Author Topic: Transponders  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Transponders
« on: February 09, 2008, 06:55:34 AM »
I have added transponders to ships. This is a way for a ship to identify itself to other Empires if it wishes to do so. When a ship is built or refitted, the transponder will automatically be set to the class of the ship and the status will be inactive. Each ship can change it's transponder to any class of that race or to any alien class for which you have learned the transponder codes. You can activate/deactivate the transponder and set its class on the Ship window and there are also new Activate and Deactivate Transponder fleet orders.

Transponders will also be used for any civilian traffic when I get around to adding it (unless the civilian decides to falsify or deactivate the transponder at some point and turn pirate :)). They could also be used for IFF in the case of future minefields or fire and forget missiles.

Another possible use would be two or more Empires creating a treaty which made transponders mandatory in certain systems, Obviously there are a lot of deception possibilities around transponders.

I gave a lot of thought to the actual mechanics of the transponder. There were two main possibilities; broadcast or query. Broadcast simply means that turning on the transponder would show your position and transponder code to any other ships or pops in the same system. That would be the extent of the information though. An alien race would still have to bring you within sensor range to get any confirmation of what you are telling them.

A query system, which is how this works in real life, would require an alien race to detect you first and then interrogate the transponder. This could be done automatically or manually. An automatic system would initiate the query as soon as any type of sensor (Active, thermal or EM) detected the ship. A manual system would require the player to select a contact from a list to initiate the query. There are a couple of additional complications with queries though. Firstly, without some common frame of reference there is no way for alien races that have not previously met to develop an interstellar standard for interrogation protocols and transponder codes. Secondly, if a transponder is queried, the ship carrying that transponder would certainly know about it, which means the more labourious manual process would certaily be preferable to most players.

Therefore, I think by far the simplest solution is to go with the broadcast option. A standalone transponder signal will be represented on the map as an icon with an associated transponder ID. If you also have a sensor contact for the same ship, the Transponder information would be included in the contact data instead. I'll automatically add any alien transponder codes to the Tac Intelligence window if your sensors match up a active sensor contact with a transponder. I'll also allow you to associate an ID with a known alien class on the Tac Intelligence window so that in future transponder IDs for that class will be shown by the alien class name instead.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:03:13 AM »
Thanks, Steve - I think this handles my "hailing" request (as long as there's a "broadcase" mode).

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Thanks, Steve - I think this handles my "hailing" request (as long as there's a "broadcase" mode).

Yes, they will all be in broadcast mode. If you switch on the transponder then everyone in the system will see a Transponder Contact along with the Class ID you are broadcasting.

Steve

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:16:28 AM »
Umm...  why does the code being broadcast actually have to match any known class?

Each ship can change it's transponder to any class of that race or to any alien class for which you have learned the transponder codes.

Why can't I just set it to transmit some randomly selected code that has no relation to any class I've ever seen or built?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Randy »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:54:08 AM »
Quote from: "Randy"
Umm...  why does the code being broadcast actually have to match any known class?

Each ship can change it's transponder to any class of that race or to any alien class for which you have learned the transponder codes.

Why can't I just set it to transmit some randomly selected code that has no relation to any class I've ever seen or built?

You could set it to broadcast anything. However, you will either be broadcasting honestly, in which case you will transmit the actual class code or you will be trying to hide in plain sight by broadcasting a known but false code so that any defenders in the systems will let you pass without further investigation. If you are trying to avoid detection completely you would not broadcast at all

If you broadcast a nonsense code, you will give away your position and no doubt attract attention from any alien in the system who sees an unknown ship.

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
How do you change the code it sends? I just see orders to turn on and off.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:36:16 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
How do you change the code it sends? I just see orders to turn on and off.

There should be a dropdown with a list of classes above the activate button on the Misc tab of the Ship window.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »