Author Topic: v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread  (Read 65780 times)

Offline Sloshmonger

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
Re: v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 01, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
Advanced Particle Torpedo Warhead XX is the ruin-findable upgrade to Particle Beam Strength XX tech-line, but name not standardized.

Actually thought it was for plasma torpedos until I looked into designing the tech.

Offline Jikor

« Reply #421 on: October 02, 2012, 08:01:37 AM »
Not sure if this is a bug or not but my database seems to be over 1gb in size. Any idea what could be causing this if it is not normal?

Some info:
Game is not extremely long. A trans newtonian start explored maybe 15 systems, two precursor systems and a swarm (I think) System.
Could be the NPR going crazy maybe and building lots of stuff I guess also.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #422 on: October 02, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Definitely not normal. I had this once when the game went into an endless loop. Try compacting the database (under "Miscellaneous") but make a backup first.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #423 on: October 03, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
My computer crashed while Aurora was making a 30 day move ahead...it crashed for an unrelated reason that I understand.

but something in the database got interrupted, and now every time i advance time, I get a huge parade of error 91's and error 3167's, the error 91's are, it seems, ships with move orders that now cannot load them

I get the same cascade of errors when I open the task group orders for one of my starfleets. Perhaps the errors are linked to this? is there anyway to deleate the task group without loading it (which crashes aurora with endless error 91's)

My question is: is there anyway to fix this, perhaps some novel solution involving using SM mode to clear move orders of alien ships, or simply waiting for them to find new orders, or something else. I REALLY like this game and did not make a backup at the appropriate time. Someone please tell me what to do
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:48:54 PM by Theodidactus »
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #424 on: October 04, 2012, 07:20:05 AM »
My computer crashed while Aurora was making a 30 day move ahead...it crashed for an unrelated reason that I understand.

but something in the database got interrupted, and now every time i advance time, I get a huge parade of error 91's and error 3167's, the error 91's are, it seems, ships with move orders that now cannot load them

I get the same cascade of errors when I open the task group orders for one of my starfleets. Perhaps the errors are linked to this? is there anyway to deleate the task group without loading it (which crashes aurora with endless error 91's)

My question is: is there anyway to fix this, perhaps some novel solution involving using SM mode to clear move orders of alien ships, or simply waiting for them to find new orders, or something else. I REALLY like this game and did not make a backup at the appropriate time. Someone please tell me what to do

First comment, this does not belong in in the bugs thread.

Second is that recoverly from this kind of event is not possible with SM.  It is only remotely possible by manual means with full database access. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #425 on: October 04, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »
how do i go about getting full access?
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #426 on: October 05, 2012, 12:40:38 AM »
You'd need the designer password, which, if I understand correctly, Steve is loath to hand out because if everyone was messing with the database, the number of reported bugs would grow exponentially, while most of these bugs would actually result from players changing things they are not supposed to change.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #427 on: October 05, 2012, 07:07:08 AM »
You'd need the designer password, which, if I understand correctly, Steve is loath to hand out because if everyone was messing with the database, the number of reported bugs would grow exponentially, while most of these bugs would actually result from players changing things they are not supposed to change.
The Designer password is not the same as the database password.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #428 on: October 05, 2012, 09:11:54 AM »
well, I figured out the "database password" itself, but you're right, that doesn't actually enable you to change anything, I'll see if I can figure out the designer password using my database powerz.

There's an academy thread associated with this now, you guys are right that this is not a bug, so it's not worth spamming up the bugs thread for.

Offline hubgbf

• h
« Reply #429 on: October 07, 2012, 04:24:58 AM »
Hi,

I've been in trouble, being locked in 5 seconds increments for more than hour in game (do not imagine IRL time spend...)
SM mod told that NPR must be fighting somewhere, so I put the system on autoturns and let it run.

It started when one of my fleet pursuing an ennemy precursor fleet pass near a precursor outpost having in orbit 6 size 24 missiles unmoving (mines I guess).

It stopped when I kill these unmoving missiles after having dealed with the ennemy fleet with laser (I was out of ammunition for ASM but not for AMM). My fleet goes near the missiles/mines, between 5.5 and 7.56 Mkm, then I went at 27 mKm from the missiles/mines before coming back to destroy them.

