Author Topic: The man who would become god.  (Read 3757 times)

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
The man who would become god.
« on: January 03, 2016, 07:58:43 PM »
The age of strife.
In ages past mankind spread to the stars, countless worlds across the galaxy were founded by a humanity yearning to discover all that is to be known.
This was the golden age of technology which started in the 15th millennium, where exotic technology was found which could alter space itself allowing access to the Immaterium, ships could warp between worlds in the blink of an eye allowing humanity to band together in a united human confederation centered on the homeworld of Terra.
The preceding great Exodus had slowly colonized the solar system with conventional technology, new advances accelerated this beyond belief, by the height of it's power humanity was a hundred trillion living in thousands of idyllic worlds across the confederation.
But unchecked progress would lead to humanity's downfall as it lost sight of god, spawning abominations such as men of iron which would turn against their creators, Old Earth's once unified planetary government completely broke down as techno-barbarian warlords and their gene-enhanced warrior-hordes used the advances of the past as weapons, continuously fighting over the planet, which became little more than a massive battleground for their apocalyptic wars of attrition over the course of the age of strife.   
Little remained of the once sophisticated civilisation of Old Earth's glorious past as it was divided into dozens of warring techno-barbarian nations.Continuous warfare raged across the surface of Terra for two and a half thousand years, beginning in the late 27th Millennium. The history of the preceding 10 millenium was lost , becoming known as a great dark age along with innumerable dead.
But then as chaotic warp storms sealed off the Immaterium from mankind, enlightened people known as psykers started appearing, at first mistrusted and persecuted these men touched by god were eventually seen as salvation from the darkness which gripped the galaxy. Many were martyred bringing the word to us, but the greatest of them all would lead us to salvation.

The unification wars.
Emerging from the battered post-apocalyptic wasteland the Emperor of mankind finally revealed himself, during the darkest period of earth's history against this backdrop of oppression, violence and casual brutality he proclaimed the Imperial Truth of progress and reason and that he would forge an Imperium of Man dedicated to the reunification of mankind.The Emperor declared that Mankind would never be free to progress and advance to its destined position as the pre-eminent intelligent species in the Milky Way Galaxy until "the last stone from the last church was cast down onto the last priest."  Planning for this moment in history for millennia, the emperor had created a massive army of genetically-enhanced thunder warriors which would soon cleanse the world of all the fractured states and corrupted religions. Eventually conquring all of earth he set his holy sight upon the ancient forge world of mars where the Mechanicus acknowledged the Emperor of Mankind as the ruler of the Imperium of Man. The treaty of mars would forever align the mechanicus as a possession of the imperium, in return the priests of the Cult Mechanicus were allowed freedom from persecution and autonomy. As earth was a devastated barely post-industrial wasteland the Emperor knew that securing the technology and industry of the mechanicum was essential for the provision of technical aid and construction of massive fleets necessary for the Imperium of Man to launch the Great Crusade across the stars.

The great crusade

There was however a single world in the solar system who still resists the imperium.The cult of Selenar had ruled luna for millenia and along with the armies of earth and mars had participated in the three way struggle for power during the age of strife. Luna possessed unsurpassed genetic technology and indeed the emperor's thunder warriors were developed with selenar assistance millenia before the Unification wars had begin. The looming great crusade required lunas vast gene-engineering facilities and biological technology for the creation of soldiers to reconquer the galaxy. But the Selenar gene-cults would not bow willingly to the hunger of the new-born Imperium, and had fought off the machinations of Terran warlords and Martian Magi in the past. The final Imperial deputation to Luna was returned to Terra as a still-screaming soup of fused liquescent flesh in the dead shell of their shuttle. So it was that the Emperor finally ordered Luna to be pacified by the sword, their superstitious beliefs cast down before the Imperial Truth and their gene-craft yoked to the needs of the Imperium.

In this year of the 30th millenium the chronicles of the great crusade shall start, though these events are from a past long before the 41st millenium I find myself in, I shall do my very best to provide an accurate account of the actions of his most holy, the god emperor, may he watch over us eternally upon his golden throne.
-Confessor Janus Mentior
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:01:22 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Re: The man who would become god.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:00:27 PM »
A conventional start with 2 NPRs who shall represent the Tau and greenskins, other races encountered may include the Eldar, Necrons and Tyranids. ;), NPR's will be non-TN initially except for the 5 races above, they represents the scattered barbaric human worlds and higher tech martian forge worlds which need reconquering.
Additionally there is a neutral population of 10 billion humans on an earth which has been ravaged by war, intense radiation and dust has reduced the world to negative population growth, but the Imperium has enough underground infrastructure to protect its small core population.
Mars is colonized but retains it's hostile environment, underground infrastructure provides the home for 100 million cultists who primarily man the great commercial shipyards which once colonized the galaxy, advanced industry and research centers of the Mechanicus. Resource wise it is poor having depleted much of its reserves during the great exodus.
Earth has not much to show for it except for it's population and scattered conventional industry, as well as massive reserves of low tech soldiers and a small core of highly skilled marines, however it does possess considerable mineral wealth.
Luna resists your control, but if it's hardened PCD's can be conquered you can put it's genetic technology and ground force training centers to good use, however rumors persist that the orbiting ruins of it's naval shipyards are still operable.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:40:24 PM by MarcAFK »
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:25:57 AM »
Oooooooh, PTW. :)

Offline xcal13

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • x
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 06:43:58 AM »
I will be keeping my eye on this, looking forward to the rest.  :)
just out of curiousity are you Space Marines or Imperial Guard?

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 08:34:33 AM »
I'm not that familiar with WH40k lore so I might make some big "errors " but I believe since I control the early imperium there might be some interesting changes from what's considered normal for the setting. But I guess the imperial guards should be important, and of course the space marines are the most important part of any troop operation.

Offline Rolepgeek

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:09:39 PM »
I would advise making NPRs manipulable by the Spacemaster, and seeing if anyone would be willing to provide ship designs for the blues and greens that you'll be turning red. If you want, might be too much work for what you're wanting to play.

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 07:16:04 PM »
I do have a terrible history of abandoning these things. It's still not technically abandoned! If 7.2 comes out before I pick this back up again I'll still run with what I've got.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 09:04:54 PM »
Yeah.. I keep trying to bring the Imperium of Man to its rightful glory, but always frakk up the game by trying to test things, and too lazy to go back couple of saves back. Anyway you just outlined the setting, so it would be easy to come back on 7.1 or 7.2 . looking forward to it.