Author Topic: Why does my tanker orders do not work?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Thrake (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Why does my tanker orders do not work?
« on: June 03, 2020, 05:08:21 AM »
What I intend to do: the tanker waits at the sorium harverster fleet that it harvests 14 million litres of fuel, and then transfers it to Earth, on cycling order.

In game, the tanker keeps going from Earth to the harvesters less than 1 million litres.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
Re: Why does my tanker orders do not work?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 05:38:04 AM »
I've only ever got minimum amount orders to work like you want with the "Load Mineral when X available" order.  I tried it with "Load all Minerals", and I just got an error in the log saying the goods were not available to load, and the fleet continued on with its next order (same as you get if you order it to pick up something that doesn't exist).

Not sure if this is a bug, or something that is not yet implemented, or I'm just not understanding what the purpose of this field is for these orders.

The following users thanked this post: Thrake

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 07:05:11 AM »
It feels like repeatable orders of this kind don’t really work efficient in Aurora. Maybe there should be a forum to rethink these kind of automations and a rebuild from Steve to create workable repeatable orders. I think the lack of usability in this area is the most annoying part of Aurora.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 07:41:20 PM »
Logistical orders in Aurora are a WIP.  Frankly it is a complicated topic since there are a lot of situational details that need to be accommodated to make it work well.  For gas miners the workaround I've been using is to give the miner 15-20% more fuel capacity than the tanker, set up an order template, and then fire it off manually every time the miner reports that it is over 90% full.  Not ideal but it works.

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 08:32:53 PM »
There is pretty easy albeit kinda crazy workaround for this. Requires manual calculations.

You can calculate how long it takes to mine so much sorium, do so in seconds. Add order delay. Done.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 09:48:57 PM »
There is pretty easy albeit kinda crazy workaround for this. Requires manual calculations.

You can calculate how long it takes to mine so much sorium, do so in seconds. Add order delay. Done.

then you research an upgrade to the mining output or put a different commander/administrator and done: you scr***d!

Ahahahaha

But yes, so far al you can do is to get order delays or even better get tankers/freighters to work at very slow speed. I for instance set 1-year trips (180days to go and 180 days to come back) and just get freighters and tankers in a cycle. Whatever they get they get and so I am sure I have a steady pick up and supply. When I upgrade tech or increase mines I just add another freighter/tanker if I can see too much is left behind.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 09:50:31 PM by froggiest1982 »

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Thrake

Offline Thrake (OP)

• T
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 04:17:24 AM »
Logistical orders in Aurora are a WIP.  Frankly it is a complicated topic since there are a lot of situational details that need to be accommodated to make it work well.  For gas miners the workaround I've been using is to give the miner 15-20% more fuel capacity than the tanker, set up an order template, and then fire it off manually every time the miner reports that it is over 90% full.  Not ideal but it works.

My harvesters are kinda "tiny" but many. They fit in my standard civilian ship size of ~35k so that my tugs can move them with their jump drives. I guess later on I will increase my standard size to build larger ships to fit massive sized engines, but for now I would need a gazilion tankers to get it done this way. But the tankers are designed with much larger fuel reserves as the military drives are the thirsty kind :)

Thanks guys. I had thought about some time delay, but it seemed like a hassle since I'm regularly shipping more harvesters. It looks like that the most convenient way to handle this then would be to design mobile harvesters when harvesting in a system with a colony. It's less efficient but a handful days not harvesting every now and then wouldn't be that bad.

Oh well. The calculation shouldn't be that hard. 15 million litres for the tanker, 576k litres per annum from the stations, so with one trip a year, the tanker can handle more than 26 stations. I have 16 harvesters, so that's 1.6 times 26, so a back and forth trip every 1.6 year should do. I want it to be done with 75% full tanks for conveniency sake, so a trip every 1.2 years, that will be a 38 434 500 delay. I'm not even losing that much fuel, a back and forth trip only requires 0.05% of the tanker capacity so I'm not wasting a significant portion of my fuel output.

Yes, that wasn't that bad. The real trick for "manual" automation though would be to come up with a formula to calculate how much to shorten the delay every time I add an harvester... looks a bit more complicated, that's too much maths for now :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 04:29:52 AM by Thrake »

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 07:02:12 AM »

My harvesters are kinda "tiny" but many. They fit in my standard civilian ship size of ~35k so that my tugs can move them with their jump drives. I guess later on I will increase my standard size to build larger ships to fit massive sized engines, but for now I would need a gazilion tankers to get it done this way. But the tankers are designed with much larger fuel reserves as the military drives are the thirsty kind :)

Thanks guys. I had thought about some time delay, but it seemed like a hassle since I'm regularly shipping more harvesters. It looks like that the most convenient way to handle this then would be to design mobile harvesters when harvesting in a system with a colony. It's less efficient but a handful days not harvesting every now and then wouldn't be that bad.

Oh well. The calculation shouldn't be that hard. 15 million litres for the tanker, 576k litres per annum from the stations, so with one trip a year, the tanker can handle more than 26 stations. I have 16 harvesters, so that's 1.6 times 26, so a back and forth trip every 1.6 year should do. I want it to be done with 75% full tanks for conveniency sake, so a trip every 1.2 years, that will be a 38 434 500 delay. I'm not even losing that much fuel, a back and forth trip only requires 0.05% of the tanker capacity so I'm not wasting a significant portion of my fuel output.

Yes, that wasn't that bad. The real trick for "manual" automation though would be to come up with a formula to calculate how much to shorten the delay every time I add an harvester... looks a bit more complicated, that's too much maths for now :)

To preserve sanity, don't try for perfectly efficient operations.
Here's how I manage:
I have a class design I call Timer. It is just an empty, unarmored hull. Costs 0.4BP.
I SM-add one of these to a fleet around an unused planet (I don't want to it to cause visual clutter around worlds I am actively managing.)
On Jan-1, I give the fleet cycling orders to
1) Move to the planet it already orbits, with a 1-year delay (31536000 seconds)
2) Send a message: "Happy New Year!"

This gives me an event interrupt every Jan-1.
I have a checklist of things I look into on this interrupt. The rest of the year, I spend no time managing these things.
For example, fuel hauling tasks.
I append the annual harvesting rate (base, not including bonuses) to the name of each harvesting fleet. (E.g. "Harvesters - ADE-10 - 5.76ML")
I have cycling orders for tankers to retrieve fuel from the harvesting fleets. In the name of each hauling fleet, I include the annual hauling rate of the fleet. (E.g. "TK ADE-10 2.4ML/yr Tanky 007")
I set these up so that I'm hauling away most of the harvested fuel on a continual basis, but I try not to over commit tankers.
On Jan-1, I examine each fuel harvesting fleet.
If a fleet is currently holding a lot of fuel, I task a tanker to retrieve it. (This might be immediately (if I have an idle tanker), or it might go on my to-do list for the year.)

That's it for managing fuel harvesting.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Graymane

Offline Graymane

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 08:05:13 AM »
That is quite a nice way to manage things!

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 01:31:01 PM »
I just brute force it and make small tankers and really big harvesting stations. The station fills up, but that means it can double as a gas station.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:43:12 PM by BasileusMaximos »