Author Topic: Making Earth uninhabitable  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Krictic (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
Making Earth uninhabitable
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »
Self-explanatory title, im in the process of writing and planning an entire new Aurora scenario, it is based on the premise that the Earth was rendered uninhabitable by a cataclysmic event and the only human colonies active at the time, on Mars and Luna were driven back to middle-ages levels of life standards and technologies, just barely avoiding extinction, and my game will be set hundreds of years after that (the colonists lost track of time).

My question is, how do i make the Earth absolutely uninhabitable and devoid of life (the cataclysm itself resulting in a heavily irradiated planet, but it is unkown if it was result of natural processes or of anthropic origins, like a nuclear war) and if it is possible to change things such as tidally locking planets or drying up the oceans.

Thanks.

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
Re: Making Earth uninhabitable
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »
You can't tidally lock a planet or dry up its oceans but you can add a ton of radiation to it and/or change its atmosphere. I think it would be very scary to come back to Earth to find it a dead rock with no atmosphere.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 12:35:44 PM »
Like stated above, just SM change Earth to have a slightly different atmosphere (a good mix might be 0.5 nitrogen, 0.1 oxygen, and 0.4 greenhouse/anti-greenhouse) and Nuclear Dust. What you can do to do a more "natural" change is you can SM some minerals and mass drivers on Luna and bombard Earth with it.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Krictic (OP)

• K
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 02:06:45 PM »
Like stated above, just SM change Earth to have a slightly different atmosphere (a good mix might be 0.5 nitrogen, 0.1 oxygen, and 0.4 greenhouse/anti-greenhouse) and Nuclear Dust. What you can do to do a more "natural" change is you can SM some minerals and mass drivers on Luna and bombard Earth with it.

Thats an excelent idea.

Thanks.

Offline Krictic (OP)

• K
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »
Another question: is it possible for a colony to revolt and become an independent faction? if so, what are the triggers? insufficient military force? insufficient police? if they can revolt, is that the entirety of the population or only a part of it? what i want to know is, is it possible to a civil war "naturally" erupt in a planet?

thanks.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 09:50:49 PM »
Sadly, no, but this was a suggestion others have asked for in the past.  You may want to to re-request this in the suggestions thread.

Offline Krictic (OP)

• K
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 11:28:32 AM »
Sadly, no, but this was a suggestion others have asked for in the past.  You may want to to re-request this in the suggestions thread.

I will.

Thanks.