Author Topic: Insight of a new player.  (Read 2440 times)

Gieweh

Insight of a new player.
« on: December 14, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »
Hello evryone, i don't know if this is the right place to talk about this and english is not my native language nor i'm an expert at it so feel free to spend  the next hour correcting everything.

The past 2 weeks ive been learning aurora and as a new player there are a few things i noticed that may do the game more harm then good from how i see it but i can be wrong aswell its just my vieuw. My first 2 games where a failure and i learnd how to play the game basicly and how to do combat, Now evrything so far so good until the moment you start colonizing planets. . . . . . . .  The only real downside about the "first" impression of the game is that A the civ economy is handy for hauling stuff and 2 the civ economy is just out of control that i decied to not colonize a single planet in my 3the game.  Steve looks like he knows what he is doing but this needs a change.

Grtz Gieweh.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Insight of a new player.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 04:34:48 PM »
What?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »
I think Gieweh is saying that civilians grow out of control if you do things like heavily colonize Luna.  I agree about that.

In C#, profits will scale with distance, so short range trading wont be as profitable, maybe.

The following users thanked this post: MagusXIX

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 04:24:57 AM »
Yeah, the civilian economy can also cause you to spend a lot of time on it.  As when you have several hundred colony ships, they can dump more population on a world than it can handle, so you have to keep switching the demand/supply around every 5 days or so.

Also, your civilians produce more colony ships and fewer freighters than you really want, because they will only build enough freighters to handle demand, but will endlessly build colony ships.

Building the civilian economy is sort of a cheat mode, as they can also provide FAR more fuel harvesters than you will need in the early and mid-game.

It basically means that if you would double your economy (at your tech level) every 15 or so years without the civilians, you can double it every 10 with them.  Civilian economy means no wealth limits on production, and no manpower needs diverting to financial centers or fuel refineries, so the top production is higher too.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 12:39:08 PM »
I disagree, I still face a wealth crisis despite colonizing Luna and Mars, though certainly civilian sector helps out. But it's not a magic I WIN button.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 04:59:27 AM »
The civilian economy takes a while to grow, so yeah, if you have done a transnewtonian start, it won't fix your wealth generation.

But for a conventional start?  You should have a civilian economy that generates more wealth than your taxes, or even multiples of it, within 25 years.

You only need to make about a couple thousand infrastructure, enough to support maybe 5 million, the rest the civilian economy will build.  But again, you have that TIME in a conventional start.  In a TN start, you would need a lot more infrastructure, and you would have economy problems because you start off much closer to economic capacity.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »
The main problem for me is the colonists they dump by millions on new colonies, as soon as there is one extra infrastructure. A pity it was never fixed. But I have the magical button, it is called SM mode, where I move back all the extra colonists to earth, except a few ten of thousands so that there is still a lack of infra that will prevent the silly colonizers to return with a new load.

As for the rest, there are many possible exploits in the game and it should really approached with a 'I'm a player, but also the game master' behavior, so fix and edit what is unfair or unbalanced. For example, if the civilian sector provides too much wealth, then remove some of it once a year. Not ideal, but playable.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:02:21 PM by vorpal+5 »

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »
The main problem for me is the colonists they dump by millions on new colonies, as soon as there is one extra infrastructure. A pity it was never fixed. But I have the magical button, it is called SM mode, where I move back all the extra colonists to earth, except a few ten of thousands so that there is still a lack of infra that will prevent the silly colonizers to return with a new load.

As for the rest, there are many possible exploits in the game and it should really approached with a 'I'm a player, but also the game master' behavior, so fix and edit what is unfair or unbalanced. For example, if the civilian sector provides too much wealth, then remove some of it once a year. Not ideal, but playable.
Another cool idea: find some planetary body you don't plan to do things, an SM create a colony with no population and minimal "stuff" (just enough to make contact). Then, occasionally donate them a few low-tech gauss ships.
When the civilian economy decides to get to excited, you can switch to your "secret military" and take down civilian ships.
The operations would be clandestine, but the government gets to reap the mineral rich wrecks of insolent civilian shipyards that refuse to yield to direct government demand. Secret fascism! Just make sure they're not carrying any full loads when you blow them up. The goal here is to minimize casualties (and lag) after all!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:02:14 PM by iceball3 »