Author Topic: Aliens in starting system  (Read 1804 times)

Offline steelyeyed (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
Aliens in starting system
« on: May 28, 2020, 10:06:47 PM »
I have been starting conventional new games and at least half the time I get aliens in my starting system.   Not just ships showing up, but owning a planet.   Is there a setting to prevent aliens from living on the planet next door?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Aliens in starting system
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 10:45:40 PM »
I have been starting conventional new games and at least half the time I get aliens in my starting system.   Not just ships showing up, but owning a planet.   Is there a setting to prevent aliens from living on the planet next door?

Are you playing real stars or custom?

Do you generate a new system or starting from Sol?

Did you flag the race starting in same system when setting up the game at the start?

From my experience I never had another race/spoiler/alien in my starting system unless I set it up that way and I don't even know if it is possible though. And we talking about hundreds of starts in VB6 and probably almost 30/40 on C# if we consider all the patches/bugs that forced me to restart a campaign.

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 12:42:48 AM »
I did a conventional start game too, and within three years I had NPR ships transiting through Sol. I was on random stars - is that normal?

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 12:53:23 AM »
I did a conventional start game too, and within three years I had NPR ships transiting through Sol. I was on random stars - is that normal?
I had that too and it was the All-Roads-Lead-To-Sol bug rearing its ugly head.  When half the jump points lead to you, it doesn't take long to be found.  That bug should be fixed now, so while it is possible to be found quickly it shouldn't be common.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
It is impossible to start with aliens in your home system unless you create them there yourself.

I had that too and it was the All-Roads-Lead-To-Sol bug rearing its ugly head.  When half the jump points lead to you, it doesn't take long to be found.  That bug should be fixed now, so while it is possible to be found quickly it shouldn't be common.
This is the likely explanation - they didn't start in your home system but came there quickly due to the Local System Generation bug that is now fixed.

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »
Given that it was in 1.10, if it was the All-Roads-Lead-To-Sol issue, then there's a problem. :D

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »
Given that it was in 1.10, if it was the All-Roads-Lead-To-Sol issue, then there's a problem. :D
Unless you just got unlucky then that would be the case.  Do you still have that database?

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 08:23:35 PM »
Unless you just got unlucky then that would be the case.  Do you still have that database?

Yeah, I've got it saved, I haven't started my 1.11 game yet.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 11:05:47 PM »

Yeah, I've got it saved, I haven't started my 1.11 game yet.
If you gravsurvey Sol in SM mode and there are a lot of JPs then it is All-Roads-Lead-To-Sol.  If there are only a few then you were just unlucky.

Offline steelyeyed (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 03:18:30 AM »
I was mistaken.   They were next door, just showing up within a couple of 30 day turns.