Author Topic: SA Version v7.10 (Experimental)  (Read 12577 times)

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 09:33:11 AM »
Being the noob around here I feel kinda dumb. I never knew about a program that updated the DB. I always figured we just replaced the DB and lost all previous games.  :shock:

So my question is this, what is this SAUpgrade you folks are chatting about, and how can I edit the DB since it is PW protected?

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Þórgrímr »
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 12:52:10 PM »
SAUpgrade was a small program written by Jim.... errr, it's been so long I've forgotten his surname, which is bad as it's proven a most useful utility.
It reads a text file that tells it what tables to copy over from your old database to the new one and has options for ignoring old fields, adding new ones and so on.
When Jim dropped of the Starfire list I started writing update scripts so I could keep my game up to date.  I released these via the Starfire mailing list so others could too.  You can get SAUpgrade and the update scripts (the SAUpgrade zip has them all to save you downloading it and all the scripts separately) from my old website
http://www.stephen.cooke.dsl.pipex.com/starfire.htm
I haven't maintained this site for over a year and a half, because I switched ISP.  I just looked and it appears to still be there though.
There's also some tech, optional rules and the Haggi Confederation game info on there.

There was no detailed readme by Jim so I had to work out what to do by looking at old scripts Jim had put out.  I think the util is actually quite a bit more powerful than what I've managed, but what I have produced usually works.
As all it does is read and copy Access tables, it may work to upgrade Aurora's DB too.  Have to give it a try sometime.

Being the nice (I expect that word to be on my grave marker) person that people tell me I am, I've sorted out upgrade issues for various fellow gamers.  It's usually fairly simple, just deleting rogue entries from some tables in the dB.  SA is sometimes a bit messy with what it leaves around from previous games.

Steve has never publically released the dB password and requested long ago that noone who knew do so either.  A number of people know what it is, in my case from using a password cracker so I could get in and fix my dB to run an upgrade.  I've never seen anyone publically state what it is.

Stephen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Shinanygnz »

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 01:24:56 PM »
Shinanygnz, thanks much for the link to the upgrade program. I see you were a Fleet Action player to. Glad I went there because I was able to snag that juicy looking fleet builder program.   :wink:

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Þórgrímr »
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Offline Edsel

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 02:22:19 PM »
Thanks for your help. I wonder if one of my earlier failed attempts added those fields and then failed...

Oh well, whatever the cause thanks for the fix.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Edsel »

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 05:38:33 PM »
[quote="

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 05:47:20 PM »
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"
SAUpgrade was a small program written by Jim.... errr, it's been so long I've forgotten his surname, which is bad as it's proven a most useful utility.

Jim Randall?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by MWadwell »
Later,
Matt

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »
Quote from: "MWadwell"

Jim Randall?

That sounds right, I think.

Stephen

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 03:08:10 PM »
Quote from: "MWadwell"

Jim Randall?

Yes, Jim Randall

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Edsel

• E
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 01:04:43 PM »
The URL in the first post of this thread (the locater for the 7.10 patch) is pointing at the old address for the website. Could someone fix this?

Offline Edsel

• E
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 10:38:27 AM »
Quote from: "Edsel"
The URL in the first post of this thread (the locater for the 7.10 patch) is pointing at the old address for the website. Could someone fix this?
I see it has been fixed. Thanks!

Offline Tregonsee

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: SA Version v7.10 (Experimental)
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 05:38:49 PM »
OK, I have seen some posts about SA Upgrade Utility.  Is it possible to upgrade 3.8 to 7.0 or so?  Does it have to be done in stages, or can it be done all at once?

I have seen SA Upgrade scripts up to version 5.2 or so, but that is it.  I assume there are scripts for newer versions.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 12:31:04 PM »
Matt's got the ones that will get you to v6.5 available at
http://au.geocities.com/mwadwell/SAML.html

I've got the others (seeing as I wrote the little blighters).  My old site has finally disappeared - took about two years for the ISP to clean it away.  If your DB survives to v6.5, drop me a note and I'll send them to you.

Stephen

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
Erik has kindly hosted the upgrade scripts here...
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1338

Stephen

Offline Tregonsee

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »
OK folks, I must be really stupid here.  I got the old database, I got a copy of SAUpgrade, I have the upgrade script.

It also says I need a blank new database (the new.mdb).  Where do I get that?

I guess then the program will take the info from the old database and put it in the new empty database, thus creating a new database of the new version.

Steve G

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 05:04:14 PM »
The new database for each version was in the SA patch file for it.  So you need each patch file to do a step by step upgrade.
Steve had a sensible naming scheme.  v6.xy where x is the database version and y is the code version, so 6.30 then 6.40 (a database change) followed by 6.41 (a code but not db change).
I've looked and I still have them all from the original v6.00 install through all the patches to 7.10 (which is available earlier in this thread).

Erik, the zip files with blank databases are 41.5Mb in all (v6.10 through to 6.90 then 7.00), actually just 16.4Mb if I take the .exe and other gumpf out of the zips.  If you've got the space to host and are willing, I can send them to you (or straight to you Tregonsee if you have the inbox space available).

Stephen