Author Topic: NPR strength at setup  (Read 1259 times)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
NPR strength at setup
« on: October 09, 2017, 01:37:03 AM »
Hi,

Returning (at least returning to reading the AARs) player here!

I'm thrilled about the 6. 40+ option of adding NPRs in the Sol System.  My question being, if I boost NPR strength at setup, it will also affect the strengths of the NPRs I add in the Sol system? And if yes, I can adjust that by giving them less population than a standard NPR, but what is the nominal strength to consider in this case?

Thanks a lot to Steve and others long term supporters of this awesome game. 

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: NPR strength at setup
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 02:25:56 PM »
The NPR % Strength modifier is still bugged / poorly implemented.  If you choose a strength over 100%, somewhere in the NPR planning code that increase gets overlooked for some things, resulting in an NPR starting strong then crashing.  It tries to spend 150,000 tons of minerals per year while only actually producing 100,000 tons, or something.

But yes, the NPR strength modifier applies to all NPRs (though please note that starting strengths/tech levels/other points ALSO vary for NPRs, from something like roughly half yours to roughly three times yours), even the ones on Earth in a multi-power start.

If I am remembering correctly, then the same 'Add an Empire' pop-up window that allows you to generate the Empire as an NPR also allows you to specify the starting population (in millions).  More than you = tougher than you; less than you = easier.

(If you make absolutely no changes to the starting set-up, Aurora will give you 500 million starting population, so I suppose you could consider that the baseline.  But for YOUR game, the 'nominal' amount is YOUR pop.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 12:25:09 AM »
Thanks Father Tim, much appreciated.   Now I'm confronted to a new and unexpected problem, In SM mode, when I create a new NPR empire in the System Information screen, I have not access to it.   I would like to edit whatever I want, including adding new colonies and some race details (like the flag, xenophobia, or in the Economics screen using the SM Mod button to edit manually facilities), but I don't see where I'm supposed to switch to their view, given the dropdown box don't propose NPR races, only player races.   That's a mystery and yet Steve and others have run AARs, so there is a solution!  ;D

Additional question, how do I edit the atmosphere of a planet so it is suitable, in SM mode (again, to add Human NPR colonies).   

Can you help please? You or another good samaritan, I'm not picky  8)

Offline Silvarelion

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:45:33 AM »
For colonies and ships, you can create what you want, and then transfer them to the NPR, through the industry tab, or the ship orders tab.

For editing the atmosphere, you can create your own colony, edit the atmosphere from the environment tab, then add an empire, and abandon the unwanted colony.

I haven't seen any way to edit the actual race.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »
Thanks. . .  but still stuck.  I have created a NPR Japan and a PR Russia.  I can transfer the Moon colony from Russia to myself (U. N) but I don't see Japan in the list.  I passed 5 seconds and I get as U. N thermal contact about the Russian and Japan population on Earth, so they are there (and they have ships in orbit), but no luck, I can't choose Japan as a target to transfer any colony.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:32:38 PM »
NPR don't actually follow all the rules, for ease of coding.  Which means you can't just turn on NPR status for an empire; it needs to be generated that way from the start.  Consequently, you are extremely limited in the amount of detail you can specify for it.  You're pretty much limited to the options that appear on the New Empire window when you tick the checkbox for 'Generate Empire as NPR', plus going to your Tac Intelligence (maybe Diplomacy?) window, and setting it to use Russian or Soviet theme for reporting said empire to you.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 12:51:50 AM »
ok, got that.  Now I just need to figure out how you can give a colony to a NPR (in SM mode or not) and I can setup my game.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »
Using designer mode it is possible to directly edit NPRs in every way that you can edit player controlled empires.
However Steve requires you to specifically ask for the password rather than allowing designer mode to be unlockable in teh same way as SM mode.
The reasoning being that it's much easier to damage your database and end up with errors when you start editing the NPRs stuff, and it saves the headache of getting bug reports for games broken in this way.
If you ask nicely you should get the password, just keep in mind that any bugs you get shouldn't be reported in the bug thread, maybe create a thread in Aurora chat for discussing what's going on, anything else you need help with etc.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
Ah, this would explain why I fail to see how the gurus  there do their things  :)

The thing, I already asked for it some 2 years ago (I played Aurora in 2015) but lost it.  But I'll ask Steve nicely, np!