Author Topic: Putting Fleets in Higher Orbits  (Read 1348 times)

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Putting Fleets in Higher Orbits
« on: September 27, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »
Until now, going into orbit meant moving to a planet or moon and remaining at zero range. As the planet moved, so would the fleet. In situations such as multi-race starts on the same planet this means you can have a lot of hostile warships at range zero from each other and from any ground-based weapons. The only real alternatives are to send them to orbit a moon or some other planet

In v3.2, you can give a fleet an order to go into an orbit some distance from a system body. For example, you might order a couple of destroyers to orbit Earth at 100,000 km. They will move to a point 100,000 kilometers away and will then orbit Earth at that distance without expending fuel. The orbital period will be based on distance from the planet and the mass of the planet. As an example, a ship at 60,000 kilometers will orbit the Earth every 39 hours. The actual formula is:

((Orb distance in kilometers/400000)^3 * 793.64/Planet Mass)^0.5

This will provide much more freedom in positioning units and multi-race starts on Earth could result in many ships orbiting the planet at different ranges and bearings. There is no limit to the range so you could orbit Earth at ten million or a hundred million kilometers if you wish. Ships in orbit will move on their orbital path even if you set their speed to 1. This may also allow you to orbit a ship with engines off toward an enemy force with a much lower chance of detection.

Although planets only move in their orbit during the 5-day increment, because of their generally shorter orbital periods and also because there are a lot fewer fleets than moons and asteroids, fleets in higher orbits will move during every time increment.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »
I should also mention that fleets in higher orbits do not get maintenance from maintenance facilities on the planet. I could come up with some type of maintenance distance limit, perhaps based on a tech line, so that fleets in higher orbit can be maintained. If I do this though, I probably should have show some sort of slow-moving maintenance traffic that can be attacked.

On a side note, it took me about six hours to get VB to draw partial orbital paths so that fleets and contacts can be shown with curved tails when in orbit. It became considerably easier once I remembered that the VB circle function counted degrees backwards and started at what we would regard as +90. Until then, there was a certain amount of frustration at VB's apparent illogical arc drawing :)

Steve

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »
You might want to put distance limits on orbits unless you want to get into multi body calculations.  At a certain distance away, the Sun's influence would be greater than the Earth's.

For example, the 100 million kilometer orbit you mentioned would have issues with the Sun, Mars, Venus and Mercury.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ShadoCat »

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:11:36 AM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
You might want to put distance limits on orbits unless you want to get into multi body calculations.  At a certain distance away, the Sun's influence would be greater than the Earth's.

For example, the 100 million kilometer orbit you mentioned would have issues with the Sun, Mars, Venus and Mercury.

Yes, that's a good point. I don't want to get into multi-body calculations so perhaps I should have a limit of one third the distance to whatever the body is orbiting.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 05:16:46 AM »
Attached is a screenshot showing the orbital paths for a fleet and two nearby contacts (left click image to enlarge to full size).

[attachment=0:8duu2m2w]Orbit.GIF[/attachment:8duu2m2w]
Steve