My guess is that these size 24 mines tried to activate as soon as I pass near them, and blocked the program on 5 seconds increment, even when I was way out of their activation range as I was pursuing a fleet going into another precursor outpost to get new ammunitions.

I've got a save after my AMM destroyed the size24 missiles/mines, but not before.

Hope it helps, as Aurora is a great game, and 5-seconds increment a pleasure-killer.
Hubert

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #430 on: October 07, 2012, 09:27:42 AM »
Hi,

I've been in trouble, being locked in 5 seconds increments for more than hour in game (do not imagine IRL time spend...)
SM mod told that NPR must be fighting somewhere, so I put the system on autoturns and let it run.

It started when one of my fleet pursuing an ennemy precursor fleet pass near a precursor outpost having in orbit 6 size 24 missiles unmoving (mines I guess).

It stopped when I kill these unmoving missiles after having dealed with the ennemy fleet with laser (I was out of ammunition for ASM but not for AMM). My fleet goes near the missiles/mines, between 5.5 and 7.56 Mkm, then I went at 27 mKm from the missiles/mines before coming back to destroy them.

My guess is that these size 24 mines tried to activate as soon as I pass near them, and blocked the program on 5 seconds increment, even when I was way out of their activation range as I was pursuing a fleet going into another precursor outpost to get new ammunitions.

I've got a save after my AMM destroyed the size24 missiles/mines, but not before.

Hope it helps, as Aurora is a great game, and 5-seconds increment a pleasure-killer.
Hubert

This is not a bug and should not have been posted in this thread.  It is a well known, and documented, condition in the game. 

Granted the documentation is probably now buried moderately deep in the spoilers topic, but should be findable with a little bit of searching.

Offline hubgbf

• h
« Reply #431 on: October 07, 2012, 03:54:30 PM »
This is not a bug and should not have been posted in this thread.  It is a well known, and documented, condition in the game. 

Granted the documentation is probably now buried moderately deep in the spoilers topic, but should be findable with a little bit of searching.

Hi,

Sorry if it is a well known feature, I searched only the bug forum without finding it, so I posted it.

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #432 on: October 07, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »
Hi,

Sorry if it is a well known feature, I searched only the bug forum without finding it, so I posted it.

Well, it's not in the bugs thread because it isn't a bug. The game is designed to run smaller increments when something is happening. However, its seems odd that you have had 5 second increments for an hour. Could you switch on SM mode and look in the events log (Ctrl-F3) to see what is causing the short increments?

Steve

Offline CannibalCrow

• Leading Rate
  • C
« Reply #433 on: October 07, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
Ohdear nevermind, I realized my mistake.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:48:09 PM by CannibalCrow »

Offline hubgbf

• h
« Reply #434 on: October 08, 2012, 10:21:57 AM »
Well, it's not in the bugs thread because it isn't a bug. The game is designed to run smaller increments when something is happening. However, its seems odd that you have had 5 second increments for an hour. Could you switch on SM mode and look in the events log (Ctrl-F3) to see what is causing the short increments?

Steve

I looked in the events log in SM mod when the 5-sec increment started, and I got a message saying something like "NPR must be fighting somewhere". I did not have a save before the return to normal, but I  have one after my AMMs killed the mines and the return to normal time increment. I will look at my save tonight (french time) and see if I can get the exact message.

But I'm 100% sure that 5-sec increment started when I pass near the mines while pursuing an ennemy fleet, and go on for more than 1 in game hour until I come back and kill these mines. As the 5-sec increment stopped the very increment after the mines where killed, I do not think it could be a coincidence with another NPR battle elsewhere.

I fully understand that the increment goes on 5-sec when I started approaching the mines, but it seemed odd to me that it didn't stop when I was far away from them.

Working in computer science myself, I thought it could be a problem of unactivated or forgotten trigger to stop the 5-sec increment when you go out of range of the mines, so I posted it in the bug thread.

'Technical' data:
fleet speed: 8.000 km/s
distance from the mines (outpost #1) to the far point reach (outpost #2) 27.000.000 km
distance from the mines when 5-sec increment started: between 5 and 7.000.000 km, and I did not go near than 4.500.000 km from the mines, I didn't remember which sensor spotted them. I can check if it could be interesting.