Author Topic: Changes to Selection of Civilian Ship Classes  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Changes to Selection of Civilian Ship Classes
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »
At the moment, the class chosen for a civilian ship is based on non-obsolete classes of that type. So if a civilian colony fleet is to be created, the program will list all non-obsolete colony designs for the race in question and then choose one at random. This isn't particularly realistic and can be abused. In my current campaign I found myself designing a jump-capable colony ship, that I had no intention of building myself, and then making all the other colony designs obsolete so that civilians would build it :). For v3.2, when a particular type of civilian ship is required the program will create a list of all ships of that type currently in service, regardless of whether they are obsolete, and will randomly select a design, weighted by the number of each design in service. For example, if a new civilian ship is required and you have ten Mk 1 Colony Ships in service, six Mk II colony ships and four Mk III colony ships, there is a 50% chance the civilian ship will be a Mk I, 30% it will be a Mk II and 20% it will be a Mk III. This will create a civilian fleet that is based on the type of ships in regular use by your race, not on the most modern designs available.

On a related note, I have restricted the maximum level of a civilian space centre to 10. Once the CSC for a particular pop reaches that level, it will not grow any further.

Steve