Author Topic: Commercial civilian Shiplines  (Read 3366 times)

Offline roug (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • r
Commercial civilian Shiplines
« on: May 10, 2020, 03:12:56 AM »
I know i can turn of the civilian shiplines but are there any possibility to lower there "grow rate"? i just think its to many shiplines in the start of the game, i only have 1 colony and there are like 7 shiplines and a LOT of ships!

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Commercial civilian Shiplines
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 03:41:29 AM »
There is no way to lower their growth by some button. I am switching Civilian Shipping Lines Active checkbox on and off to prevent them from building new ships when they have enough. New shipping lines will continue to spawn, they will not produce any ships.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 08:22:21 AM »
I know i can turn of the civilian shiplines but are there any possibility to lower there "grow rate"? i just think its to many shiplines in the start of the game, i only have 1 colony and there are like 7 shiplines and a LOT of ships!

Stop 'feeding' them (i.e. giving them money).

- - - - -

If you turn off commercial shipping lines after game start they won't build any new ships, but existing ships will not disappear and will continue to move trade goods (and attempt to fulfill any contracts you set up.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:45:20 PM by Father Tim »

Offline roug (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • r
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 08:59:08 AM »
Thanks for help. Thats good.

Offline Thrake

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 09:11:14 AM »

- - - - -

If you turn off commercial shipping lines after game start they won't build any new ships, but existing ships will not disappear and will continue to move trade goods (and any attempt to fulfil any contracts you set up.

What do you mean? I had a similar issue, all the shipping line did was transfering new colonists and infrastructure to support the colonists it was shipping, ie. it felt like the civilian economy was self-sufficient even without me setting up contracts to use their own freighters to move things I had manufactured.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 06:32:43 PM »

- - - - -

If you turn off commercial shipping lines after game start they won't build any new ships, but existing ships will not disappear and will continue to move trade goods (and any attempt to fulfil any contracts you set up.

What do you mean? I had a similar issue, all the shipping line did was transfering new colonists and infrastructure to support the colonists it was shipping, ie. it felt like the civilian economy was self-sufficient even without me setting up contracts to use their own freighters to move things I had manufactured.

This. There is no way to "freeze" civilian income. So although you can freeze construction if at any point you want it to continue you should expect a spike in construction. Particularly if the lines have been blue balled for extended periods of time.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 07:42:58 PM »
I have a question for those experiencing too many civilians, as I have yet to have an empire last long enough for that in C#, but are those civilian ships actually working or are they sitting idle?  In the former case I would say WAI, but in the latter I would consider it a bug.  Creating new shipping lines when an empty one exists should also be a bug.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 07:49:25 PM »
I keep thinking (and that was since vb6 aurora) that you could easily fix part of the problem adding a string of code to force the civs to scrap and update their fleet more often eating up their cash.

Also as discussed many times the introduction of a cap of the number of civilian ships would also be really appreciated.

Finally I always thought that one could also be able to change taxation of the civs to cap their income and also generate  more money to finance our war machine.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:53:26 PM by froggiest1982 »

The following users thanked this post: Cristo

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 07:52:38 PM »
I have a question for those experiencing too many civilians, as I have yet to have an empire last long enough for that in C#, but are those civilian ships actually working or are they sitting idle?  In the former case I would say WAI, but in the latter I would consider it a bug.  Creating new shipping lines when an empty one exists should also be a bug.

WAI even if idle. You are trying to regulate market. Even if there is a surplus of offer nobody keeps an investor to break into the market. I think they have been created following this model.

I never seen too many ships idle anyway expecially with multiple colonies and trade agreements with Aliens.

There are always goods to move.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 08:23:45 PM »

WAI even if idle. You are trying to regulate market. Even if there is a surplus of offer nobody keeps an investor to break into the market. I think they have been created following this model.

I never seen too many ships idle anyway expecially with multiple colonies and trade agreements with Aliens.

Real companies don't build more ships if they have some running idle, that surplus money should go to dividends, and new entrants don't try to break in to saturated markets if they want to succeed.

I haven't seen many idle civilians in C# either, but I've also never had so many that I've considered turning them off.  Those in that situation may be seeing something that we haven't.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 08:28:31 PM »

Real companies don't build more ships if they have some running idle, that surplus money should go to dividends, and new entrants don't try to break in to saturated markets if they want to succeed.

I haven't seen many idle civilians in C# either, but I've also never had so many that I've considered turning them off.  Those in that situation may be seeing something that we haven't.

Mostly idle ships after a while are colony ships.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 12:02:24 AM »

- - - - -

If you turn off commercial shipping lines after game start they won't build any new ships, but existing ships will not disappear and will continue to move trade goods (and attempt to fulfill any contracts you set up.
You can manually delete their ships though.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 02:33:17 AM »
I'd rather they build smaller numbers of bigger ships...

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 05:26:11 AM »
I think that civilian shipping should work a bit differently. They should need to pay a maintenance on their ship so if they is no jobs for them their income should go down and they could then "sell" the ships for say half as much as they paid for them.

As long as there is jobs and income they are needed... but they should be removed organically if there is not enough jobs for them. They also should have two different economies for freighters and colony ships.

They probably also should focus a bit more on upgrading smaller ships for larger ones after a while rather than just buy new ones.

Those two things could make them spawn less useful ships.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 11:45:19 AM »

Mostly idle ships after a while are colony ships.
That is what I suspected.  Thank you.  Aurora tries to keep the number of freighters and colonizers equal, which means they overproduce colonizers.  I'll need to watch them to see if they have the same buggy decommission logic for excess colonizers as well.

I think that civilian shipping should work a bit differently. They should need to pay a maintenance on their ship so if they is no jobs for them their income should go down and they could then "sell" the ships for say half as much as they paid for them.

As long as there is jobs and income they are needed... but they should be removed organically if there is not enough jobs for them. They also should have two different economies for freighters and colony ships.

They probably also should focus a bit more on upgrading smaller ships for larger ones after a while rather than just buy new ones.

Those two things could make them spawn less useful ships.
Civilian ships are supposed to age out and be scrapped, and if the line is doing well they are supposed to build larger ships to replace them.  I agree that freighters and colonizers are too tightly coupled.