Author Topic: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread  (Read 213342 times)

Offline jem

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • j
Re: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8144.  msg85344#msg85344 date=1453848323
Are you salvaging wrecks and getting errors, or are the errors appearing without you salvaging?

Salvaging. 

Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8144.  msg85343#msg85343 date=1453848264
This is not an error.   You just didn't find any tech in the wreckage. 

I have salvaged several wrecks, many that did not have any new tech whatsoever and yet this thing has only come up three times.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   If this was not a bug it would be up constantly. 

Edit: Also, it has come up around the other errors.  Then and only then.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:38:53 PM by jem »

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2016, 11:19:45 PM »
Salvaging. 

I have salvaged several wrecks, many that did not have any new tech whatsoever and yet this thing has only come up three times.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   If this was not a bug it would be up constantly. 

Edit: Also, it has come up around the other errors.  Then and only then.
It could very well be possible that you're either unlucky or that the wrecks you're salvaging have all the new tech destroyed, or that it's simply not that much ahead of your civilization in tech, if at all.
Also, for clarity, an Error is when the game outright pops a little pop up window saying something went wrong, or otherwise logs such. A bug is when something doesn't behave properly or otherwise as intended. Two different things, even if they can overlap quite a bit at times.

Offline firefly2442

• Leading Rate
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2016, 12:00:51 AM »
One other small bug I noticed is that it doesn't seem to be possible to create an empty task group in a system that doesn't have any ships.   For example, I explore outside Sol and colonize a system but there are no ships in it.   If I go and create a task group, it uses Sol as the location.   This then becomes an issue when you have a shipyard but you can't assign any empty task group for it to go in.   Maybe there could be a button or option when creating ships at the shipyard to create a generic empty task group that the ships will go (similar to how Shipyard TG is setup at the beginning?).

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2016, 12:15:39 AM »
In spacemaster mode you can set the position of a task group.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline jem

• j
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2016, 06:01:40 AM »
Quote from: iceball3 link=topic=8144. msg85363#msg85363 date=1453871985
It could very well be possible that you're either unlucky or that the wrecks you're salvaging have all the new tech destroyed, or that it's simply not that much ahead of your civilization in tech, if at all.
Also, for clarity, an Error is when the game outright pops a little pop up window saying something went wrong, or otherwise logs such.  A bug is when something doesn't behave properly or otherwise as intended.  Two different things, even if they can overlap quite a bit at times.

After I took two or three launcher miniaturisation and reload techs, I am ages in front of them in tech.  Thing is, I have 400+ wrecks from theses guys sitting in my system.  And while it is annoying as hell when the game stops with "new" intelligence this is not what is happening here.  That is intended behaviour.  But this window about disassembly does not pop for each and every one.  What is happening is that on some of those wrecks, while at the same time as all the other error messages (but not always) , this message pops as well.  No it is not an error message as such, but I still maintain that its appearance is a bug or somehow connected to a bug. 

And really, if that message was supposed to pop for every wreck where I know everything about the ship, why does it not pop for my own ships?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2016, 07:04:57 AM »
Hint; Its not you. There is a spoiler that eats ships without gaining tech in order to spawn more ships.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline jem

• j
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »
Quote from: 83athom link=topic=8144.   msg85375#msg85375 date=1453899897
Hint; Its not you.    There is a spoiler that eats ships without gaining tech in order to spawn more ships.   

I am assuming you mean swarm, yes?

This is the debree field after the three big waves that came through the gate in the middle.    On the left is one of my salvager fleets working and in the middle is a warfleet with quite good sensor capability.    I am quite convinced that I would notice some haphazard alien in the middle of it.   .   .   .   .   .   .   

Now it is possible that some other wreck somewhere else is being eaten at exactly (+- 2 days) the same time, but that really should not give me popups about it (be they disassembly or wreck errors).   

Edit: Does this forum not like url tags? Anyway here is the link: hxxp: imgur.com/CotR2hn

Edit by sloanjh:  Added more spoiler tagging and fixed the url.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:15:27 AM by sloanjh »

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2016, 11:36:43 AM »
Yes it is the Swarm, and yes they do show you popups from them even in distant systems.
There are nothing wrong with the forums, you don't have enough posts to post a link, anti-spam measure. imgur.com/CotR2hn
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline jayrat

• Registered
  • Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »
Not sure if this a bug or just something I did wrong when setting up.

Any time in any game that I try to get to the system information screen I get a message: error 7 Out of Memory.  I have tired reinstalling both the manual way and with the portable version and both times to the root of my hard drive (c:\aurora) and still get the same error message.  I am running Windows 10 64 version.  The Aurora process is never taking up more than 60 megs of memory according the system task manager.

My system is never more than at 62% memory usage (Aurora is around 56 megs used) with more than a gig left.   I've already tried shutting down as much as I can before starting the game, but this error happens if I just load the example game and instantly hit F9 for the System Information Screen.

Offline AcidWeb

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2016, 02:02:22 PM »
Could you please make sure that during shutdown proper color schemes are restored? Some code that trigger after opening the system map mess colors system-wide in all modern Windows releases.

Can't fix it with wrapper.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2016, 02:15:27 PM »
Could you please make sure that during shutdown proper color schemes are restored? Some code that trigger after opening the system map mess colors system-wide in all modern Windows releases.

Can't fix it with wrapper.

If you close from the main menu, colour schemes will be restored. If there is some sort of bug that results in a crash or the game is terminated from task manager, that code won't execute. In that case, start and close Aurora to restore settings.

Offline AcidWeb

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2016, 02:20:16 PM »
Well that don't work on any OS on which I tested it.

To be specific - not all color changes are reverted. For example system popup windows are still discolored. Colors is some context menus too.
Newer systems are affected even worse.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:44:21 PM by AcidWeb »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2016, 03:02:26 PM »
Well that don't work on any OS on which I tested it.

I'm using a function call to a 20 year old MS DLL to reset the system colours. It works fine on my Windows 7 and earlier operating systems. Perhaps the limitations of VB6 are causing problems for newer systems, although I haven't seen any other bug reports to this effect (colour problems despite normal shut down) and I know a lot of players are using newer systems. Unfortunately, if I can't reproduce the problem, it is difficult to know how to resolve it.

Offline Kajin

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2016, 03:06:25 PM »
Error in UpdateAllSensors

Error 6 was generated by Aurora
Overflow
Please report

I'm getting this error message every time I pass a day's worth of turns.  Passing thirty days generates upwards of thirty to sixty of these error messages in a row, forcing me to have to click my way through all of them to get the game to work again.  Other than that the game seems to work just fine.  Is there any sort of work around that I can employ until this gets sorted out so the game doesn't become quite so unplayable? It's getting to be quite bothersome.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2016, 03:29:09 PM »
I've not had issues with the colours reverting on 8, 8.1 or 10
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.