Author Topic: Jump Gate Constructors  (Read 1776 times)

Offline JimiD (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Jump Gate Constructors
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:57:59 AM »
For the avoidance of doubt, my understanding of jump gate constructing is set out below, which I would like some help on clarifying:

Only one ship can work at building a single jump gate at one time.

Additional Jump Gate Constructing ships within a Task Group, or additional Task Groups at the same location, do not speed up Jump Gate construction.

Multiple Jump Gate Constructing Modules on one ship do not speed up the process of Jump Gate Construction (this is not tested, but an assumption.  I have not had a yard big enough to build a two module ship).

The only way to build a Jump Gate faster, is to research the faster Jump Gate Construction module, and to build / refit a new ship.

I hope someone can help clarify this, I hate to thing my expansion was excessively slowed due to some oversight.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Jump Gate Constructors
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:59:13 AM »
Quote from: "JimiD"
For the avoidance of doubt, my understanding of jump gate constructing is set out below, which I would like some help on clarifying:

Only one ship can work at building a single jump gate at one time.

Additional Jump Gate Constructing ships within a Task Group, or additional Task Groups at the same location, do not speed up Jump Gate construction.

Multiple Jump Gate Constructing Modules on one ship do not speed up the process of Jump Gate Construction (this is not tested, but an assumption.  I have not had a yard big enough to build a two module ship).

The only way to build a Jump Gate faster, is to research the faster Jump Gate Construction module, and to build / refit a new ship.

I hope someone can help clarify this, I hate to thing my expansion was excessively slowed due to some oversight.

It all sounds correct to me.

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:01:22 AM »

Ooops - just realized this is not quite true.  You can speed up jump gate construction by putting a naval officer with the factory efficiency (I don't remember the exact name) in command of the construction ship.  Similar for terraforming and the terraforming ability for terraforming ships.

John

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

Ooops - just realized this is not quite true.  You can speed up jump gate construction by putting a naval officer with the factory efficiency (I don't remember the exact name) in command of the construction ship.  Similar for terraforming and the terraforming ability for terraforming ships.

John

Would an officer with crew training ability to increase the overall crew grade not work as well?
(@)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:44:08 PM »
Quote from: "MoonDragon"

John

Would an officer with crew training ability to increase the overall crew grade not work as well?

I'm pretty sure the answer is "no".  Construction ships (I'm pretty sure) don't care about crew grade.  In fact, assuming you've made them commercial, you should set them to use conscript crews (same as freighters, colony ships, and other commercial designs, none of which require maintenance).

John

Offline MoonDragon

• M
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:59:11 PM »
So, the crew grade bonus does not apply to whatever task your ship is doing? So, for a freighter it's better to have 20% bonus Logistics commander and -10% crew rating bonus, than 15% bonus Logistics commander and +10% crew rating bonus?
(@)

Offline Micro102

• M
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »
I think the factory skill helps build jump gates.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:45:42 PM »
So, the crew grade bonus does not apply to whatever task your ship is doing? So, for a freighter it's better to have 20% bonus Logistics commander and -10% crew rating bonus, than 15% bonus Logistics commander and +10% crew rating bonus?
I'm pretty sure crew rating applies to load/unload times, actually.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:06:01 PM »
Quote from: "Vanigo"
I'm pretty sure crew rating applies to load/unload times, actually.

I don't think this is the case, but do not know for sure.  I base this on three observations:

1)  The following (very old) rules post describing what crew rating does apply to: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=227 .  I know that this post is somewhat out of date, since crew grade also affects how rapidly a ship's TF training level goes up, but TF training was added after this post while load/unload has been around forever and I don't , plus....

2)  There's a separate bonus for loading/unload - the "logistics bonus".  This is aimed directly at load/unload, and takes effect through the TF mechanism.

3)  The crew grade bonus applies to individual ships, and therefore doesn't make sense for modifying load/unload times.  The reason for this is that load/unload happens at the TG level, not at the ship level, and so applying and/or averaging individual bonuses would create a coding nightmare (ok, maybe just a mildly disturbing dream) for very little gameplay gain.  In the past, it's been suggested that a ship's captain's logistic bonus affect load/unload time, and Steve never implemented the suggestion (to the best of my knowledge) - if he had the code already in place for grade to affect load/unload, then it would have been easy and logical for him to make the change for captain's logistics bonus.

As for crew grade affecting the time required for everything the ship does, I don't think this is the philosophy behind the rating.  I think it's more in line with the crew's effectiveness in military operations.  

Of course I could be wrong - I've not done the experiment :-)

John

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 08:11:37 PM »

John
Neither have I, per se, but I know I've seen loading and unloading actions take a few hours longer than they should, and low crew grade is the only thing I can think of that might do that. (Unless maybe having no commander gives penalties?)

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »
Quote from: "Vanigo"

John
Neither have I, per se, but I know I've seen loading and unloading actions take a few hours longer than they should, and low crew grade is the only thing I can think of that might do that. (Unless maybe having no commander gives penalties?)
Basic Cargo Load time in seconds is equal to the Cargo Space Used x 36.
This is divided by the Ship's Cargo Handling Multiplier
This is then reduced by any TF logistic bonus in the system
Finally, it is divided by (1 + Number of Spaceports at destination)

Crew Training and the logistic bonus of individual commanders have no effect

Steve