Author Topic: Create New class and ship name  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Bartimeus (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • B
Create New class and ship name
« on: April 30, 2011, 03:30:02 AM »
Hello !

Sorry in advance for my bad english and if i have post at the wrong place !

So, ofr my campain i want add class name and ship name, i have follow the instruction in the game when you click on Add Theme or Add Name Ship but i have miss somethinck beaucause i can't use the name who i have add.

I want to create a Class Name who named "Germinal" and i want that the ship of this class wear automaticatly when  i create them the names(It's the name of month of our old republican calendar) :
-Germinal
-Floréal
-Prairial
-Messidor
-Thermidor
-Fructidor
-Vendémiaire
-Brumaire
-Frimaire
-Nivôse
-Pluviôse
-Ventôse

And i have the project to create over Class like this based on writers, french sailor, revolutionary army, departement(Var, Vaucluse,Marne,Normandie etc. . )

So i have two question, it's possible ? And if the answer is yes,how ? ^^ XD

Thinks for all ! And sorry again for my bad english !
++

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
Re: Create New class and ship name
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:15:30 AM »
On the Class Design Screen (F6), use "New Hull" to create the New "Germinal" class, it will ask you next for an abbreviation, the prefix used for short hand Identification (Like "DD" for Destroyer class, "CR" for Cruiser class etc). You will then be able to select Germinal in the Hull drop down box.

Next the names, while you can manually do this during construction, you can add a new list that will appear in the Name Type dropdown box of the DAC/Rank/Information tab on the Class Design screen.

Add a new list by creating a txt file called ShipNames.txt with the list of your ships names, remove all the accents and whatnots - ie "Floreal" will work, "Floréal" will throw errors on import. One name per line. Save that file in the Aurora install directory, and then from the main control bar, from the "Game" menu, choose "Add Ship Names". You will get a warning asking you if you have made the file, and how to go about making the file, if you have done it click yes and Enter a Category (for instance: "Germinal") Now Germinal will be an option in the Name type box and the game will use each name in the order typed.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
On the Class Design Screen (F6), use "New Hull" to create the New "Germinal" class, it will ask you next for an abbreviation, the prefix used for short hand Identification (Like "DD" for Destroyer class, "CR" for Cruiser class etc). You will then be able to select Germinal in the Hull drop down box.
It's probably obvious from context, but this function is more for "type of ship" (such as Destroyer), rather than "ship class" (such as Spruance, Kidd, Arleigh Burke, or Type 42).  In other words, the original poster only has to do this if the Germinal class is of a non-standard type, or if he wants a different hull-type information.
Next the names, while you can manually do this during construction, you can add a new list that will appear in the Name Type dropdown box of the DAC/Rank/Information tab on the Class Design screen.

Add a new list by creating a txt file called ShipNames.txt with the list of your ships names, remove all the accents and whatnots - ie "Floreal" will work, "Floréal" will throw errors on import. One name per line. Save that file in the Aurora install directory, and then from the main control bar, from the "Game" menu, choose "Add Ship Names". You will get a warning asking you if you have made the file, and how to go about making the file, if you have done it click yes and Enter a Category (for instance: "Germinal") Now Germinal will be an option in the Name type box and the game will use each name in the order typed.
One other piece of advice: after I've added the list to the executable, I change the name from shipnames.txt to something descriptive (like "GerminalNames.txt" or "Flowers.txt") and move it to a subdirectory of my install directory.  That way you don't have to type the stupid names back into a shipnames.txt when Steve comes out with the next (non-DB compatible) version and you start a brand new game.  Also, apostrophes (single quote marks: ') are REALLY bad since they're an Access control character, and you can't have any blank lines in the file or the import will throw an error.

John

Offline Bartimeus (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • B
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 12:29:16 PM »
Ok ! Think you very much  ! Now i can build my navy and conquered the word ^^.  Thinks for all men ;)
+