Author Topic: Annoying chase scene  (Read 2407 times)

Offline IveGotNoIdea (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • I
Annoying chase scene
« on: April 06, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »
I have large chase scene, my fleet running away from enemy and it will take over 2 hours for them to reach jump point, problem is that I only have 5 sec time increments.  Is there a way to speed this up?

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
Re: Annoying chase scene
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 03:15:24 PM »
I don't think you can change it from 5-second increments because it is seeing possible combat actions, but on the F3 screen there is a checkbox at the bottom of the Contacts tab (on the bottom left of the screen) that will stop everything outside the selected system until you uncheck the box.  This will speed up your 5-second increments and allow you to get through the next two hours much faster. 

Hope this helps.

Adam.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »
I have large chase scene, my fleet running away from enemy and it will take over 2 hours for them to reach jump point, problem is that I only have 5 sec time increments.  Is there a way to speed this up?

Something must be happening to trigger the 5 second increments, such as enemy missile launch or your own AMM launches. It shouldn't last the whole 2 hours.

Steve

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »
Also, you can tick "Auto-turns" on the System view which will allow the phases to run continuously if there's no combat actions. At least you won't have to babysit the game.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:08:22 PM »
As Steve noted, something is happening.  Once the enemy is spotted you can advance time as normal unless the enemy drops out of range or new enemies enter range.  Chances are they are launching a multitude of missile salvos at your fleeing ships.  Brace yourselves!  INCOMING!

• Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 06:55:25 AM »
As Steve noted, something is happening.  Once the enemy is spotted you can advance time as normal unless the enemy drops out of range or new enemies enter range.  Chances are they are launching a multitude of missile salvos at your fleeing ships.  Brace yourselves!  INCOMING!
Yup, there was some missiles I didn't see due to weak sensors on my ships. Fortunately now enemy is out of missiles and now I'm chasing them before they can reach planet and reload :)
I've noticed something else, I given my ships "auto fire" command in ship screen to avoid manual targeting every ship in range, but now they stopped targeting incoming missiles, is there a way to make ship attack anything in range with missiles as first priority or I'm doomed to micromanage that?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:01:45 AM by IveGotNoIdea »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »
Set them on point defence duties in the Combat overview screen. Then they will automatically fire when appropriate.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »
Autofire is, what the NPRs use. It does not work very good for player races, messing up all your settings (as you have noticed allready).
It will, for example, re-allocate all your PD weapons to offensive tasks, re-assign missile launchers as the AI sees fit (usually, in a way you would not) and similar stuff.

General consensus is: Don´t use it!

Note: As far as I have been able to determine the NPR design all have only one single type of weapon on a ship (i.e. a DDG will only mount ASM launchers, never any PD turret or AMM launchers) plus some CIWS. Autofire _might_ work, if you design your ships in a similar way.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
Passive defenses that automatically fire on missiles or whatever is not the same as the autofire setting and do not suffer from the same drawbacks.

• Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 10:48:01 AM »
Problem solved, I found Combat Overview.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »
Passive defenses that automatically fire on missiles or whatever is not the same as the autofire setting and do not suffer from the same drawbacks.

Um, this is only true for CIWS. I was talking about self-designed PD turrets (like gauss, meson or laser turrets) as well as AMM launchers. According to everything I have read here, Autofire _will_ reasing those.

Anyway, OP problem is solved, and that is what counts :)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »
I am seriously tempted to remove autofire until I can spend a lot more time on it. It causes more issues than it solves.

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
Steve, Instead of removing autofire completly, can you add a check box for each fire control.  If checked then autofire uses the loaded missile/beam weapon and fire control as is.  Basically it only determines the target, not the rest of the assigning fire control to weapons ect.  And it would only do so for ships that have the checkmark beside the specific fire control.  This would mean that players have to micromanage the setup of combat, but once it is going they shouldn't need to keep changing targets.

Brian

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:57:07 PM »
I have actual found autofire very good for beam ships and fighters. Probably the only time I use it, not for missile based systems. If you can make it a weapon only approach then this might help a lot of the issues.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 02:36:19 AM »
I use autofire for lazy attacks, generally of unarmed targets, like for strafing fleets of freighters with point defense.