Author Topic: More dumb questions  (Read 2366 times)

Offline sonofliberty (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
More dumb questions
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »
I probably missed it since the academy is over 60 pages, but how can I move my engineering brigade? I figured for sure my luxury liner could carry them. It can carry 5,000 passengers. So, what am I missing? I just want to transport them to some alien ruins. There is no opposed landing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:27:46 PM by sonofliberty »

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: More dumb questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
You will need to develop and build a troop transport ship with space for 5 battalions.  Troop transport module is something you need to research and then build the ship similar to any other cargo based craft.  From there use the task group command page to direct the ship to pick up the ground forces.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
Seriously? Just to move troops from one place to another? I thought this was based on RL shipping? Passenger liners have often been contracted to move troops, especially in the world wars.

ETA: I guess the game has no way to ship their equipment by cargo ship, which is what they would do IRL in this situation. That sets me back ~3 years though.  :(
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:45:36 PM by sonofliberty »

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
Yes it would be an interesting idea, though you then end up with the potential problem of shipping the equipment to the wrong location, so your heavy assault infantry end up with the riot suppresion gear while the garrison at a CMC ends up with the power armour and heavy tanks.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »
Nah, just assign them to the same TG. No worries, just gonna take time for the research, then build the ships, then finally transport the engineers and troops to back them up.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »
On a different topic. Can I assume that if I drop an espionage team off on an Alien world, they will do their job automatically?

NVM, I figured it out.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:29:56 PM by sonofliberty »

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »
You would drop off a Xeno team, not an espionage team.  It will take the Xeno team some time to decipher the ruins.  Depending on skill, size and luck it might take years.  For now your engineering team is not yet needed so you have time.

An early game troop transport is one area that I fudge the rules a bit.  Since I usually only need one initially and it takes a long time to research, design, retool and build one single ship: I just use Fast OOB Creation and SM myself one ship.  Slightly later game when combat troops need transported I build those ships.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:02:51 AM »
This was versus live aliens, an NPR.

I should have thought about SM'ing a ship.

Do Xeno and Geo teams work on Earth? I have ruins on Earth, but my Xeno team has been there 5 years and nothing has happened. Same with my Geo team, the geo report still is not finished.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »
Xeno teams stay at work until they succeed their roll, the likelihood of which depends on their skill.  Geo teams stay at work until the planet is deemed surveyed - everytime they succeed a geo roll, there's a chance that the planet be deemed surveyed.  Again, the skill of the geo team improves the chance of succeeding at rolls.   Also, up to a point (120 skill I think?), it can lower the chance of the planet being deemed survey complete.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:20:54 AM »
You might just need to swap out officers in your xeno and geo teams for people with higher skills

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
For geo surveys 140 skill is the figure I've seen around the forums as being the point at which the chance of a survey being considered finished is reduced to the minimum. Any skill above that just increases the likelyhood of a deposit being found in any particular interval.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 09:33:14 AM »
My teams run from 110-125 average for all my different teams. Can 2 teams work together?

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 09:37:50 AM »
You can have more than one team operating on a planet, yes. But their efforts are completely seperate.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »
How do you disassemble alien ship components for RP points and/or scrap?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »
Take them to your research world, open the colony screen (F2), Industry tab, Stockpile tab.
Disassemble gives you research points but no resources
Scrap gives you resources, but no research points.

If you Disassemble a part and you can´t learn anything, a message to that effect will pop up.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany