Author Topic: v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread  (Read 65784 times)

Offline Sarganto

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
Re: v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2012, 03:58:41 AM »
"It seems like using a geological team on a body which has a civilian mine on them has no effect. They are just sitting there for years and years and nothing happens."
Did it say no survey in the mineral section? if not then it was already surveyed, and there was no need to resurvey it. Does the ship sit there with SP needed constantly?
I am talking about geological survey teams, not ships.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2012, 04:24:05 AM »
most Sol-system civilian mines are on asteroids and comets.   Asteroids take forever to team-survey, presumably to stop them from being used as infinite training grounds and sources of infinite minerals. There are after all hundreds of asteroids in Sol alone so the training/mineral potential is extreme.

Offline Sarganto

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »
most Sol-system civilian mines are on asteroids and comets.   Asteroids take forever to team-survey, presumably to stop them from being used as infinite training grounds and sources of infinite minerals. There are after all hundreds of asteroids in Sol alone so the training/mineral potential is extreme.
Nope, right now the team is on a moon with civilian mines and I didn't have a single tick for umh maybe 2 or 3 years?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »
I no longer survey asteroids because of this.  Its not a bug, per se, but i don't think its working as intended, exactly.

With the recent capping of geo surveyer training at 60% (might be my fault) I'm not so concerned about the training up of people these days.  Let the chunks survey a bit faster for gods sake.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:27:10 PM by Thiosk »

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »
Nope, right now the team is on a moon with civilian mines and I didn't have a single tick for umh maybe 2 or 3 years?

It goes by mass, more massive asteroids can be surveyed fairly quickly, and, say, phobos and deimos will take forever.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2012, 02:21:56 AM »
In Population Menu, the button for refresh All, doesn't refresh colonies, but by transferring the capital to a new planet does update the colony list...
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline North Pole

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • N
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2012, 03:51:49 AM »
Quote from: ExChairman link=topic=4487. msg46419#msg46419 date=1328862116
In Population Menu, the button for refresh All, doesn't refresh colonies, but by transferring the capital to a new planet does update the colony list. . .
You can reselect civ name in top-left corner to update population menu

Offline Sarganto

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2012, 06:52:33 AM »
I no longer survey asteroids because of this.  Its not a bug, per se, but i don't think its working as intended, exactly.

With the recent capping of geo surveyer training at 60% (might be my fault) I'm not so concerned about the training up of people these days.  Let the chunks survey a bit faster for gods sake.
As I said, the problem does not only exist with asteroids. Every other body has been surveyed by the team at least within a year.
But on asteroids and moons with civilian mines, nothing is happening.

Offline Marthnn

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 08:52:23 AM »
As I said, the problem does not only exist with asteroids. Every other body has been surveyed by the team at least within a year.
But on asteroids and moons with civilian mines, nothing is happening.
Check the mass of successfully surveyed bodies, and the mass of attempted surveyed bodies. How do they compare? Does the team you're using have a good rating (150+) with 5 members total?

Moons can be very small, even smaller than asteroids. If they already have civ mines, that is probably not the case, so maybe you're just unlucky. Still, you give us not much info to work with.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
Error in UpdateGameEvents
Error 3167 was generated by DAO.Database
Record is deleted

The previous error was something of the nature of "invalid bookmark"

What happened is that I was launching a complex array of missiles at an oncoming enemy-- I targeded my last salvo, and then set fleet speed to maximum to pull away from the enemy.

It started throwing the invalid bookmark error, then record is deleted after I set the whole fleet to cease fire.

Now it appears the missiles aren't moving.

This is version 5.6 in an unmodified game.

Edit:
John's suggestion works flawlessly.  I repacked the database immediately on error occurrence and fixed it.

I had cycled back to an earlier save before beginning that encounter, and even the situation REPLICATED ITSELF.  Which I found interesting.  I have a backup of that file immediately on reccurrence, before repacking.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:32:24 PM by Thiosk »

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »

When a survey team finishes a cycle (which is really the game checking a random number each 5-day to see if it is lower than their rating), the code carries out a mineral generation check on the body they are surveying. If it finds something better than what is currently available, the team will report it. Asteroids generally have a much lower chance than planets to have any minerals at all so often those checks result in nothing. So it isn't that asteroids take longer for each check, it is that those checks are unlikely to find anything and you only hear about a check that found something.

Mineral generation is based on system body size, with larger bodies having both a higher chance of minerals being present and larger deposits while smaller bodies have better accessibility.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:40:13 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »
Error in UpdateGameEvents
Error 3167 was generated by DAO.Database
Record is deleted

The previous error was something of the nature of "invalid bookmark"

What happened is that I was launching a complex array of missiles at an oncoming enemy-- I targeded my last salvo, and then set fleet speed to maximum to pull away from the enemy.

It started throwing the invalid bookmark error, then record is deleted after I set the whole fleet to cease fire.

Now it appears the missiles aren't moving.

This is version 5.6 in an unmodified game.

You might try compressing the database (I think there's a menu option to do so in Aurora.)  My recollection is that this can fix some invalid bookmark errors - not sure if it will work on the cascading deleted record error, but what have you got to lose?  (Assuming you back up the DB before compressing, of course :) )

John

Offline Shemar

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2012, 07:17:55 AM »
When a survey team finishes a cycle (which is really the game checking a random number each 5-day to see if it is lower than their rating), the code carries out a mineral generation check on the body they are surveying. If it finds something better than what is currently available, the team will report it. Asteroids generally have a much lower chance than planets to have any minerals at all so often those checks result in nothing. So it isn't that asteroids take longer for each check, it is that those checks are unlikely to find anything and you only hear about a check that found something.

Mineral generation is based on system body size, with larger bodies having both a higher chance of minerals being present and larger deposits while smaller bodies have better accessibility.

Steve

The problem with that is that a team can be stuck on an asteroid for years and years. Wouldn't it be better if they have a higher chance of finding anything but also a higher chance of completing the survey? That way they could still be finding the same total amounts (on average) but in a little less time.

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »
I would agree with a higher chance of completing the survey. Years and years and years of waiting for a report is a little excessive. If the survey team finds something or not, I just wish they would complete the survey.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
I would agree with a higher chance of completing the survey. Years and years and years of waiting for a report is a little excessive. If the survey team finds something or not, I just wish they would complete the survey.

Thirded.

John