Author Topic: Producing MSP with regular Industry  (Read 2880 times)

Offline FrankyNL (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • F
Producing MSP with regular Industry
« on: May 31, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
I remember that it was possible to build MSP in VB6 is this also possible in C#?

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Producing MSP with regular Industry
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 12:00:24 PM »
Nope. That function has been entirely replaced by maintenance facilities which provide a continuous production.

The following users thanked this post: FrankyNL

Offline FrankyNL (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 11:36:17 AM »
I was wondering if something more is changed how maintance currently works, because the production of MSP is slow right now or difficult to increase quickly. 

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 11:47:16 AM »
I was wondering if something more is changed how maintance currently works, because the production of MSP is slow right now or difficult to increase quickly.
In VB aurora I think maintenance facilities may have directly used minerals to provide upkeep on ships in orbit? In C# they use MSP. So if you're maintaining an expensive fleet that might be a difference you notice?

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:55:52 PM »

Yeah, that's my experience well, but I haven't found it to be problematic yet, as I have so far been able to keep up with fleet maintenance.
Previously it was possible to produce a lot rather quickly with industry, but I think it might be helpful to consider MSP a resource of a similar kind as fuel. You can't produce a lot of fuel very quickly. You can build lots of fuel refineries, if you are low, but you learn very quickly (once you have your first fuel crisis) that it is essential to think ahead and plan your production. A slow and steady production.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »

there is a research branch for that

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 06:55:37 PM »
Speaking of MSP, is there a way to move it from one planet to another? I've moved my maintenance facilities to Luna.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 06:58:28 PM »
Speaking of MSP, is there a way to move it from one planet to another? I've moved my maintenance facilities to Luna.
Any supply ship can move it.  You just need maintenance storage and shuttles.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »
But you can ship via cargo holds, yes?
Any supply ship can move it.  You just need maintenance storage and shuttles.

So cargo holds cant hold MSP?
Not that I know of.  Haven't tried it, honestly.

Offline FrankyNL (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 01:25:02 AM »
Thanks to all, I just increased the amount of facilaties so I will produce more. 
I also found some MSP on my other colonies so I transfered them to earth  :)
I suddenly was short on MSP after I had created some supply ships.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 02:24:54 AM »
MSP have to be managed allot more carefully in C# Aurora and I think that is a new interesting angle to ship logistics. It also forces you to think a bit more on how you design ships as well. Wasting too much MSP on maintenance failures can over time actually be a liability.

It might in many instances be cheaper to skimp on Engineering sections on your ships in favour of more MSP storage and repairing broken components during deployment. But it also can cost you allot over time in terms of strategical reserves of MSP that you might need in a dragged out war in the same way you can suddenly find fuel becoming a problem when you suddenly need to actually move your fleets around.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 04:14:59 AM »
MSP have to be managed allot more carefully in C# Aurora and I think that is a new interesting angle to ship logistics. It also forces you to think a bit more on how you design ships as well. Wasting too much MSP on maintenance failures can over time actually be a liability.

It might in many instances be cheaper to skimp on Engineering sections on your ships in favour of more MSP storage and repairing broken components during deployment. But it also can cost you allot over time in terms of strategical reserves of MSP that you might need in a dragged out war in the same way you can suddenly find fuel becoming a problem when you suddenly need to actually move your fleets around.

Yeah definitely agree with this - and there is a nice trade off with the weapon failure mechanics, since on the other hand having a big MSP pool on your ships will keep them in action longer.

Offline CowboyRonin

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 07:41:40 AM »
Quote from: mike2R link=topic=11585. msg136069#msg136069 date=1591262099
Quote from: Jorgen_CAB link=topic=11585. msg136059#msg136059 date=1591255494
MSP have to be managed allot more carefully in C# Aurora and I think that is a new interesting angle to ship logistics.  It also forces you to think a bit more on how you design ships as well.  Wasting too much MSP on maintenance failures can over time actually be a liability.

It might in many instances be cheaper to skimp on Engineering sections on your ships in favour of more MSP storage and repairing broken components during deployment.  But it also can cost you allot over time in terms of strategical reserves of MSP that you might need in a dragged out war in the same way you can suddenly find fuel becoming a problem when you suddenly need to actually move your fleets around.

Yeah definitely agree with this - and there is a nice trade off with the weapon failure mechanics, since on the other hand having a big MSP pool on your ships will keep them in action longer.

However, it can also bite you in the posterior, if you rely on a large MSP pool that gets eaten up with engine failures on a semi-regular basis, including when you're heading into combat.   I completely agree with the basic point that weapon failures and the updated maintenance mechanics add a significant element to both ship design (including both adequate maintenance life and available MSP) and fleet design and operations (including supply ships with support fleets, not just tankers and (maybe) colliers).   

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »
Another thought is also that maintenance facilities should perhaps not be built to just barely provide enough maintenance for your entire fleet? At least, that's how I used to do it in VB6 - build enough maintenance to maintain the largest ship, but now there could be an interest in building maintenance facilities because of MSP production, even if your entire military fleet is sufficiently maintained.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 06:26:34 PM »
Another thought is also that maintenance facilities should perhaps not be built to just barely provide enough maintenance for your entire fleet? At least, that's how I used to do it in VB6 - build enough maintenance to maintain the largest ship, but now there could be an interest in building maintenance facilities because of MSP production, even if your entire military fleet is sufficiently maintained.
The problem with building for peak load is that they then over-produce MSP most of the time, which can hurt you if you are in a mineral crunch.