Author Topic: creating an "honorverse"  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
creating an "honorverse"
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:34:18 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find what I needed.

I want to "create" a universe at the beginning of a game that includes 3 human races, each in a different system. Problem is, I don't want to have to explore and find 3 habitable planets first.

Can I create 3 seperate habitable planets in different systems with the SM at the begining? I see a "create sol system" button...

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: creating an "honorverse"
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:02:31 AM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find what I needed.

I want to "create" a universe at the beginning of a game that includes 3 human races, each in a different system. Problem is, I don't want to have to explore and find 3 habitable planets first.

Can I create 3 seperate habitable planets in different systems with the SM at the begining? I see a "create sol system" button...
The problem is that system generation is so complex in Aurora that you can't really step through it manually. It would take a long time and you wouldn't really know what consequences each decision might have. However, it isn't very hard to generate systems with habitable planets. Use the F9 window and keep pressing the Generate System button, which generates standalone systems without any chance of NPRs/Precursors. Delete the ones you don't like. You don't even need an ideal habitable world. All you really need is a terrestrial size body, including large moons, in the right general area. You can create an atmosphere in SM Mode and manipulate temperatures accordingly.

Steve

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »
Great! I'll try it. One final question...once I create these systems in the F9 window, when I start the game do I "see" them or, like any other system, I have to find them. I guess what I am asking is: is there a way in SM to set my created systems so that the are attached to sol w/ jump points...or is this something I shouldn't even try?

Thanks steve.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:48:05 AM »
Great! I'll try it. One final question...once I create these systems in the F9 window, when I start the game do I "see" them or, like any other system, I have to find them. I guess what I am asking is: is there a way in SM to set my created systems so that the are attached to sol w/ jump points...or is this something I shouldn't even try?
You should create an "SM Race", which is a race that you only use for creating the universe. I think there is an option on the New Game window to create this race for you. This is the race you use to create and modify systems and link them together if you wish. In SM Mode, the jump point tab of the F9 window allows you to link jump points in different systems. Once you have used the SM Race to create the universe, you can then populate it with the races that will actually be in the game. The advantage of the SM Race is that none of the races you create will possess the knowledge that the SM race needed to create the universe.

Steve

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:51:14 AM »
Alright...I'm on it. Steve, I will tell you that you have created an amazing game here...there is little that one cannot do. Again, thank you for not only releasing it publicly, but taking the time to update it and answer questions...for free.  Can't wait for 5.0 and the new fleet org system!

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 01:50:10 PM »
Ok, I am trying to set this up. 2 questions:

1. How do I change the atmosphere is sm mode? I hit f9 and see all the sm buttons but the closest I see is "update atmosphere"...doesn't seem to do anything though.

2. Once I created a player control race, do I have to delete the "sm race" that I don't want to play with? How do I do that if I need to?

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Disregard...I found out how to change atmosphere.

Second question remains though. Once I create systems and human npr for them, do I have to delete sm race or just select my race as default.

Also, when I created the races, up top it always says " controlling empire" and lists my own. I want the race that I created on that planet to be "controling empire" or does it even matter?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »
Ok, I am trying to set this up. 2 questions:

1. How do I change the atmosphere is sm mode? I hit f9 and see all the sm buttons but the closest I see is "update atmosphere"...doesn't seem to do anything though.

2. Once I created a player control race, do I have to delete the "sm race" that I don't want to play with? How do I do that if I need to?

1.)  You will need to create a colony for your sm race.  Then go into the F2 screen, enviroment tab (far left up top)  You can then edit the atmosphere as you want.

2.)  You do not need to delete the sm race as long as you never give them any population.  You can create colonies, but I would recommend deleting them as they might show up for anyone who puts a population on the planet, I can't quite remember if showing up requires some installations/population or not.

3.)  If you decide to create and then delete multiple systems looking for the system you want, make sure you put npr generation to 0% or you may get some funny errors.  If an npr is created but you then destroy the system they were in it does not destroy the race entry.  This can cause problems down the road.

Brian

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 03:48:20 AM »
Quote from: "Brian"
3.)  If you decide to create and then delete multiple systems looking for the system you want, make sure you put npr generation to 0% or you may get some funny errors.  If an npr is created but you then destroy the system they were in it does not destroy the race entry.  This can cause problems down the road.
NPRs and Precursors no longer appear in systems that are not generated through exploration (to avoid the problem you described).

Steve

Offline Micro102

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 04:53:30 AM »
I'm trying to add jump points to my systems, but when i press the "Add JP" button under the jump point tab, nothing happens.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 06:07:45 AM »
Quote from: "Micro102"
I'm trying to add jump points to my systems, but when i press the "Add JP" button under the jump point tab, nothing happens.
First make sure you have done a survey for the system.  There is a box in the lower middle that lets you know if the system has been surveyed.  If this does not help try to refresh the screen by clicking on the system name and re-picking it.  

If you are having problems with getting the jp to see other jp I sometimes have to select the jump point and click on break link.  Not sure of why, but it does work.

Anything else giving you problems, let me know.

Brian