Author Topic: Stockpiles and Mineral deliveries  (Read 1422 times)

Offline James Patten (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • J
Stockpiles and Mineral deliveries
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:08:57 PM »
In 2.5 (and I would suspect this is unchanged in 3.0), it would appear that the "+/-" column in the Mining & Maintenance window will reflect additions to the stockpile from on-planet mining operations, or reduction of the minerals either from use or from sending it away with a mass driver.  It does not appear to me to add in the minerals captured by a mass driver, or added by a freighter's delivery.  Is this true?

The way it appears to work to me, is say I'm mining Duranium.  In one unit's time (whether 1 day, 5 or 30) mining adds 100 Duranium, a freighter delivers 25 D, and a mass driver delivers 25 D.  The +/- will only register +100 for the mining operations, even though an additional 50 showed up from other means.  Meanwhile, the actual change to the stockpile will be +150.

It would also appear that the +/- column registers only a net change, so if 100 D was added by mining, and 105 D was used by construction, the +/- will show -5, when actually +45 was added from the freighter and mass driver.

Is my understanding correct, and wouldn't it make sense to include deliveries from starships and mass drivers?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James Patten »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:25:25 PM »
If I recall, there is a column for incoming Mass Driver amounts. The outgoing mass driver amounts fall under the +/- column with everything else; maintenance, construction, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline James Patten (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • J
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 06:32:58 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
If I recall, there is a column for incoming Mass Driver amounts.

The Mass Driver column records both income and outgo - but, it doesn't appear to show in the stockpile +/- column.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James Patten »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Stockpiles and Mineral deliveries
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 08:09:30 AM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
In 2.5 (and I would suspect this is unchanged in 3.0), it would appear that the "+/-" column in the Mining & Maintenance window will reflect additions to the stockpile from on-planet mining operations, or reduction of the minerals either from use or from sending it away with a mass driver.  It does not appear to me to add in the minerals captured by a mass driver, or added by a freighter's delivery.  Is this true?

All changes will usually be recorded. At the start of the production phase of the 5-day increment, the current mineral levels are recorded. The +/- figures you see on the Pop window are based on the difference between this recorded figure and whatever the mineral levels are when you select a population. However if a mineral packet arrives during the movement phase of the 5-day increment or a freighter delivers minerals, those changes will be lost because the production phase is later in the same increment.

The mass driver column is correct even when the packets have arrived during the movement phase because the program records mass driver arrivals during each movement phase and then includes them in the +/- mass driver figures if it turns out to be a 5-day increment (because of sub-pulses the program can't tell during the movement phase if this is going to be a 5-day increment because an event can alter the number of pulses).

I have updated the code for v3.1 to include these temporary figures for mass drivers in the recorded mineral level for a population (by subtracting any MD amounts from the current level). That still won't fix missing freighters that arrive during the movement phase of the 5-day increment but that is a bigger coding job so I'll add it to the list :)

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »