Author Topic: Converting 3rd Ed scenarios into R3rd ed  (Read 1655 times)

Offline MWadwell (OP)

• Commander
Converting 3rd Ed scenarios into R3rd ed
« on: August 08, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »
G'Day All,

Has anyone ever done any work converting 3rd ed scenarios (i.e. from the ISW-1/2/3/Crusade scenario books) into R3rd ed?

The reason that I'm asking, is that I've noticed that with some of the tech changes (i.e. Dx), there is a _dramatic_ change (which complicates the balance of the scenario) - and I'm hoping to get some tips on how it has been done before......
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by MWadwell »
Later,
Matt

Offline Zume

• Lieutenant
    • http://members.cox.net/desslok/starfire-index.shtml
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 06:55:16 PM »
Yes, some clarification would be appreciated. Especially since somewhere in 3rd Edition Dx, and even in the UTM, I believe, is credited to be able to fire twice against fighters/small craft per turn if used in that mode.

Zume
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Zume »

Offline MWadwell (OP)

• Commander
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:05:21 PM »
Quote from: "Zume"
Yes, some clarification would be appreciated. Especially since somewhere in 3rd Edition Dx, and even in the UTM, I believe, is credited to be able to fire twice against fighters/small craft per turn if used in that mode.

Zume

Using Dx as an example.

In 3rd ed, a Dx is just a D that can be used to defend against missiles fired against a datalinked ship/base (which is also shared by the R3rd ed Dx), as well as being able to re-engage missiles that have been missed (i.e. if you've missed once, but have extra shots available, you can re-engage the missile until you either hit it, or run out of shots).

But in R3rd ed, the Dx has more shots than a D, and can be used to triple up (against the D's ability to double up).

So looking at the effectiveness of a single Dx verse salvo size, you have the following (and please excuse me if I stuff up the formatting):

3rd ed Dx - Salvo size(# of missiles stopped) :
1(.9) 2(1.6) 3(2.1) 4(2.4) 5 (2.5) 6+(2.5)

R3rd ed Dx - Salvo size(# of missiles stopped):
1(.9) 2(1.7) 3(2.3) 4(2.9) 5(3.5) 6+(3.5)

And so looking at the increase in R3rd ed missiles stopped to 3rd ed - Salvo size(increase in R3rd ed effectiveness over 3rd ed):
1(0%) 2(6%) 3(10%) 4(21%) 5(40%) 6+(40%)

[Note: That I am ignoring the 3rd ed Dx ability of re-engaging leakers, as that only affects _incredibly_ small (salvo size):(Dx installation) occurances - which rarely happens).]

So if you look at the above, you see that the R3rd ed Dx stops _more_ missiles per installation (40% more when the Dx is being saturated) than 3rd ed Dx.

And so to balance the scenarios, you need to take into account the increase in Dx effectiveness.

[Note: That I am only looking at Dx's ability to stop _missiles_ - the to-hit to destroy fighters is _also_ different, with the R3rd ed Dx being _much_ better against fighters.]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by MWadwell »
Later,
Matt