Author Topic: v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread  (Read 65785 times)

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2012, 01:57:29 AM »
"Error 11 in turret design
division by zero.

No reduced size laser turrets?  sadness."

You need a high enough capacitor tech to overcome that.

Also:
Error 6 overflow in display stars. Having too small a zoom value, whether zooming in our out, in a starsystem with a secondary star that is far away causes this problem. Real stars are off.

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2012, 04:20:03 PM »
If a colony has a > 25m population based on habitats and noone living on the body, civilians ignore it. The colony produces trade goods (which strikes me as weird for a solely orbital habitat based population), but is never targeted by freighters or colony transports for colonists.
This was only tested with uninhabitable bodies (asteroids).

Excerpt from IRC:
Gonozal_VIII: btw i have 6 of my 30mio people habitats in place now
Gonozal_VIII: the civilian colony ships ignore them
Gonozal_VIII: probably because they are at asteroids which are labeled as unsuitable
Gonozal_VIII: they get around 9% growth rate at 25 million with a +30% governor
[insert question about whether they produce trade goods]
Gonozal_VIII: they do
Gonozal_VIII: haven't seen any freighters pick up or deliver goods from there so far

*edit*
Gonozal has also noted a surprising inactivity from his civvies: Of 90 ships, roughly 80 or so sit around on his capital world not moving any trade goods or civilians. There are several inhabited planets in the same system producing numerous goods (regular planets as well as those orbital habitats). Although he didn't pay that much attantion to it, he does recall the civilians moving more trade goods before he placed the habitats on the asteroids.

Changing the capital world to a different planet with contracts to move several installation motivates more civilians to move, but the majority (still 70+) sit around idling. Trade goods are defintly available for import and export with roughly 2.3 billion civilians offworld.

*edit 2*
Further testing revealed that civvies to take population from orbital-only colonies if they're set as source. They do however ignore them for trade goods and population sources. Removing the population and habitats from the colony (and even abandoning the colonies) did not fix the civvie behaviour, so a connection isn't necessarily there, unless it was a permanent bug once caused.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:38:54 AM by Vynadan »

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »
Ive seen this a few times.

I've suspected, but not specifically bughunted, that it had to do with outstanding orders of installations on planets the civs don't want to go to.  For instance, you can put 30 mass drivers on earth, and have it sent anywhere within 4 jumps with no problem.

Try putting those mass drivers on ganymede and see how long they take to get there.  When you put in orders like this, it seems like the civs decide to just sit in orbit of earth saying "I would like to go do the order, but, meh, booze and earth hookers."

I've also noted again that if you put huge civilian industry orders up-- say, 2000+ automines-- and provide 3 destinations, lets say alpha centauri 1 for 1000, sirrius 1 for 500, and barnard's Star 1 for 500-- I had roughly half of the automines never make it to their destination.  I got most of the alpha centauri mines delivered--most-- but none of the sirrius or barnard mines.  Something went wonky, they were picked up from earth, but they vanished.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:10:22 PM by Thiosk »

Offline Cocyte

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2012, 04:39:25 AM »
For the last few turns, I have a constant flux of overflow errors :
hxxp: petit-creux.  fr/vrac/aurora/error_6.  png
When I say "constant flux", it means I have 3-4 of those error per increment.       Here is the event log :
hxxp: petit-creux.  fr/vrac/aurora/event_log.  png

Note that :
- I'm on ol' XP SP3.     
- My sensor coverage is reasonable, and unchanged for years.     
- No "repeat smashing" of TG orders - I prefer the cycle order command instead.     
- I have got several modular designs (space trains), but only two TG are at 0 speed right now - the dedicated ship-delivery TG around earth and the bunch of terraformers around Mars, with no pending TG order.   
- It seems correlated with a surge in NPR activity - maybe those dorks are responsible?

So.    .    .       If anyone have an idea.    .    .     

Edit : what the Venus is this "h t t p : / /" to "hxxp:" conversion on URLs?

Edit 2 : Thanks for the explanation Erik.  I guess I just have to endure it for a while.  :)

After a few minutes with a weight on the "enter" key, the game is out of this loop.   The event log seems to confirm that it was a NPR-related screw up :
hxxp: petit-creux.  fr/vrac/aurora/event_log2.  png

I have a backup of the DB (backed up in the middle of the error spam) for analysis if needed. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:17:39 AM by Cocyte »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2012, 05:38:37 AM »

(edit : what the Venus is this "hxxp: " to "hxxp:" conversion on URLs? oO)

It is a spam prevention measure so that spammers which actually get authorized aren't able to post links. The limit goes away after a certain number of posts.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2012, 11:34:26 PM »
This has been previously reported, but its a me too post.

Shipyards in 5.60 appear to be following a strange set of rules for determining when secondary vessels can be produced.  Two ships, the insidius-- a small beam armed ship with 4000 bp... and the saratoga, a great big beam heavy armed cruiser at 12000 bp, can be built from the same yard.
The difference between them in build points is much greater than 25%, though they do share the same armamants-- the saratoga is basically a great big insidius.

Next example:
The Valdez 3, a 50 megaton fuel tanker, with 18000 bp clocking in at 70,000 tons and including a 70kt military squadjump drive, is tooled for a yard, which as a bonus can produce a 2000 bp gate constructor, and a similar terraformer.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
This has been previously reported, but its a me too post.

