Author Topic: Versioning the wiki  (Read 4851 times)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Versioning the wiki
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:39:22 AM »
Taking a page from the Dwarf Fortress wiki, they keep different versions of each page based on the version of the game they refer to.  When a new version comes out, the current version is batch copied and links updated to the new version number.  Differences from the previous version are then edited in as they become known.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

For example:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Bed
redirects to
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Bed
which has links to pages for previous versions.  The rest of the links on that page are to that version's pages.

With both Aurora 5.x and 6.x being played currently, this would help keep things straight.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Versioning the wiki
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:19:35 PM »
Be my guest :)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:59:40 AM »
Be my guest :)

Looking closely at the DF wiki, there is some background magic to make what they do work well.  This is going to take a fair bit of reading to understand and code properly.

Their system uses a custom namespace for each game version and a patched wiki.  This method may be overkill, but looks promising.  I'm assuming you have admin access to configure and patch the server.  If not, we can still do things manually, but this way should make maintenance easier.

In any case, it will probably take me a few days to get organized.  I'll post updates here.

Goodnight.

Offline milki

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »
dwarffortress wiki seems to use a template to handle versioning which seems pretty magical (hxxp: dwarffortresswiki. org/index. php/Template:ArticleVersion).   The versioning scheme really helps identify the validity of the information, especially since one isn't always playing the newest and greatest version.

Offline milki

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:30:50 PM »
With Erik's help with mediawiki plugins, I've been able to recreate Dwarf Fortress's version template! Or at least enough of it for the template itself to render properly. 

hxxp: aurorawiki.  pentarch.  org/index.  php?title=Template:ArticleVersion

Serviceowg

Versioning the wiki
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 01:26:22 AM »
I am unable to use the same username and password used for registering my forums account to edit the wiki.