Author Topic: planetary resources, multi-faction starts.  (Read 1870 times)

Offline linkxsc (OP)

• Commander
planetary resources, multi-faction starts.
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:50 PM »
So... Ima be heading home from this job sometime this week which means i can play with my desktop, and thus experiment a little more widely with the game than currently.

Now i know that adjusting your starting stats for the game can seriously change up the average resources on planets. Earth with a 500m start will have 50-150k of each resource, while a 5b start will have 500k-1.5m
 Average of course.

Was just wondering how this affected if you started with multiple factions on the same planet (like 2 2.5bil pop factions, would they have the same minerals to work with as a 5bil single start?)

My overall plan was to start with 4 nations, and play each focusing on a general strategy. (1 goes heavy on fighters, 1 likes their light to med ships, 1 goes for 50kt behemoths, and 1 tries to strike a balance in design.)

This giving me numerous chances to experiment with ship designs and such. And perhaps some lulz.

Offline Sharp

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
Re: planetary resources, multi-faction starts.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 04:26:03 AM »
Well you need SM mode to get a multi-empire start on the same planet and with that you have to adjust the amount of minerals on the planet with SM mode. You can just start off with your starting empire then as you add more factions you can increase the starting minerals appropriately.

Of course it can be more fun to make it competitive and thus encourage space exploration and mining with limited Earth resources but that is up to you.

Offline martinuzz

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:21:08 AM »
If you turn on SpaceMaster, and press F9, you'll find a button called specify minerals. You can use this to specify exactly how many minerals are present, at what accessability, on any system body.

Offline linkxsc (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »
Well the thought was to limit then a bit, but still have enough so all 4 of them can get off the ground (no pun intended)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:43:05 PM »
Leave it as it is and see how that works for you, as you can always alter them later.

Offline martinuzz

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 04:33:33 AM »
Leave it as it is and see how that works for you, as you can always alter them later.

"The deus ex machina Geology Team has located addition deposits of Duranium on Earth!"

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:49:19 AM »
In general I find that increasing the resources with about 25% per faction above the starting amount of the first is good enough. If you have five factions each starting with 500m people all competing for that one factions resources you will run out very quick, perhaps too quick. Increasing it by about double seems about right.