Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 263808 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1920 on: November 13, 2018, 11:39:13 AM »
Yeah if a colony gets hit hard enough, it will surrender and anything in orbit has a chance of surrendering with the colony. I know that NPR ships elsewhere can surrender as well but I'm not sure about player ships.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1921 on: November 13, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
Get hit hard enough... The bombs would have killed  up to 850 million so I dont know who would surrender... Ohh well some traitors to kill later... ;D
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1922 on: November 16, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »
So, good news bad news.

Surveyors discover a C&P +40% anomaly.  Woot!  On the other side of two nebula systems, one of which has Precursors.  Oh well, we WILL get there.  It is also 20 billion km out, so it will be a while.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1923 on: November 16, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
That's like the ultimate remote secret research facility. I hope you put the research labs inside a volcano too.  ;D

Offline TheBawkHawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #1924 on: December 11, 2018, 07:10:33 PM »
My massive military game is still going on, however things have quieted down now. I'm just about ready to bring the new generation of ships online after their shakedown cruises and training, and the Jiadliaokl Coalition hasn't sent an attack against me for nearly a year, which is both relieving and terrifying. If they've been able to destroy entire battlefleets of mine with their trickle of fleets, how the heck can I stop an entire year or two's worth of shipbuilding? The answer is even more shipbuilding of my own. All of my ~80 military slipways have been busy, refitting and constructing the newest generation of warships, and updating the earlier ships of the generation to new sensor and fire control standards. I'm almost at 1000 warships now, not including fighters!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1925 on: December 12, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »
That is a lot of ships! Don't think I've ever gotten anywhere close.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #1926 on: December 12, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
You need a rather sturdy economy to handle that level of production.

Offline TheBawkHawk

• T
« Reply #1927 on: December 12, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »
That is a lot of ships! Don't think I've ever gotten anywhere close.

Indeed it is, this navy is the fruit of nearly 15 years of war with an NPR with a staggering tech advantage against me. I've lost around 200 or so warships, around 1.5 million tons total to these guys over the years. I even ran out of crew to man my ships for a few years due to the amount of new ships being launched and the amount of casualties needing replacement.

You need a rather sturdy economy to handle that level of production.

Luckily I've got 13 colonies backing me up, including both Earth and another NPR homeworld I conquered around 30 or 40 years back. I've gotten lucky with the mineral generation too, so I've got a few incredibly rich automines, and colonies, which gives me a combined mineral output of around 600k tons every year. Nearly a quarter of that production is from one of my colonies, aptly named Hephaestus. The civilian sector is booming too, with all of my freighters busy hauling minerals and PDCs around, I've had to really rely on the civvies to handle the transport of initial colony infrastructure and automine equipment. I've got 9 shipping companies, totaling around 400 or so civilian ships.

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1928 on: December 12, 2018, 04:01:18 PM »
Luckily I've got 13 colonies backing me up, including both Earth and another NPR homeworld I conquered around 30 or 40 years back. I've gotten lucky with the mineral generation too, so I've got a few incredibly rich automines, and colonies, which gives me a combined mineral output of around 600k tons every year. Nearly a quarter of that production is from one of my colonies, aptly named Hephaestus. The civilian sector is booming too, with all of my freighters busy hauling minerals and PDCs around, I've had to really rely on the civvies to handle the transport of initial colony infrastructure and automine equipment. I've got 9 shipping companies, totaling around 400 or so civilian ships.

:o :o :o

Where is the AAR/story of this?

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #1929 on: December 12, 2018, 04:02:22 PM »

13 Colonies?  I suggest it was made into a tv series called Battlestar Galactica...
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline TheBawkHawk

• T
« Reply #1930 on: December 12, 2018, 07:00:50 PM »

I've been debating getting an AAR going of this game, and I think there's a post in this thread of one of the bigger battles I've had. But by the time the game actually started getting really interesting, I felt it was too far into the game to get started on an AAR. That, and a mixture of me being a very slow player and me being busy have put it on hold. If there's interest, once finals are good and done with, I might toss up a couple posts about the first offensive against the Jiadliaokl, once my new fleets are trained up to 100% and I get enough fuel and missiles set aside (I have about 60k missiles in my fleet all together). That, and once I actually find one of their systems. I've scouted 4 systems down the chain they come from, but I still haven't detected any colonies of theirs.

edit: Also one fun note about that NPR homeworld I conquered way back when. After all was said and done, I had lost around 30 ships or so, with the aliens, the Belazura, losing 40 or 50. After I sent in my troop transports and conquered/bombarded the planet into submission, I did a quick check around the system to make sure there weren't any other colonies or outposts to worry about. After taking care of whatever was left, my fleets left the system to return to Earth for repair and refits (I had accidentally destroyed all their shipyards with autotargeting missiles.. oops..), a pair of enemy cruisers comes out of deep space, gets detected by the sensors on the planet, and so I wheel the fleet around to go and take them out. It was too late, as the enemy ships had just gotten into firing range by the time my ships got back in system. I guess this race didn't like the prospect of new management, and so the alien ships loosed their entire stock of missiles on their homeworld, turning a solid half of the population and infrastructure into glass. Even now, 30-40 years later, the radiation is still dying down.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:09:22 PM by TheBawkHawk »

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #1931 on: December 13, 2018, 04:26:52 PM »
I've been debating getting an AAR going of this game, and I think there's a post in this thread of one of the bigger battles I've had. But by the time the game actually started getting really interesting, I felt it was too far into the game to get started on an AAR.
I would really enjoy an AAR that did just start with an already established empire. Sometimes the "Race developed TN tech, finds jump points, builds terrible ships, etc" build up can be a bit of a slog as we all know where it's going.

Plus it can be a waste of precious time and motivation. Look at the number of AARs around here where after all the effort of build up and establishing back story, they just slam to a halt as things are about to get interesting.

Basically I'd be interested in seeing a write up of a properly equipped fleet smashing into an enemy system and looking for vengeance. :D

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1932 on: December 13, 2018, 06:17:15 PM »
Yup, there is a shortage of well established AARs for sure. Nothing wrong with starting "in the middle", so to speak.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #1933 on: December 13, 2018, 07:46:00 PM »
Plus it can be a waste of precious time and motivation. Look at the number of AARs around here where after all the effort of build up and establishing back story, they just slam to a halt as things are about to get interesting.

Yeah, I wrote one of those.  Just about time to start a first war, the game crashed and it was over!

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #1934 on: December 13, 2018, 10:18:39 PM »
there is an heuristic for writing that goes something like:  your story will generally be improved by ripping out the first twenty pages.  i had learned it by the name "checkhov's law" but the internet at least things checkhov's law is a very different expression of a similar principle.