:16 AM by vorpal+5 »

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 05:10:03 AM »
I often like to play around with ship designs before finalizing them, but with a long list of ship names it is rather a hassle to figure out which are locked and which are WIP's. Then I started putting a space in front of all WIP designs. Then they are placed at the very top and I can always see what kind of ships I have been working on. It is especially useful since I often take a break from a game and then can't remember what all my ships do when I return. Now, at least, I know which of them I have been working on  :)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 06:41:42 AM »
indeed, I goes with a more straightforward (but longer to type!) _prototype and then their role. I don't christen them to an actual name before finalization, I just name them by role.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »
I just keep an Excel table for all that information. Regardless of long breaks between play sessions, I can re-familiarize myself quickly.