Shipyards in 5.60 appear to be following a strange set of rules for determining when secondary vessels can be produced.  Two ships, the insidius-- a small beam armed ship with 4000 bp... and the saratoga, a great big beam heavy armed cruiser at 12000 bp, can be built from the same yard.
The difference between them in build points is much greater than 25%, though they do share the same armamants-- the saratoga is basically a great big insidius.

Next example:
The Valdez 3, a 50 megaton fuel tanker, with 18000 bp clocking in at 70,000 tons and including a 70kt military squadjump drive, is tooled for a yard, which as a bonus can produce a 2000 bp gate constructor, and a similar terraformer.

Just to be clear, it's not the difference in build points that matters; it's the refit cost from the tooled class to the untooled class.  So if the smaller ship has fewer of the same beams and engines (so a refit would just entail ripping a lot of stuff out) this makes perfect sense.

As for the second example, 18000/4 = 4500.  4500>2000.

John

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2012, 03:16:37 PM »
the % increase in cost in refit.  Ive kinda stopped playing keep hitting 5.6 bugs in my games will pick it up again once steve pops up and gets em fixed back to dwarf fortress still reading the fiction AARs though good work there guys

Offline liq3

• Leading Rate
  • l
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
Got an annoying 'bug' with missiles.     It might not really be one, but it's so frustrating I think it is.   

Basically, I'm using some 25000km/s high agi AMMs to try and shoot down.    .    .     missiles.     Enemy ASMs are going 39000km/s.     Every 4th volley or so, my AMMs will miss COMPLETELY and end up futilely chasing the faster ASMs, resulting in a complete lack of interception, my ships getting hit by 16 ASMs and wasting 80~ AMMs.     Very easy to reproduce, since it's happened every fight for me.     

Edit: Also come across another odd bug.    "Boat Bay" and "Hanger Deck" are both missing from research.    I've checked every section, including "All Projects".    I worked around it by gifting it from another race after using "all research".   

Edit 2: The passive sensor range in the system view appears to be broken for DSTS.  It's far too small. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:27:16 AM by liq3 »

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
Got an annoying 'bug' with missiles.     It might not really be one, but it's so frustrating I think it is.   

Basically, I'm using some 25000km/s high agi AMMs to try and shoot down.    .    .     missiles.     Enemy ASMs are going 39000km/s.     Every 4th volley or so, my AMMs will miss COMPLETELY and end up futilely chasing the faster ASMs, resulting in a complete lack of interception, my ships getting hit by 16 ASMs and wasting 80~ AMMs.     Very easy to reproduce, since it's happened every fight for me.     

Edit: Also come across another odd bug.    "Boat Bay" and "Hanger Deck" are both missing from research.    I've checked every section, including "All Projects".    I worked around it by gifting it from another race after using "all research".   

Edit 2: The passive sensor range in the system view appears to be broken for DSTS.  It's far too small. 

I went back and reproducted this so yeah its another bug in 5.6 that needs fixing whenever steve gets around to it

Offline Marc420

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2012, 05:39:55 AM »
"Error 6 was generated by Aurora"
"Overflow"

Happens when trying to zoom in close to view ships.  I'm in a binary system, so there's another star way out there.  I've got one of my Grav explorer's being tailed by some aliens who live in the system at a 10k distance. If I try to zoom in close enough to make the dots separate from each other, I get this error msg.  I think it has to do with the other star way out there.  It has a mean Distance of 7600 AU in System Generation and display. I can zoom in down to what seems to be the closest zoom (scale bar says 3.9 km) in the Sol system.  But trying to zoom in such that the scale bar says less than 1m km in this Binary system causes the above error msg with every redraw of the screen.  I can zoom in closer, but I have to clear the Error 6 msg box every time.  So, its annoying rather than game stopping. 

Thanks!

Offline Marc420

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2012, 05:45:06 AM »
PS .. the above is with version 5.60, in a game started in version 5.60.

Offline Bran34

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • B
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »
Error 48 was generated by Aurora
Error in loading DLL

I get past the first step in universe creation and then it decides to shoot this error at me, and no matter how many times I mash OK, it doesn't go away.       

This is running Windows 7 64-bit on version 5.  60

Edit: Eventually, after clicking VERY FAST for about a full minute, I got past the error and it told me world gen was complete.   

Edit 2: All the planets in my solar system, using the actual sol system setting, are unnamed.     They are Sol I-VIII, rather tha Mercury, Venus, Earth, ETC.     All the moons are unnamed as well.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:56:10 PM by Bran34 »

wilddog5

« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
the ship design screen no longer sees the plasma torpedo launcher a missile type weapon so you can't lock the design, the "ship has missle firecontrol but no launchers" design error message blocks it

edit: changing to a different ship and going back to the ship with the plasma torpedo launcher allows the design to be locked so this is more of a inconvenience type bug

edit 2: think i found the error, the plasma torpedo launcher is set as a missile instead (they show up as a prevously designed missile in the missile design screen)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:47:22 AM by wilddog5 »

Offline Darksan

• Able Ordinary Rate
v5.60 Startup bug
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
Creating a game, 1000 systems, difficulty 90, 5 billion pop, 3 NPRs, no overhauls needed, jump gates, no political bonus, no inexperienced fleets are the only options changed.

When the NPRs were being generated an error 3201 came up. "You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'Tech Systems'

What were those star-forsaken NPRs doing?  :o
Darksan