Author Topic: Is it possible to edit offciers in sm mode ?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Norljus (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • N
Is it possible to edit offciers in sm mode ?
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:15:13 AM »
Is it possible to edit officiers in sm mode ? I would like to have a good survey team to start with.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Is it possible to edit offciers in sm mode ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:18:59 AM »
Not to my knowledge, sorry.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Shaitan

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:18:01 AM »
There is a replace all button, depending how desperate you are, you can reroll the lot of 'em.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:52:33 AM »
I too, would love to be able to generate individual officers with specific skills.  This could lead to players to take the easy way out and make ridiculously skilled teams right from the start if they wanted to 'cheat' but I like the RP possibilities for weighting your people to fit a RP racial skew.

You can regenerate all your people right from the start to try and generate a better distribution to your liking.  I like to reroll for my scientists to try and get a couple useful ones in missiles, propulsion and construction right from the start.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
I too, would love to be able to generate individual officers with specific skills.  This could lead to players to take the easy way out and make ridiculously skilled teams right from the start if they wanted to 'cheat' but I like the RP possibilities for weighting your people to fit a RP racial skew.

You can regenerate all your people right from the start to try and generate a better distribution to your liking.  I like to reroll for my scientists to try and get a couple useful ones in missiles, propulsion and construction right from the start.
The "cheating" thing doesn't really matter I think, since it's not properly multiplayer. If someone wants to ruin their own game by sucking all the fun out of it by godmodding, spacemaster mode can already do that, and frankly that's up to them.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »
Agreed, hence the quotes.  To me, using SM mode for just about anything other then initial system generation for non-sol starts feels like cheating.  Too much guilt for me if I know I didn't complete something the way it was intended.  I even felt guilty when I had to delete a bugged ship.    ::)

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
The way I "cheat" is simply by setting the construction cycle to 1 day at game start.  My scientists and administrators quickly grow to 60% with 60 facilities.  Once the game spreads out and I get to 5 day cycles, that rapid improvement flattens off and goes to what feels like nothing.

Part of the reason it feels like nothing is that the last 8 years in my game have taken at least as long to play as the previous 30.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
Agreed, hence the quotes.  To me, using SM mode for just about anything other then initial system generation for non-sol starts feels like cheating.  Too much guilt for me if I know I didn't complete something the way it was intended.  I even felt guilty when I had to delete a bugged ship.    ::)

SM mode is intended for you to act as SM.  While this includes starting set-up, it also includes other things during game-play.  A big one is working around the foibles of Aurora - the fact that SM exists means that certain "features" can be worked around, taking pressure off Steve for an immediate fix.  So don't feel guilty deleting a bugged ship - SM mode is there to be used!  (Of course doing exploity stuff, whether or not in SM mode, falls into the category of cheating at solitaire.)

John

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »
yeah the bugs will get worked around in the meantime, with the minerals system being unbalanced adding reasonable amounts of minerals early game is a bit more reasonable

Offline Deoxy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
Is it possible to edit officiers in sm mode ? I would like to have a good survey team to start with.

No, but you can edit them if you unlock the Access database all the data resides in...

It's been several months since I last played (or posted here), so I don't remember the format, but I had great fun digging into all the underlying data...  It's actually fairly robust, and adding extra systems to research and use wasn't that hard, either.

Fun times!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »
No, but you can edit them if you unlock the Access database all the data resides in...

It's been several months since I last played (or posted here), so I don't remember the format, but I had great fun digging into all the underlying data...  It's actually fairly robust, and adding extra systems to research and use wasn't that hard, either.

Fun times!

Just a caveat with that. If you modify the database and the program crashes, Steve generally discounts those errors unless they happen in an unmodified database.