New Players > The Academy

Glossary of Abbreviations?

(1/10) > >>

Jarhead0331:
Does one exist?  The UI, menus, and tutorials use a staggering amount of abbreviations...sometimes, there is no explanation of what is being abbreviated and its not always self explanatory...if a glossary exists where is it located and if not, I hope thats something that can be put together eventually.

S/F

Steve Walmsley:

--- Quote from: "Jarhead0331" ---Does one exist?  The UI, menus, and tutorials use a staggering amount of abbreviations...sometimes, there is no explanation of what is being abbreviated and its not always self explanatory...if a glossary exists where is it located and if not, I hope thats something that can be put together eventually.
--- End quote ---
I think the problem is that many of us have got so used to all to all the jargon and abbreviations we don't even realise when we are using them.

I'll start posting a list in this thread so if anyone has an abbreviation they need translating, post it in this thread and I will keep editing the master list contained in the next post

Steve

Steve Walmsley:
Placeholder Post for abbreviation list

AM: Automated Mine or Anti-matter
CF: Construction Factory
CIWS: Close in Weapon System. An automated phalanx-type system
ECCM: Electronic Counter Counter Measures. Counters the effects of ECM
ECM: Electronic Counter-measures
EM: Electromagnetic. Used for EM sensors, EM signature, etc
GB Engine: See FAC Engine
GB: Gunboat. Another term used for Fast Attack Craft (FAC)
GC: Gauss Cannon
FAC: Fast Attack Craft. In Aurora terms, usually used to refer to a small spacecraft of about 500-1000 tons that is equipped with a Fast Attack Craft Engine. Sometimes called a Gunboat
FAC Engine: Sometimes referred to as a GB Engine. This is a high-powered engine that has double the normal output but uses 10x fuel. Only one can be mounted on a spacecraft
FC: Fire Control
GFTF: Ground Forces Training Facility
HS: Hull Space. Ships are measured in hull spaces, which are 50 tons each. So a size 100 ship is 5000 tons.
HTK: Hits to Kill: How much damage is required to automatically destroy a ship system. If less damage than the HTK rating is inflicted, the chance of destruction is damage/HTK.
IFR: Incremental Failure Rate. This is the chance of a system failure on a ship during a 5-day increment. On the Ship Summary it shows the current IFR based on the ship's maintenance clock. On the Class Summary it shows the failure rate for a ship with one year on the clock.
JP: Jump point. Occasionally referred to as Warp Point
LP: Lagrange Point. An intra-system jump point found in the L5 lagrange point of super-jovians or massive gas giants (about sixty degrees behind the planet in its orbit)
MSP: Missile Size Point. The way in which the size of missiles, or the amount of space deciated to missile components, is usually described. 1 hull space (50 tons) is equal to 20 MSP. 1 MSP is equal to 1/20th of a hull space, or about 2.5 tons.
MSP: Maintenance Supply Point. MSP are used by ships to fix maintenance failures and carry out repairs.
NPR: Non-player Race. A computer-controlled Empire
OWP: Orbital Weapons Platform. Essentially a ship with no engines in orbit of a planet.
PD: Point Defense ?
PDC: Planetary Defence Centre. A base on a planetary surface. Designed in the Class Design window in a similar way to a ship. The difference is that the Type dropdown (middle top) is set to PDC instead of Ship. Built by industry rather than Shipyards
ROF: Rate of Fire
RP: Research Points
SM: Spacemaster. The referee in a multii-player game
SM Mode: Accessible via Ctrl-S on the main menu. Allows you to see and do more than you normally would as a player
SY: Shipyard
TCS: Target Cross-Section. The size of target for the purposes of active sensors

Elmo:
FAC = ?
PDC = ?

Just downloaded Aurora after seeing the thread at The Wargamer.  Really lost right now but hopefully it will make sense soon.  Thanks for what looks like a fun game.

Steve Walmsley:

--- Quote from: "Elmo" ---FAC = ?
PDC = ?

Just downloaded Aurora after seeing the thread at The Wargamer.  Really lost right now but hopefully it will make sense soon.  Thanks for what looks like a fun game.
--- End quote ---
Fast Attack Craft and Planetary Defence Centre. I have updated the main list

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version