Author Topic: Missile Design?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline WCG (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • W
Missile Design?
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »
How do I design a missile? I mean, where do I design a missile? I did a search here, and there's advice on missile design available, but it doesn't seem to match any screen I can find.

On the "Create Research Project" page, there's a Particle Torpedo research type, which sounds right, but the only options are warhead strength, range, and capacitor recharge rate. I don't understand what capacitors have to do with anything, and there's no indication of missile size there,...  Actually, it doesn't sound like what other posts were talking about at all, unless it's just a matter of different versions or something.

I did a conventional start, so I'm trying to follow advice given here to create "size-24 TN missiles" to place in all those Missile Complexes. Are "Particle Torpedoes" missiles? (And if not, then what the heck are they?)  As I say, I can't find any place to indicate a size for them.

Also, I was advised that "PDC refits seem to be broken at this time." Is that true? I hope not, because I'm not sure I understand the work-around I was given. But I haven't designed any kind of fire control yet, so I'm a ways from trying it out, anyway. Right now, I'm just trying to see what kind of missile I can design with my low level of technology.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline AtomikKrab

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
Re: Missile Design?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:04:29 PM »
there should be two more buttons next to the research project button, turrets and missiles, the missile one brings you to the missile design screen

Offline Venec

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:05:02 PM »
Search for "missile" button on Population and Production screen. It's just next to "design".

Offline Micro102

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »
Also for your other questions, torpedoes are a type of energy weapon, normally they are missiles without turning ability but not in this game.

And i don't know about the prebuilt PDCs, but i say try it and if it fails use spacemaster.

Offline WCG (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • W
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »
OK, found it. Heh, heh. I didn't even think to look for buttons at the bottom of that screen. Frankly, I hadn't even noticed there were any buttons down there. I knew it had to be somewhere, but I sure couldn't find it.

Thanks, all of you, for the help!

Bill

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:47:48 AM »
Quote from: "WCG"
On the "Create Research Project" page, there's a Particle Torpedo research type, which sounds right, but the only options are warhead strength, range, and capacitor recharge rate. I don't understand what capacitors have to do with anything, and there's no indication of missile size there,...  Actually, it doesn't sound like what other posts were talking about at all, unless it's just a matter of different versions or something.

Particle Torpedoes are a form of energy weapon that shoot a "bullet" of particles at the enemy. In contrast to lasers, they do a fixed amount of damage over their whole range. Therefore, they do more damage at long range than a laser of equal tech/size, but less a short range.

Quote from: "WCG"
Also, I was advised that "PDC refits seem to be broken at this time." Is that true? I hope not, because I'm not sure I understand the work-around I was given. But I haven't designed any kind of fire control yet, so I'm a ways from trying it out, anyway. Right now, I'm just trying to see what kind of missile I can design with my low level of technology.

Thanks,

Bill

Yeah, PDC refit is broken, you can refit them, but they will never get the new stats. To circumvent this, after you refit them, you go into SM mode and change the design on the F5 screen. After doing this, all PDCs will have the new stats (yes, you could do this without refitting them first, but that would be cheating, and we don´t want to do this, now do we?  :)  )
Ralph Hoenig, Germany