Author Topic: Discussion  (Read 6365 times)

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
Re: Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »
Are the Ophidians the new Star Swarm? Because if so I like the new shtick. Do they still reproduce with eggs, though?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 11:03:07 AM »
Are the Ophidians the new Star Swarm? Because if so I like the new shtick. Do they still reproduce with eggs, though?

Yes, they are the Swarm. They no longer use eggs specifically, but the general idea is still the same. They have a new concept called Bio-energy, which they gain from salvaging wrecks and intact ships and from mining. Hive ships use that bio-energy to produce new swarm ships.

The following users thanked this post: Darkminion, Tanj, JacenHan, Jovus, DEEPenergy, JustAnotherDude

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 06:19:31 AM »
Well that was certainly an eventful year! Loved the fact that the small squadron used the jump point mechanics to avoid the missiles and also decided on not attacking your survey vessel once the missiles were detected. Looks like combat is going to be significantly more interesting and challenging which is great.

The following users thanked this post: Darkminion

Offline Darkminion

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 11:17:47 AM »
I am super hyped on the swarm boarders, are they replenished in with the same Bio-Energy mechanic? Is there a reason that life pods and their soft nougaty center are not used as well?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 11:25:38 AM »
I am super hyped on the swarm boarders, are they replenished in with the same Bio-Energy mechanic? Is there a reason that life pods and their soft nougaty center are not used as well?

The Hive Ships turn the empty boarding FACs back into Bio-energy (they salvage their own ships) and then use that energy to produce whatever is needed, including new boarding FACs. The Swarm is only interested in TNEs, so they ignore the life pods.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 11:47:08 AM »
The naming of the new dimension as the "aether" would probably get confusing as the luminiferous aether was still the prevailing theory for the propagation of light during this time. lol.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 02:56:15 PM »
Am I missing something, or has Steve not posted the design of the Majestic-class battleships -- other than the blurb "an enlarged version of the Royal Sovereign with a displacement of 18,750 tons?"

Offline jonw

• Chief Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 10:49:57 AM »
Good grief, those slimy Ophidian monstrosities seem waaaay more vicious than previous incarnations. Can you give some details of the acid weapons - does the residual effect have limited duration, or are there ways to counter it once hit? Also cool to see the AI using EM weapons.

You mentioned they gain bioenergy via mining - do they have installations or ground forces, or is this done via asteroid mining modules?

Definitely looking forward to this!

Offline DEEPenergy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 10:55:18 AM »
Will the Swarm be jump capable

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 07:09:00 PM »
Will the Swarm be jump capable

An option for it would indeed be nice. It'd make for an interesting challenge. Then again it might impede on the role the extra galactic invaders are supposed to fulfil.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »
Steve mentioned in the changes discussion thread that the Swarm had gravsurvey ships, so I would assume they are jump capable. They already (slowly) expand in VB6, so it wouldn't be a huge change.

Edit: Just realized that the mentioned post was made after DEEPenergy's question, so they probably already saw it.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 09:48:32 AM »
Fascinating AAR. I would love to read a new part now!  :)

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »
Unfortunately, Steve has moved on from this campaign. You can follo his new one, however

Offline Cavgunner

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 07:20:24 PM »
Has Steve ever finished a campaign?  Not sarcastic, just curious.

Offline TheBawkHawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 07:41:14 PM »
Has Steve ever finished a campaign?  Not sarcastic, just curious.

Well, define "finish". Finishing an Aurora campaign can mean a lot of things, and depending on definition might not actually be possible. If I understand you correctly though, I don't think that he has finished one. He usually (afaik, I could be wrong) uses them to test out new features and bugtest, and moves on to a new campaign when the current one no longer lets him test what he wants to. I think.