Author Topic: Just in case...  (Read 6795 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Just in case...
« on: July 17, 2014, 12:06:34 AM »
You are curious, near as I can figure these forums will be 11 years old in 8 days.

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
Re: Just in case...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:39:42 AM »
Happy birthday aurora2.pentarch.org!  8)
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:51:02 AM »
Erik, I assume you mean the boards for Arkayn Game Designs.  Congrate's,  that's a fair bit of time.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
Erik, I assume you mean the boards for Arkayn Game Designs.  Congrate's,  that's a fair bit of time.

Actually, I mean these boards. For Aurora.

Based on my increasingly senile memory, sometime in the 90s I hosted a mirror for Steve's website for SFA. Around the same time was the Rigellian Diary Yahoo group. Which transformed into the Aurora message list. And then here.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »
Nice!

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »
only a year or two more until girl forums make it feel nervous and sweaty.

I hope it's a fair assumption that Aurora is a boyforum.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »
only a year or two more until girl forums make it feel nervous and sweaty.

I hope it's a fair assumption that Aurora is a boyforum.

Girlforums are like alien swarms. They have cooties and must be destroyed ;)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »
Erik I'm with you on the "senile memory"!  ;D   As you many recall though, I was one of the more vocal participants in the great schism over Starfire 3rdR around '04/'05.  Those events led to Steve first starting the Rigellian Diary Mailing list which he them migrated to the Yahoo group in Sept '05.  (Yes I had too cheat and at least lookup dates to SFA downloads and the YahooGroup archives)

Up until about a year ago I still had archives of both the Starfire and RigellianDiary mailing lists.  Lost those when the drive they were stored on finally crashed.  Stupid me never backed them up offline.  

As I recall, with the help of the Yahoo Group archive, Steve started Aurora around June of '06.  Based on my own start date here, you started this board Sept of '06.  Your mirror of SFA obviously predates that, but I have no recollection since I would get my updates straight off of Steve's site.

So, while Aurora may only about 8 years old, I have not doubt that your support/envolvement with SFA is easily 11+.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 10:43:16 AM »
Erik I'm with you on the "senile memory"!  ;D   As you many recall though, I was one of the more vocal participants in the great schism over Starfire 3rdR around '04/'05.  Those events led to Steve first starting the Rigellian Diary Mailing list which he them migrated to the Yahoo group in Sept '05.  (Yes I had too cheat and at least lookup dates to SFA downloads and the YahooGroup archives)

Up until about a year ago I still had archives of both the Starfire and RigellianDiary mailing lists.  Lost those when the drive they were stored on finally crashed.  Stupid me never backed them up offline.  

As I recall, with the help of the Yahoo Group archive, Steve started Aurora around June of '06.  Based on my own start date here, you started this board Sept of '06.  Your mirror of SFA obviously predates that, but I have no recollection since I would get my updates straight off of Steve's site.

So, while Aurora may only about 8 years old, I have not doubt that your support/envolvement with SFA is easily 11+.

I'll bow to your research. :) Though I do recall playing Aurora at work (shhh) in 2005 or 2006. Well, I was at that job 2005-2008.

I know the mirror was in the 90s because it was on one of my Avalon.net accounts, which I had from 94 to 98. If the wayback machine is still around it should be accessible there.

Now I'm wondering why my account creation date here is 2003. These forums are the second or third iteration and it shouldn't be that far back.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »
I'll bow to your research. :) Though I do recall playing Aurora at work (shhh) in 2005 or 2006. Well, I was at that job 2005-2008.

At my last job I was "the database guy" and did work on arcane spreadsheets and data entry programs no one else understood. I think I took to aurora because it's the easiest game in the world to play at work.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »
At my last job I was "the database guy" and did work on arcane spreadsheets and data entry programs no one else understood. I think I took to aurora because it's the easiest game in the world to play at work.

I was (in that job) IT helpdesk. My day consisted of maybe unlocking one or two accounts, and to unjam a printer. So a lot of time for myself.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »

I know the mirror was in the 90s because it was on one of my Avalon.net accounts, which I had from 94 to 98. If the wayback machine is still around it should be accessible there.

Now I'm wondering why my account creation date here is 2003. These forums are the second or third iteration and it shouldn't be that far back.

I just looked at my email archive.  The final collapse of the 3rd Design Group was late 04, with the emails I have for the 3DG petering out in January 05. 

Kurt

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »
I just looked at my email archive.  The final collapse of the 3rd Design Group was late 04, with the emails I have for the 3DG petering out in January 05. 

Kurt

Wow 10 years! I remember being very annoyed at the time but it seems to have worked out OK :)