Author Topic: National Updates Comment Thread  (Read 56417 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
National Updates Comment Thread
« on: August 30, 2015, 06:31:22 PM »
I've locked the main updates thread so it will be easy to read through. Please post any comments in this thread

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: National Updates Comment Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 11:03:10 PM »
Just reading through the starting forces right now, I'm a little surprised at how different all the starting fleets are, future conflict should be very interesting.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline TheRequimen

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:59:08 AM »
I really like what the warp point changes will do for this game.  Reminds me a lot of John J.  Lumpkin, "The Human Reach" series.   

Political star map from his books.    hxxp: www.   thehumanreach.   net/images/politicalmap_humanreach.   png
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:47:51 PM by TheRequimen »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:58:10 AM »
I really like what the warp point changes will do for this game.   Reminds me a lot of John J.   Lumpkin, "The Human Reach" series. 

Political star map from his books.  hxxp: www. thehumanreach. net/images/politicalmap_humanreach. png

I'm actually reading that series while playing - for the third time! :). Halfway through the second book. Do you happen to know when the third book will be out?

Offline TheRequimen

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »
This is John's reply to a thread on that subject on Amazon. 

"Hi, sorry for slow reply and thanks for your interest.  Yes, I'm still planning the third book.  I'm writing my dissertation right now, which takes most of my writing energies, but I hope to move forward with The Passage of Stars later this year. " Posted on Jan 26, 2015 4:46:25 PM PST

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »
Why are the Germans not using wolf 358 to get to "Neu Brandenburg" and "Neu Bayern" (Bavaria)? To many Borg? Since nobody laid claim to the wolf system as far as i see, it could be worth it to fortify it as Backdoorsystem. ("Operation Hintertür" ^^)
I see that Argentina uses it for transit but considering the the diplomatic problems with the Caliphate it would be better to move the Scharnhorsts through Wolf 358. Maybe split the traffic between wolf and medina

Also please name one of the (War) Ships "Orion" as an little german injoke ;)
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 06:44:57 PM »
Why are the Germans not using wolf 358 to get to "Neu Brandenburg" and "Neu Bayern" (Bavaria)? To many Borg? Since nobody laid claim to the wolf system as far as i see, it could be worth it to fortify it as Backdoorsystem. ("Operation Hintertür" ^^)
I see that Argentina uses it for transit but considering the the diplomatic problems with the Caliphate it would be better to move the Scharnhorsts through Wolf 358. Maybe split the traffic between wolf and medina

Also please name one of the (War) Ships "Orion" as an little german injoke ;)

The Germans have been using Wolf 358 to get to their original colonies but they have to go through Medina to reach all the other territory they have explored - that was the traffic mentioned in the post. I didn't realise that Bayern and Bavaria were the same thing :) I'll change the names as you suggested. One of the Deutschland class frigates is now the Orion. Is that a reference to the WW2 commerce raider?

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 07:11:23 PM »
Its a reference to the first (and some say only truly) German Science fiction made by the ARD it run under the Title "Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion". 
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »
Their enemies are the frogs. Hah.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:34:58 AM »
It feels like you do this to me every year, Steve. How in the world am I to focus on school with you writing such an interesting story AND teasing at 6.5!?

Eagerly awaiting the next installments.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »
I am seeing so many gates, how many of them were build by humans and how many by Aliens/precursors?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 11:29:28 AM »
I am seeing so many gates, how many of them were build by humans and how many by Aliens/precursors?

Mainly human. There are 9 construction ships at work (2 Japanese, 2 American, 2 UK, 2 Centauri and 1 Russian).

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »
I sense that Russia's up to shenanigans, AGAIN.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 04:10:45 PM »
You know the Chinese are going to take it in the shorts eventually.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »
I don't think calling them Manchuria will help with the universal constant
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.