Author Topic: So how do you ...  (Read 1779 times)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
So how do you ...
« on: December 12, 2017, 07:09:31 AM »
1/ Recover anything from an old PDC you want to remove. Do I need to do a destroy and then salvage the debris? That would be ugly, The Terran Confederacy won't do that!  ;D

2/ Mass reload with another type of missile a given series of fighters? Do I need to click-click-click on each of them?

3/ Have a collier load a specific distribution of ordnance (not corresponding to its predefined load out) from the Task Group interface? So far I have only found I can do that from the ship window, by going to the specific collier.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: So how do you ...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »
1/ PDC cannot be scrapped or salvaged, AFAIK.

2/ Change missile load of class design, then reload TG.

Offline Seolferwulf

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 05:50:12 AM »
When refitting ships old components aren't deleted but removed and stored in the colony's stockpile.
I'm not sure but you could probably make use of that by designing a really cheap dummy PDC with as few components as possible and then refit your PDC to it.
The components should then go to your stockpile, although I've no clue how much that's gonna cost you for refitting D:

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:59:45 AM »
good idea, I need to check though if the components from a refitted PDC is added, probably. Might worth a try. Better than deleting into the void or scrapping and having a wreck in orbit!

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »
When refitting ships old components aren't deleted but removed and stored in the colony's stockpile.
They are not.
You have to scrap ship to store it's components. And you cannot scrap PDC.

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
Better than deleting into the void or scrapping and having a wreck in orbit!
Scrapping of PDC is impossible, and destroying of PDC makes no wreck.

Offline Seolferwulf

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »
They are not.
You have to scrap ship to store it's components. And you cannot scrap PDC.

Seems like I'm getting stuff mixed up after not playing for a while D:

So when refitting the extra components just vanish?
Are the cost for those deducted from the refitting bill?

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
Yep, extra components just vanish when refitting.
And their cost are not deducted from the refitting bill, AFAIK.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 02:44:38 AM »
Destroying the PDC...there are two ways to do that.  One removes the PDC with no wreck and the other (Destroy) leaves a wreck in 6.10 (the version I use).  It may have changed, but I destroyed a PDC by accident and then was able to salvage the wreck it was the first action my salvager did.

Refit is something that you should do when the ships get minor updates.  If you are basically rebuilding the ship you are often better off to scrap the ship and build it new.  This gives you the components from the old ship that you can then either scrap or reuse.  The whole scrap and rebuild can be astonishingly fast, especially if a lot of major components get recycled.  The Spaceframe Renewal Program the NCC launched did a great job and the ships were back in service quickly.

Where Refit really sucked was in updating my PDCs...there the cost and time of the action was greater than a newly constructed PDC.  If engines are getting changed I'd almost be tempted to scarp the ship and rebuild it because I find Galacite in short supply and being able to recover from the old engines yields a fair amount of the mineral.  But as with many things if that makes sense for you depends on your exact boundary conditions.

Offline TT

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »
One factor that advocates for refit vs scrap and rebuild is tha you retain the training level of the crew when you refit.  There are times when I build a special training version of a ship and then refit it to keep the training level.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »
Preserving training is a good reason to refit over scrap-rebuild.

Pretty much like I always try to point out, in aurora trying to over optimize things is pretty much a waste of your time as there are few things that are constant over different campagins.  It depends on the situation at hand what is the best decision to make, and it often may be that the best decision changes as the circumstances change.   So one time one thing is the best choice and then another time doing something else makes more sense.