Author Topic: Question about civilian designs  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Question about civilian designs
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:44:53 AM »
Do civilians use components that you designate as obsolete in their designs? I know they design their own engines and such, but I am thinking about the core parts. For example if I were to make every single cargo module obsolete with the exception of very large ones. Will this mean all civilian cargo ships can only use designs having very large cargo modules?

Offline Migi

• Captain
Re: Question about civilian designs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 09:18:15 PM »
I don't think civilians use your components at all when designing ships, eg civilian engines. Someone in another thread was complaining that their civilians kept up to date with the minimum power modifier and hence kept slowing the civilian ships down.

Also IIRC you can't obsolete anything which isn't a designed components, I think it was reported as a bug early on.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 11:11:33 PM »
I don't think civilians use your components at all when designing ships, eg civilian engines. Someone in another thread was complaining that their civilians kept up to date with the minimum power modifier and hence kept slowing the civilian ships down.

Also IIRC you can't obsolete anything which isn't a designed components, I think it was reported as a bug early on.
I just obsoleted Bridges and Crew Quarters, so that bug must be fixed now.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »

No, that's the bug.

You should not be able to obsolete components which are not designed racial tech.  You should never be able to obsolete Bridges or Crew Quarters.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 09:32:00 PM »

No, that's the bug.

You should not be able to obsolete components which are not designed racial tech.  You should never be able to obsolete Bridges or Crew Quarters.
Survey sensors and ECM/ECCM aren't designed components but I do expect to be able to obsolete them when I research better ones.  Not allowing that would be a bug.  Obsoleteing essentials like bridges and crew quarters is also harmless as they are still available for new designs, just not listed by default.  What is a bug is that non-designed components can't be un-obsoleted.

Edit: I spoke incorrectly.  The 'Obsolete Component' button on the Class Window will also un-obsolete components, including non-designed components.  I don't know if this feature is documented anywhere, but there is no bug here.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:38:06 PM by SpikeTheHobbitMage »