Author Topic: Idea for Speeding Up Aurora  (Read 13274 times)

Offline letsdance

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
Re: Idea for Speeding Up Aurora
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 07:37:16 AM »
You only really care where each individual ship is when an enemy is detecting them.  (...) so why bother even tracking it most of the time?
because if you don't know where it is, you don't know if an enemy can detect them.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »
But you could know if the route is within alien sensor range.  Then it's just a weighted chance on if they detect one.  My idea is that the route has a ship density calculated from the length of the route and the number of ships that use it; and the higher that density is, the more likely any aliens are to detect a ship on said route.  Then if aliens do roll high enough and detect one, that's when you spawn a ship.

Offline Shipright

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »
I brought this up in another thread and nobody commented but since this one is dedicated to the topic I'll post it again:

I feel like you could probably make this easier. If the event doesn't trigger a player log entry (other than the interrupt message itself), ie something that affects the player's assets, the game continues to auto cycle through whatever increments the AI needs until you reach the turn increment the player chose. Technically you are still going to run through all the interrupts for AI purposes but at least the player himself doesn't have to sit there hitting next turn.

I don't personally mind long turn processing times. What I do mind is hitting the button, assuming and accepting its going to take a few minutes to process, go get a snack/make dinner/kiss the wife, come back and find out instead of running a turn for ten minutes to get to the increment I selected it got interrupted one minute in and was just sitting there waiting for me to hit "next" for the other nine.

I realize this does not address the delay due to calculations of the various game assets but I would weather those better if I wasn't getting interrupted all the time.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:56:39 PM by Shipright »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »
Auto Detection when NPRs are in the same system, then normal detection when a player enters would be my vote.

I like exploring and finding wrecks at battle sites :)
This seems pretty reasonable to me.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 09:51:11 PM »
Not understanding the code, I do not know if this is possible. The issue of the really is not so much the detection I think it is the battle that comes afterwards that really slows everything to a grind.

I think leave the detection and make pseudo battles, give ships a rating score based on speed, armour, tech and weapons systems. Then if you want add a random variable in there and blow up the ships on the losing side this is done with one calculation. Now if the speed of the enemy vessel is higher and then decide to run, then give them an instant jump ability to the next system to stop further sensors sweeps.

I do not think players have an issue with one or two 5 sec interrupts the issue is when you see 50-60 of them.

Yes it is not as realistic but from a player point of view it is about as realistic as it gets.

Offline CharonJr

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 11:36:33 AM »
About the detection flags for systems (which sounds good to me): How about having no detection checks as long as there are no foreign ships in the system and switch to normal once they are. But I have no idea if a check for any occupants whenever a ship changes systems will actually improve performance,  but it seems likely.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
I brought this up in another thread and nobody commented but since this one is dedicated to the topic I'll post it again:

I feel like you could probably make this easier. If the event doesn't trigger a player log entry (other than the interrupt message itself), ie something that affects the player's assets, the game continues to auto cycle through whatever increments the AI needs until you reach the turn increment the player chose. Technically you are still going to run through all the interrupts for AI purposes but at least the player himself doesn't have to sit there hitting next turn.

I don't personally mind long turn processing times. What I do mind is hitting the button, assuming and accepting its going to take a few minutes to process, go get a snack/make dinner/kiss the wife, come back and find out instead of running a turn for ten minutes to get to the increment I selected it got interrupted one minute in and was just sitting there waiting for me to hit "next" for the other nine.

I realize this does not address the do calculatioelay due tns of the various game assets but I would weather those better if I wasn't getting interrupted all the time.

I think this is true of me too.

I really have no problem with the speed of the game, because usually in aurora you're not "doing" anything so much as winding up and letting things go. In the rare instances where you are making minute-by-minute decisions, the space-time bubble fixes everything. So it doesn't matter that advancing by 30 days takes an hour, or whatever. I can read, cook dinner, grade stuff, watch movies, ect. The inconvenience comes from interrupts and having to constantly check the game to see if its finished a loadcycle.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 05:52:29 PM »
I think this is true of me too.

I really have no problem with the speed of the game, because usually in aurora you're not "doing" anything so much as winding up and letting things go. In the rare instances where you are making minute-by-minute decisions, the space-time bubble fixes everything. So it doesn't matter that advancing by 30 days takes an hour, or whatever. I can read, cook dinner, grade stuff, watch movies, ect. The inconvenience comes from interrupts and having to constantly check the game to see if its finished a loadcycle.
...I am so glad I have not encountered these kind of speeds anymore since my second game.^^ It was always less than a minute for 5 day intervals since then, but after I recently discovered the manual processor assignment trick, I have it down to about 10 seconds for one production turn at year around 2280.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 12:11:52 AM »
I've already forgotten where the time bubble option is :(
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 01:54:54 AM »
You need to be in SM mode, then reload a fresh F3 window, and then you will find it at the bottom of one of the tabs left. I have never used it before though.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 06:02:52 AM »
You need to be in SM mode, then reload a fresh F3 window, and then you will find it at the bottom of one of the tabs left. I have never used it before though.
Oh, I think it's in the galaxy map window, and barely visible on my screen resolution.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
Possibly it is in the galaxy map simultaneously, but here it is under contacts in the classical system view:

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »
Yup, for laptop users that check box cannot be seen.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
Ah, that's right, the screen is cut off just under the tac intelligence button.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
Yup, for laptop users that check box cannot be seen.
My computer is a laptop, but with 1080p. ;)