Author Topic: Starfire under VASSEL  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Starfire under VASSEL
« on: November 02, 2012, 06:25:47 AM »
Anyone have any experience with this program and the existing Starfire Module?

I'm going to download and look at it over the weekend but is there anyone that has played around with this program?  Impressions or such would be helpful.  Especially how to possibly tie the Ship Details to the counter.

Offline crucis

• Lt. Commander
Re: Starfire under VASSEL
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:16:19 AM »
I'd suggest asking this question over on the SDS forum.  I think that you'd find a number of people who have used the Starfire module for Vassal.

Offline Starslayer_D

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »
Fist test today using the GSF module went decently. A turn change indication mechanism and a way to mark each mp spend would round it off nicely.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:59:14 AM »
Making a modified module that does what I would like will be my christmas project when I am home.  I would like the counters to have more useful information on them, and automate a few things (such as counting down movement points) plus have layers for shields down, streaming air, EM state, fired, moved.

I have to say that the module starslayer found is useful enough to allow online play.  But it would also be very useful for solo games as it enables you to save the board easily.

Two new systems got their combat debue...the Ls and the plasma torpedo.  Neither was found to be wonderful, though at least for the Ls that was my fault I should not have closed as much as I did and I would not have lost 2 BCs but it was a learning experience.  The plasma torpedoes were...shall we say underwhelming.

Offline Starslayer_D

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 05:09:20 AM »
Well, the plasma torpedo was mostly underwhelming as they couldn't close the range to below 20 hexes due to the commercial engines. Still, I fail to see how the system is supposed to compete against Rc armed battlecruisers at ranges gerater than 20 hexes. Maybe against monitors wich just don't have the turn mode.

The next generation grendels sure will have 3 HET and 1 Ls, and the Wodan got the Wa's ripped out and replaced by an Fc, allowing them way more ammunition. 40 CM-lt1 and 150 CM allow for far longer fire. Also, all 3 BC classes got TL8 electronics with improved datalink etc.

Not yet sure what to do design wise with the Ic goofballs. When the only reason you have ships left is that the other side didn't bring along a collier and thus couldn't continue to bombard you with CM from 22 hexes.....

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
The plasma torpedo thing is nutty but it ignores a lot of defences (EDM and EM) so that is good but its hit chance at range is minimal.  Once the SM2 with AAM shows up I don't see how this thing can compete.  I can get 2 Wa's for 6 HS they launch 4 missiles that do 3 pts of damage compared to the 8 HS for 5 damage.  It is inferior to the Wa and SM for the most part in my view.  It might be good for a dedicated assault ship, using it as a longer ranged Pg to take out bases further from the WP than can be hit by the Pg but for deep space enounters the CM will devestate you.  Putting it on commercial drive ships...well that hurt.  Still they drove off the relief force, and killed two BC...though there probably should be a remise of the attack as the N. Lizards can send a communications drone to the home world requesting they send a second force.